The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2009-04-16, 09:16 AM
257.26 GB/229.32 GB/0.89

Re: Our domains have been stolen

Welcome back. Thanks for the great service. Tim
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-04-16, 09:54 AM
Elvis has killed my ratio
35.01 GB/12.30 GB/0.35

Welcome Back !! :-)

Old 2009-04-16, 09:55 AM
983.91 GB/2.55 TB/2.65

Good luck Lynne. Keel-haul the bastard!!!!

(Sorry, watching pirates on TV.)

Thanks for all your hard work.
Old 2009-04-16, 02:08 PM
39.62 GB/41.38 GB/1.04

Great to see ThetradersDen back up and running. Hopefully the lowlife who caused the earlier problems will run into something sharp and nasty!

all the best.
Old 2009-04-16, 04:35 PM
Pottel
184.03 GB/284.91 GB/1.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
I wasn't talking about your password specific to TTD, but rather your passwords in general. The password he used to hack my account was one that I have used on and off for a couple of years. I hated the idea of always having to memorize a new one, so I was kinda rotating them from account to account. Not anymore. It's worth having to memorize new passwords after the hassle I've been going through!
know the feeling lynn.
get the bastard.
wasn't this topic an issue on here (another subforum) a while back??
Old 2009-04-16, 05:30 PM
655.79 GB/937.04 GB/1.43

Was he working on his own, or at the urging of a third party? If he's clever enough to do all this, surely he must have had enough exposure to the site to realise that despite the traffic through, it's a non-commercial set-up? Or, perhaps he's one of those idiot savants who's so intelligent he's got no common sense at all. A well paid job in computing is worth more than a couple of thousand dollars in blackmail, and all the hassle that goes with committing crimes and trying not to get caught; difficult these days, even if you're a politician!
Old 2009-04-16, 06:27 PM
394.72 GB/2.34 TB/6.07

keep us informed
Old 2009-04-16, 08:15 PM
Queen Collector
11.74 GB/12.87 GB/1.10

keep up the good work, well done and thanks!
Old 2009-04-17, 06:22 AM
152.86 GB/96.97 GB/0.63

Quote:
I hated the idea of always having to memorize a new one, so I was kinda rotating them from account to account. Not anymore. It's worth having to memorize new passwords after the hassle I've been going through!
Lynne,

There's actually a really cool program I use called "Roboform To Go". Its free. You can keep it on a thumb drive, It will create strong passwords for all your sites that you then access with a master password, you can save a backup file just in case, and it completely erases all traces of itself once unplugged. Check it out:

www.roboform.com/pass2go.html
Old 2009-04-17, 07:23 AM
Pick a bootleg... any bootleg.
420.86 GB/432.97 GB/1.03

Sorry to hear this, hope he gets his ass kicked!
Old 2009-04-17, 09:11 AM
Thread Killer
301.22 GB/627.00 GB/2.08

This is beginning to look like it might take a long time to resolve. I would have thought that even GoDaddy could figure this out and correct it by now.

I was holding off on changing my torrent files (my client allows for editing the tracker url) but maybe I'll just go ahead and do that.

Sorry you folks have to deal with this nonsense.
Old 2009-04-17, 09:28 AM
981.62 GB/865.25 GB/0.88

I don't understand all details about how one "steals a domain," but I hope you get justice - and some free service or something as compensation for the trouble. TTD's hosting service should have better security around their servers.

Have you considered moving to a more-secure domain server host? You might threaten GoDaddy with moving your business and spreading the news about their lousy service if you don't get some action quick. And contact someone in the press that can spread the word and investigate this major fuck-up.

My best to you!
TheTooleMan
Old 2009-04-17, 10:09 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

The domains have absolutely nothing to do with the hosting service. It is because of our good hosting service that they did not steal our servers also and it's also because of our hosting service that we have this domain up and running at the moment. Quickpacket, and Jeff, the owner, have been great throughout all of this.

The domains are hosted at godaddy. I purchased them from godaddy and left them at godaddy. All someone did is hack the account and ask to have them transferred and within a couple of hours they were gone. Just like that! They didn't ask them for a copy of my drivers licence or the last four numbers of the last credit card I used or a copy of my hosts business license. NONE of that was stuff they had to provide to get the domains moved. Yet I am having to provide godaddy with all of that stuff, and who knows what more they will come up with, in order to get them back.

Luckily, the site that currently hosts the domains is at least sympathelic to all of this. They've locked them down so they can't be transferred again. But, unfortunately, that is about as far as I am getting with these guys right now. It's fucking ridiculous how slow this is. I thought it would be something so obvious that they could quickly change it back. But, I was obviously wrong. That is why I finally took Quickpacket up on their offer to get another of our domains up and pointing to our site for now.

I think both Azureus and uTorrent will allow you to edit your announce url right in the client.

In Azureus, select all the torrents for ttd. Then, right click > Advanced > Tracker > Edit Tracker URL(s).
Picture 7.png

Then double-click on the url and remove the "the" at the beginning of "thetradersden". Hit Save.
Picture 8.png

That's it!

Old 2009-04-17, 03:05 PM
24.00 GB/185.76 GB/7.74

Quote:
This asshat has now been trying to blackmail me to get our domains back. He started at an asking price of $2500, but has since come down to the bargain price of $1750. I was stringing him along for a bit, letting him think I was gonna pay him, but finally just dropped all communication with him.
If I were you I would contact the FBI since what he is doing is using telecommunications in an attempt to extort money from you!
Old 2009-04-17, 05:13 PM
Cryptic1
803.80 GB/678.60 GB/0.84

Damn, I was freaking out for a minute there. Knew I'd have heard SOMETHING if this place was about to end, but a quick Google search proved my guess that a hacker must be involved (actually probably just an idiot... Wouldn't want to give them that much credit, extortion? from a non-commercial site???). Trader's Den is the coolest place. Keep on sharing! Even if you have to change domains. We'll get the word out about a new domain if it comes to that. Can't let some (pick your expletive) get in the way of the best music site/crowd on the net. Glad to see you got the new one up so quick.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions