The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-04-30, 07:17 PM
3.01 TB/2.59 TB/0.86

Illegal Sony DVD's & Nero

I am not a technophile by any stretch, however I'm hoping I'll be able to help others who may have experienced a similiar problem. After purchasing a new batch of Sony DVD-R's i began getting an Illegal disc message whilie trying to burn with Nero. After inspecting the disc's I realized that they were slightly different than the ones I had previously been using. New batch has "DVD-R Ver.2.1/1x-16x", old batch"DVD-R Ver.2.0/1x-8x" I use a Dell computer w/ Windows XP & Nero 6.3.1. Sony DVD Burner DRU 710A (Yes Sony discs non compatabile with Sony burner).Googled in the problem but the responses were a little over my head. After some trial & error, and a lot of new coasters I was able to fix the problem, so here it goes:

Figure out type of DVD Burner (For Dell Anyway)
http://support.dell.com/support/topi...c=us&cs=&s=gen

Go to appropriate burner

http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html#cat_slimdvdrw

Download firmware (Worked for me,a few choices-received a few unable to locate server etc., just went down the line.)

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1917

Restarted computer and was able to burn away, with no problem. This may seem longwinded, and a little elementary for some on this board, but I'm trying to save some the aggravation and a lost Sunday as I just experienced. Thanks..
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-04-30, 07:22 PM
calvin1663
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Illegal Sony DVD's & Nero

WOW...sony DVDs not working on a sony burner...that's true efficiency for you...

in the future, just buy a mac and save yourself the hassle

anyways, sorry to hear you got put to trouble.

calvin
Old 2006-05-03, 01:51 AM
791.86 GB/10.16 TB/13.14

btw, if you're using nero 6.3.x.x, you should really upgrade to the latest version of 6.6.1.4. lots of bugfixes between the version you're running and the latest release of 6.
Old 2006-05-03, 04:45 AM
3.03 TB/1.46 TB/0.48

Yeah Randy'sright treat yourself to the Nero upgrades, but that wasn't your problem, the firmware update for the burner definitely was, Firmware updates basically are little more than an extension of the media catolog that the device recognizes, I'll bet you notice other types of media giving you faster burn options too

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble