The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2011-05-27, 08:50 PM
86.90 GB/89.18 GB/1.03

SHN Winamp confusion

I downloaded two shows from this site, Pearl Jam's MTV Unplugged show and Grateful Dead's Barton Hall show. They are boh in SHN, but they will not import into my Winamp library. Why is this?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-05-27, 11:16 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Re: SHN Winamp confusion

you probably need the Shorten plugin. I do not think SHN ever became native for Winamp, though FLAC did a while back.

try this

http://www.etree.org/cgi-bin/counter...are/in_shn.zip
Old 2011-05-27, 11:18 PM
200.09 GB/211.84 GB/1.06

I don't know why people are still using SHN at all. FLAC is so superior in all aspects.
Grab foobar2000 and use it to convert the SHN to FLAC and you'll suddenly be able to seek through the music.
Old 2011-05-28, 12:29 AM
491.13 GB/783.96 GB/1.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teembo View Post
I don't know why people are still using SHN at all. FLAC is so superior in all aspects.
Grab foobar2000 and use it to convert the SHN to FLAC and you'll suddenly be able to seek through the music.

Good call !
Old 2011-05-28, 08:07 AM
IC Elvis & hear God on my iPod
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Location: Latitude: 52,3500°, Longitude: 4,9167°, Altitude: High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teembo View Post
... foobar2000 and use it to convert the SHN to FLAC
TLH will do the same.
Old 2011-05-31, 04:01 PM
86.90 GB/89.18 GB/1.03

Thanks!
Old 2011-07-17, 03:03 PM
Στέφανος, Stephanos
7.20 GB/44.21 GB/6.14

For the most part people are not currently encoding with shn. The shows mentioned were encoded with shn years ago, as most were. As someone who listens to the music rather than seeking through it, re-encoding old shn to flac is just stupid.
Old 2011-07-18, 10:27 AM
co9ol
303.62 GB/388.57 GB/1.28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weir Back View Post
As someone who listens to the music rather than seeking through it, re-encoding old shn to flac is just stupid.
Unless who ever split the tracks did it right after a song ends and not before it begins. I have seen it where there was like a whole min of crown noise before the song began. Now that's worth skipping. (especially if you just wanted to listen to that one song)
Old 2011-07-18, 10:59 AM
Στέφανος, Stephanos
7.20 GB/44.21 GB/6.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by co9ol View Post
Quote:
As someone who listens to the music rather than seeking through it, re-encoding old shn to flac is just stupid.
Unless who ever split the tracks did it right after a song ends and not before it begins. I have seen it where there was like a whole min of crown noise before the song began. Now that's worth skipping. (especially if you just wanted to listen to that one song)
Dead air wherever it appears should never be skipped.
Old 2011-07-18, 01:45 PM
610.35 GB/661.45 GB/1.08

Using TLH you can create Skt files, thus making them "Seekable"
Old 2011-07-19, 05:47 PM
lintoni
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
For the most part people are not currently encoding with shn. The shows mentioned were encoded with shn years ago, as most were. As someone who listens to the music rather than seeking through it, re-encoding old shn to flac is just stupid.
flac compresses much more efficiently than shn thus using less hard drive space and is therefore more environmentally friendly and it is much easier to use across all operating systems than shn. Anybody who doesn't take advantage of flacs advantages over shn is just...
Old 2011-07-20, 08:09 AM
6.56 GB/31.69 GB/4.83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weir Back
Shorten is a closed format that was abandoned by its developer in 2003. In other words, its code can not be modified in any way and is quite literally obsolete at this point in time.

As more and more people stop using CD's and use their computer or portable player to play their music, the fact that shn can not be tagged with metadata becomes a real drawback. You might also consider that your ability to play or decode shn files is dependent on the one person who develops the software. These people have to remain on board to keep it current as new operating platforms emerge. Back in late '06 the shnamp plug-in for Winamp broke with the introduction of the latest Winamp model. It took 2 months for the developer to be informed of the break and get it working again. These kinds of issues are going to become increasingly prevalent as the number of shows circulating as shn files decreases further. Personally, I would not want my archive of shows to be stored as shn files.
Old 2011-07-20, 03:17 PM
Στέφανος, Stephanos
7.20 GB/44.21 GB/6.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by germain View Post
Shorten is a closed format that was abandoned by its developer in 2003. In other words, its code can not be modified in any way and is quite literally obsolete at this point in time.

As more and more people stop using CD's and use their computer or portable player to play their music, the fact that shn can not be tagged with metadata becomes a real drawback. You might also consider that your ability to play or decode shn files is dependent on the one person who develops the software. These people have to remain on board to keep it current as new operating platforms emerge. Back in late '06 the shnamp plug-in for Winamp broke with the introduction of the latest Winamp model. It took 2 months for the developer to be informed of the break and get it working again. These kinds of issues are going to become increasingly prevalent as the number of shows circulating as shn files decreases further. Personally, I would not want my archive of shows to be stored as shn files.
Re-encoding old file sets seems like a worthwhile endeavor until something else comes along and you have to do it all again. Good luck with this, I'll wait for Charlie Miller to flac an upgrade.
Old 2011-07-20, 09:30 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by germain View Post

Re-encoding old file sets seems like a worthwhile endeavor until something else comes along and you have to do it all again. Good luck with this, I'll wait for Charlie Miller to flac an upgrade.

this is a good point, but the idea is to transcode the closed-format SHN files to open-format FLAC, where everyone has access to the source code to keep the codec alive across platforms, as they come and go.
Old 2011-07-20, 10:51 PM
Στέφανος, Stephanos
7.20 GB/44.21 GB/6.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
this is a good point, but the idea is to transcode the closed-format SHN files to open-format FLAC, where everyone has access to the source code to keep the codec alive across platforms, as they come and go.
You can't argue with that, but since the holders of the original file sets can't help seed, germain better hope the folks snatching the re-encoded ones don't just convert to mp3 and shift delete the flac files, or he'll have to reseed them all himself.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble