The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2009-02-23, 02:06 PM
565.84 GB/822.21 GB/1.45

I'm better if shown as opposed to reading.

My ratio sucks( mostly due to downloading videos) and I would really like to seed (reseed?) some of the great shows I have gotten from the Den to improve my numbers, but I get totally intimidated by the jargon and find it very hard to follow the written instructions on how to seed a show. Is there anyone in the Burlington Ont. Canada area who might be able to show me in person how to do this. If anyone can help please drop me a line. thanks.

Brian
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-02-23, 02:36 PM
97.51 GB/219.10 GB/2.25

Re: I'm better if shown as opposed to reading.

I'm not from the area, but the easiest thing to do is to leave the torrent up after it's done.
Old 2009-02-24, 12:28 PM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

There's nothing difficult, just - as the previous poster said - don't close down any show once YOU reach 100%. Leave it open (which with the video torrents, can sometimes be for days, rather than hours), so that everyone else can get data from you. All the data that goes out helps your share ratio.
Wait until your torrent client shows 0 peers, then wait some more to see if anyone else joins again, then wait for it to show 0 peers again, until you're sure no-one else needs it.

You don't need to 're-seed' anything. If anything that you've got already is still active, just open it up in your torrent program, and let other folks access it.
Old 2009-02-24, 12:41 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

If one of the FAQ items is confusing you and you think it needs images to help, can you please post a link here so I can try to 'fix' it. We do try to make the faq items understandable to new users and I'm more than willing to try to improve them.

Old 2009-02-24, 01:50 PM
304.10 GB/469.31 GB/1.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEPSIMAN View Post
My ratio sucks( mostly due to downloading videos) and I would really like to seed (reseed?) some of the great shows I have gotten from the Den to improve my numbers, but I get totally intimidated by the jargon and find it very hard to follow the written instructions on how to seed a show. Is there anyone in the Burlington Ont. Canada area who might be able to show me in person how to do this. If anyone can help please drop me a line. thanks.

Brian
Don't jump on torrents that are at the end of their life. A torrent that has 25
seeders, no leechers and has been snatched 450 times is not good for your
ratio. You'll be the only leecher with no one to seed.

Do try to get on a couple of torrents early and stay on them until you've given
back more than you have taken.

Here's a real novel concept: try starting a torrent with a show you recorded
or grabbed in a trade. This would also help your ratio.....
Old 2009-02-24, 02:40 PM
565.84 GB/822.21 GB/1.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtaper View Post
Don't jump on torrents that are at the end of their life. A torrent that has 25
seeders, no leechers and has been snatched 450 times is not good for your
ratio. You'll be the only leecher with no one to seed.

Do try to get on a couple of torrents early and stay on them until you've given
back more than you have taken.

Here's a real novel concept: try starting a torrent with a show you recorded
or grabbed in a trade. This would also help your ratio.....
Thanks for the info. I really love the den and definitely want to give back. I started out taking large video torrents and didn't understand to leave the torrent open after it finished downloading which I've since learned. I think your first point has been my problem as I tend to go after older torrents. By getting on torrents early do you mean I should be taking shows which appear on the first page even if I have no interest in the show? Unfortunately I don't have the necessary equipment to tape my own shows and go that route.
Old 2009-02-25, 02:12 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.81 TB/9.59

Quote:
By getting on torrents early do you mean I should be taking shows which appear on the first page even if I have no interest in the show? .
It would be pretty silly to download stuff you don't want just to improve your ratio. Try to look at the first page more often, then you'll see shows you do want when they are first posted, and you can get on them from the start.
Old 2009-02-26, 10:49 AM
304.10 GB/469.31 GB/1.54

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I really love the den and definitely want to give back. I started out taking large video torrents and didn't understand to leave the torrent open after it finished downloading which I've since learned. I think your first point has been my problem as I tend to go after older torrents. By getting on torrents early do you mean I should be taking shows which appear on the first page even if I have no interest in the show? Unfortunately I don't have the necessary equipment to tape my own shows and go that route.
I'd never suggest to d/l shows you have no interest in just to raise your ratio.
I'm just suggesting you get on a few as early as possible and seed as long as
the torrent is still being grabbed.

Is this the only place you get live music? Unless you live on Mars you should
be able to record some FM stuff that people might be interested in having.

Sorry if my original post came off as sarcastic, I need to remember that not
everyone here is a taper........
Old 2009-02-26, 02:45 PM
739.36 GB/1.39 TB/1.92

Here is what I did when I found myself in the same dilemma and still do:

After you log on go to Orphaned Torrents which is located under the Torrents column. There are two small black arrows that can be used to sort the torrents alphabetically. Look for torrents that you have, click on the thread and start the torrent. You will now be seeding that torrent and be making someone else happy. It looks like you have a good number of shows if they are still on your hard drive. Too many people just leave a boat load of torrents running which makes everything crawl. Fewer torrents running is better.
Old 2009-02-26, 07:24 PM
565.84 GB/822.21 GB/1.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainy12 View Post
Here is what I did when I found myself in the same dilemma and still do:

After you log on go to Orphaned Torrents which is located under the Torrents column. There are two small black arrows that can be used to sort the torrents alphabetically. Look for torrents that you have, click on the thread and start the torrent. You will now be seeding that torrent and be making someone else happy. It looks like you have a good number of shows if they are still on your hard drive. Too many people just leave a boat load of torrents running which makes everything crawl. Fewer torrents running is better.
Thanks Rainy12 this is the kind of info I'd been looking for. I found two shows on the orphaned list and followed your instructions and am on my way to improving my ratio. Feel much better about helping others get the really good quality music that the den has to offer.
Old 2009-02-26, 07:28 PM
565.84 GB/822.21 GB/1.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtaper View Post
I'd never suggest to d/l shows you have no interest in just to raise your ratio.
I'm just suggesting you get on a few as early as possible and seed as long as
the torrent is still being grabbed.

Is this the only place you get live music? Unless you live on Mars you should
be able to record some FM stuff that people might be interested in having.

Sorry if my original post came off as sarcastic, I need to remember that not
everyone here is a taper........
thanks showtaper. I have jumped on two new torrents and am on my way. Don't worry about the supposed sarcasm as I've definitely seen much harsher comments than that. Help from you and others is what will keep the den rolling. I have gotten some really amazing music and am happy to be sharing it with others.
Old 2009-02-28, 09:50 AM
565.84 GB/822.21 GB/1.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRC View Post
There's nothing difficult, just - as the previous poster said - don't close down any show once YOU reach 100%. Leave it open (which with the video torrents, can sometimes be for days, rather than hours), so that everyone else can get data from you. All the data that goes out helps your share ratio.
Wait until your torrent client shows 0 peers, then wait some more to see if anyone else joins again, then wait for it to show 0 peers again, until you're sure no-one else needs it.

You don't need to 're-seed' anything. If anything that you've got already is still active, just open it up in your torrent program, and let other folks access it.
Thanks for the help. I have some shows on my hard drive that are still active (as in not orphaned) and when I try to open them in my torrent program it begins to download them again. the orphaned shows that need torrents begin seeding right away. Why is that?
Old 2009-03-04, 03:39 PM
739.36 GB/1.39 TB/1.92

Make sure the download location is the same as the torrent you are trying to seed. If you haven't been on that torrent recently normally it first will read the torrent to check if it needs any files completed or if it is complete.
Old 2009-03-04, 05:44 PM
96.09 GB/178.34 GB/1.86

Remember to say thanks for the torrent. This is a standard which you should always follow, but with the added bonus of moving the torrent back to the top of the front page.

You will be amazed at how many other people can then suddenly jump on to wanting the torrent because they have overlooked it in the past. I have found this especially true for older less active torrents.
Old 2009-03-06, 10:50 AM
The Happy Guy
559.93 GB/1.09 TB/1.99

buy a big external hard drive and dont throw away your torrent files when your done burning them.....just hold on to them..and when some late comer jumps on and wants a seed you will be there to help out....ive been doing this for years with the sublime DVD here....and go ahead leave the computer seeding over night and watch what happens.....

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble