The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2009-02-20, 11:54 AM
21.76 GB/26.19 GB/1.20

Comcast blocking access?

Hi folks,

For the past few days I have been unable to access the TTD website from home (Comcast) - I have tried multiple machines & browsers. Do you think Comcast is blocking my access to the site? I am able to log in from work, no problem. I am also unable to download and seed torrents via uTorrent.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-02-20, 12:26 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Comcast blocking access?

I just checked the three IPs we have on file that you have used to access the site and none of them are blocked by us. If you are using a different IP than the ones you have posted with, you may PM me with it and I can check.

You might want to try pinging the site or doing a trace from your computer to see where it is being blocked.

What exactly is happening when you try to access the site from home?

Old 2009-02-20, 04:52 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

I had the same problem this past weekend with Comcast.

You didn't mention changing the port or port range you use for torrenting, however since you mention checking from multiple computers at home I'm assuming you are using a router between the cable modem and computers.

Change the IP address(es) you are using to torrent. I changed my router port forwarding from the 37000 range to 38000 range, then my torrent client to something in the 38xxx area and my torrents came back up within minutes.
If you don't know how to do this you'll have to post the equipment you are using (i.e., if you are using a router), the OS, and client (I use utorrent) for someone to give you the proper steps.
Also, a possible "I didn't think of that", but if you try computers that you normally don't torrent on, and don't have them registered in your router to allow port forwarding, they will be blocked by your router. You'll have to add your computer IP addresses to the router to allow the throughput. Of course that means setting up static IP addresses instead of DHCP so check on doing that too if need be here in the Techno section. There is the chance that if you rebooted your computers in a different sequence the IP address in the port forwarding config got assigned to one of the computers you didn't try torrenting on.

One last thought....depending on your router...could be something happened to reset it to the factory default settings so you might want to check to make sure your router is still configured the way you had it. Netgear routers have a tendency to do that after experiencing power surges so it's always a good idea to have your router on a surge protector at the least (UPS back-up is best). If you really have your router settings modded you should probably export the router settings (config file) to a location on one of your computers when you're set up so it's a one click restoration. Your owners manual can assist you with that.

Good luck.
Old 2009-02-20, 04:58 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

this sounds like a DNS issue..

if you know where your DNS settings are located - try adding an additional 'outside DNS server'

^a couple to test with.
Old 2009-02-20, 06:09 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh View Post
this sounds like a DNS issue..

if you know where your DNS settings are located - try adding an additional 'outside DNS server'

^a couple to test with.
Good catch on the small print. I had only seen about trouble with torrents. Had not noticed about being unable to access the Den website as well.

xcel most stuff I rambled about in my previous post. Except the part about backing up your router settings.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble