The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2011-01-25, 04:21 PM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

Re: The discussion areas of TTD

as others have pointed out, most people come here for the music and likely not to have discussions
the average number of members that do frequent the lounge seems to have been consistent since the beginning

face it bill, this is a music site much more than a discussion board
K.I.S.S.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-01-25, 04:36 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_kate View Post
that forum as well as the others. Just some dedicated help for DCbullet from people that are not going to oppose changing things in a forum they don't even think is important to begin with.
What is it that Bullet needs help doing, again?
Old 2011-01-25, 04:43 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_kate View Post
that forum as well as the others. Just some dedicated help for DCbullet from people that are not going to oppose changing things in a forum they don't even think is important to begin with.
For the record, I don't think I need any help. If we were to change the way we moderated the Lounge, I would just change how I enforced whatever rules were decided on.
Old 2011-01-25, 06:13 PM
C'est Bon
218.25 MB/1.71 GB/8.04

Alright damn it...I'll be the "other people" everyone has been wanting to hear from. My two cents is that I actually spend more time in the lounge than I do in the music torrents. Personally, I have been trading for a long time, and got into doing it digitally with DC++. I have a shit load of music...probably more than I will ever be able to listen to. With that said, I enjoy spending time in the GD areas. Everyone here seems to have their own quirks (no big revelation there).

Grain of salt...

There seems to be a more serious vibe in all other areas of the site related to video and audio torrents, tech help, etc. It gets a little harsher in certain areas like the piano bar and the political forums. That's fine, you can't be super serious about politics or music, or people fly off the handle. Then we have the lounge. I think Lynne said it best in the posting guidelines...

Quote:
if you are here just to attack someone else or troll the forums, please leave. We don't want you here. If you are here to just sit back with friends, discuss different things on your mind, and occasionally take humorous stabs at each other, stick around!
That is really a solid 85% to 90% of what goes on in there. The tags are really just stabs at people...with a minor amount of trolling going on there. There are a few places with some trolling going on, but it is pretty isolated to mostly threads that Art likes to frequent. I personally don't have a problem with him, and actually find some of his flame ups humorous, and I'd say 97% of the trolling tags belong to him. Still, having the ability to put people on ignore generally helps.

Should the answer be to have a 100% unmoderated forum? I don't think it is, but it is a different way of thinking than what has already been thrown out there. If so, the lounge will have to heavily moderated to enforce the rules, and the only other option will be to push users over to an unmoderated forum to get back freedoms they once had. I will say that the rules are not enforced in the lounge...or at least very sparingly. Could there be a few people that need a temporary time out, sure...However, it could be a lot worse. It could really turn to a giant flaming shit hole, but for the most part the people that do frequent there have some morals, and common sense enough to cool out after a little while.

The be all end all is that I don't want to lose the freedom I have now in the lounge, and at the same time, I don't think an unmoderated forum would be a good thing either due to the total bullshit users would have to endure to have the freedom to post the way we do now.

At best I would say to bring back the temp ban from the lounge if you get too far out of line. If you take your aggression out in the other forums, then use a site wide temp ban, but with an emphasis on temporary. But, mods cannot be involved in the trolling activities or flame wars, and that is something that is best suited for another discussion brought up by someone other than B_K (don't do it ).

There is my long ass two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-funkenstein View Post
The DNC sucks.
Quote:
DISCLAIMER: This post is provided 'as is' for informational purposes only. The OP (Original Poster) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyTaper View Post
There is that unmistakable delicious air of animus wafting throughout the forum this evening
Old 2011-01-25, 07:02 PM
toys
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

well goddamn cheers to uni-fi!

next?
Old 2011-01-25, 07:14 PM
Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer is offline
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
For the record, I don't think I need any help. If we were to change the way we moderated the Lounge, I would just change how I enforced whatever rules were decided on.
Point taken.

I still maintain that it would not be a bad idea to have more coverage if the rules were to be changed or enforced more.

As it stands now, you have done a great job. I have personally not seen you get caught up in the crap there. You haven't quit yet and that is good.

To anybody willing to donate their time and energy to running this site. And a big thank you to the original 5-7 that gave so much time in creating the site in the first place.
Old 2011-01-25, 07:15 PM
Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer is offline
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys View Post
well goddamn cheers to uni-fi!

next?
Old 2011-01-25, 09:01 PM
Get Up For The Down Stroke
412.15 GB/5.07 TB/12.58

Since you're asking...

I'd kind of leave it more or less the way it is. I'm here for the music BUT I've benefited more in the forums in getting music here, especially the Piano Bar, but I also enjoy the Politics. I have a Mac in front of me quite a bit each day due to being a mod on another tracker (HC) that is down, and I mod on a technical discussion forum for guitar related gear. I'm active on other trackers but don't participate in the forums.

The TTD forums are very easy to get to and to navigate.

I lurked for a LONG TIME before I ever posted in the Lounge. WHY? ...because the core here is very tight knit and didn't always make it easy for some to fit in. That has calmed down a little bit over the past year. One of the more prolific lounge posters use to invite me into the lounge, but I knew it was just to fuck with a noob, so I ignored the invitation until I was ready.

I feel the Tracker Moderation here is very good and very fair.
Forum Moderation is "less good" but that's part of it. After all, you do have a warning/disclaimer, but at times I'm sure it has frightened off lurkers from participating in the lounge. I'm sure they UL and DL though.

From what I have observed and experienced, people with mod powers (stealth mods or trouble maker mods) need(ed) to be reeled in more at times. Although in the past few months it's much better. In all honesty, during my lurking, that fact kept me from making any meaningful contribution here for a long time. I'm sure it had the same effect on some lurkers too. Food for Thot.

Some people don't know how Forums on trackers can benefit them musically, and to me The TTD Forums (more the Piano Bar) are a more in-depth and direct way to get more of the music I like in bulk aside from the tracker, and much of it ends up on the tracker which benefits all interested. The Forums are definitely a good part of TTD for socializing and music.

I have met some very nice people here I can call friends and vice versa (yes it's true) and that is a good thing. We've mailed hard drives and flash sticks around the country, tested guitar stomp boxes, phone calls about guitars and amps, notifications of bands passing through, on and on and on... and I got a really, really nice and very usable Christmas/Birfday gift!!

I think the comments left on torrents here have good count when compared to other large trackers, and I think torrent comments here contain a bit more substance.

Tweak what you think you should tweak but the formula seems to be working, so if you make changes, I'd say small steps.

Thanks!

PT
Old 2011-01-25, 10:36 PM
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzman View Post
Since you're asking...

I'd kind of leave it more or less the way it is. I'm here for the music BUT I've benefited more in the forums in getting music here, especially the Piano Bar, but I also enjoy the Politics. I have a Mac in front of me quite a bit each day due to being a mod on another tracker (HC) that is down, and I mod on a technical discussion forum for guitar related gear. I'm active on other trackers but don't participate in the forums.

The TTD forums are very easy to get to and to navigate.

I lurked for a LONG TIME before I ever posted in the Lounge. WHY? ...because the core here is very tight knit and didn't always make it easy for some to fit in. That has calmed down a little bit over the past year. One of the more prolific lounge posters use to invite me into the lounge, but I knew it was just to fuck with a noob, so I ignored the invitation until I was ready.

I feel the Tracker Moderation here is very good and very fair.
Forum Moderation is "less good" but that's part of it. After all, you do have a warning/disclaimer, but at times I'm sure it has frightened off lurkers from participating in the lounge. I'm sure they UL and DL though.

From what I have observed and experienced, people with mod powers (stealth mods or trouble maker mods) need(ed) to be reeled in more at times. Although in the past few months it's much better. In all honesty, during my lurking, that fact kept me from making any meaningful contribution here for a long time. I'm sure it had the same effect on some lurkers too. Food for Thot.

Some people don't know how Forums on trackers can benefit them musically, and to me The TTD Forums (more the Piano Bar) are a more in-depth and direct way to get more of the music I like in bulk aside from the tracker, and much of it ends up on the tracker which benefits all interested. The Forums are definitely a good part of TTD for socializing and music.

I have met some very nice people here I can call friends and vice versa (yes it's true) and that is a good thing. We've mailed hard drives and flash sticks around the country, tested guitar stomp boxes, phone calls about guitars and amps, notifications of bands passing through, on and on and on... and I got a really, really nice and very usable Christmas/Birfday gift!!

I think the comments left on torrents here have good count when compared to other large trackers, and I think torrent comments here contain a bit more substance.

Tweak what you think you should tweak but the formula seems to be working, so if you make changes, I'd say small steps.

Thanks!

PT
Well put.

I have made some good friends in the general discussion areas at a few sites. As well as acquired a lot of great shows through those areas, 2 this week alone. A nice Coltrane show & just today a Robert Plant Band of Joy show. I have also been introduced to bands/artists/books through discussion. The amount of knowledge is amazing, technical knowledge and just information in general.
Old 2011-01-26, 06:51 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

i've agreed with most of what bill has said, and have seen less activity in the Lounge over the last few years...it used to be a far more diverse, interesting dialogue as opposed to what is now a lot of fighting over the same ol bs thats been fought over before, but now with rampant alias usage...yes this is a music site mainly, however the general discussion aspect has always played a role and was seen by many as one fo the few trading sites with an active general discussion side -- and folks liked that

its NOT about being tyranical or heavy-handed, its about squashing incessant bickering & trolling so that more interesting dialogue can take place...like uni-fi posted above, the freedom in there is great and i don't think that should change -- but enforcing the rules already in place such as this one

Quote:
if you are here just to attack someone else or troll the forums, please leave. We don't want you here. If you are here to just sit back with friends, discuss different things on your mind, and occasionally take humorous stabs at each other, stick around!
needs to happen and it doesn't...i don't care if its a noob, a returning "problem", a regular with "special priviliges", or staff, that rule needs to be enforced since some can't act their age! otherwise we get what we've got now, consistent trolling/attacking/etc creating an unfriendly, and as an old post whore, uninteresting, GD area

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
i also agree that i think dc is more than capable of handling it fairly & with little or no extra help...we simply need to enforce rules that we've openly decided to not enforce...very different from the rest of the site and a decision thats had a negative effect imo...

that said, i've brought up some of these issues & ideas before [long before bill started coming back around], and they've been met with similar response...personally, i think a small handful of folks enjoy the immature, mindless drivel that the Lounge has devolved to in a lot of ways & i think any opposing opinion, be it a Lounge regular or staff or someone who doesn't post in the Lounge, will be met with the usual response

hopefully some non-post whores will find this thread and comment, and their comment will be met with something other than a "stfu n00b" or a
Old 2011-01-26, 06:54 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

yes. two days and not a single comment.

that is a statement in itself. maybe we can get one today

there are currently 50 users on the site. good luck
Old 2011-01-26, 06:57 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

you know as well as i that folks don't check this forum wolf

i'd say this'll need to be an open thread and dialogue for at least a few weeks to start seein any response from non-pw's...kinda like the MD ban discussion, we had that open for months in order to get a wide response
Old 2011-01-26, 06:59 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

agree. my bot alias has two seeds in the top ten list.

this #1 seed at the moment has 4 pages of nice comments

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=89079

and it replaced a very sad remaster -- double bonus for everyone
Old 2011-01-26, 09:31 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I threw up a Notice. If people are interested in stating their opinion, they should now have a direct link here.

No scaring off the new users guys!

Old 2011-01-26, 09:51 AM
2.90 TB/11.24 TB/3.88

There are some artists that allow snail mail trading, but not torrents. Also there are some of us that may still dabble in the analog realm. Lets not give up on it; digital is still improving and it is the old analog recordings that the remasters have to come from. Additionally, there are a few of us that still take the tube mics and Reels out for a show.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions