The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-06-22, 03:54 PM
Zem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Question Okay to upload an analog master recording?

I have copied an analog recording into my hard drive through the Soundblaster Live! soundcard. The recording is of a bar band I made with a double ensemble microphone plugged into my stereo tuner/cassette player.

From what I've read in the archived threads, there doesn't seem to be a rule against uploading torrents that originated from analogs.. I just wanted to make sure I'm following the rules. Would it be allowable for me to upload this show?
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-06-22, 03:59 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Okay to upload an analog master recording?

Sure it's allowable. Just make sure you write out a text file that includes as much information that you know about the source/lineage of the show. It sounds like you already looked through our Audio BitTorrent Seeding Policy and Seeding Guide, so I won't reitterate that. If you need further help, just post back in this thread.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-06-22, 04:00 PM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Just take a look at the torrents... Zep from 1970, Thin Lizzy from 1973/4, Pink Floyd from 1970, a multitude of others from the early 1970s - there's no way that these are digital masters. Upload away, as far as I can see - unless a mod corrects me.

Regards, Graham
Old 2007-06-22, 08:24 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Analog is where it's at, man
Old 2007-06-24, 11:26 PM
Zem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
<snip>It sounds like you already looked through our Audio Seeding Policy and Seeding Guide, so I won't reitterate that. If you need further help, just post back in this thread.
I read through the audio rules and everything seems to be in order. Rule #2 speaks of gaps between tracks. I have 2 little dropouts in the encore and a tape flip in two songs, but no gaps between songs... Although, since they oddly dedicated a lot of songs to people before starting the songs and said their full names, I will need to edit out the names to protect the privacy of the dedicatees. I'll use CDWav so it should sound seamless. Hope this is okay.
Old 2007-06-25, 01:38 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

The gaps between the tracks thing is more about SBEs created when you don't cut the tracks on CD sectors. It's a technical thing, unrelated to the audio source's imperfections.
Old 2007-06-25, 09:17 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

^^ what he said.

The gaps we don't want are either SBEs introduced because the tracks weren't cut on sector boundaries, or gaps that are introduced when someone goes from mp3>wav (in which case we don't want the show here anyway). Dropouts are just life. It's usually nice to note them in the text file so you don't get a bunch of people asking about them in the thread. And, you should also mention that you edited out the full names, again so that it doesn't get brought up in the thread. Oh, and also just because a good text file is a good idea.

Old 2007-07-13, 02:53 PM
Zem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Flac fingerprint

I am ready to upload the torrent, and I hope everything goes well with Azureus. Just one sticking point. I don't know how to make a flacprint. I have clicked on the Fingerprint button in Flac 1.7.1 Free Edition both before and after encoding the wav files. I create the txt file but there's no text in either file.

How do I make a flac fingerprint? I'm working in windows 98.
Old 2007-07-13, 04:12 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Re: Flac fingerprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zem
I am ready to upload the torrent, and I hope everything goes well with Azureus. Just one sticking point. I don't know how to make a flacprint. I have clicked on the Fingerprint button in Flac 1.7.1 Free Edition both before and after encoding the wav files. I create the txt file but there's no text in either file.

How do I make a flac fingerprint? I'm working in windows 98.

you have teh right idea, but I think you may be forgetting to reload the FLACs and are trying to FFP the .wav files you encoded?

1) no need to click the fingerprint button before you encode the wavs to flac. there's nothing to FFP yet.

2) once you encode the wavs to flacs, clear the little file window to get the wavs out and put in just the FLACs.

3) once the flacs (all of them, in order) are in the window without the wavs, THEN click the FFP button and name teh .txt file.

It think that'll do it for you.
Old 2007-07-13, 06:04 PM
Zem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

So easy--thanks!
Old 2007-07-13, 11:07 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

what are we uploading? better be good!
Old 2007-07-14, 01:34 AM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Loverboy cover band.
Old 2007-07-14, 01:56 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

as long as it's not Quarterflash in @ Portland High in 1978
Old 2007-07-14, 10:09 PM
Zem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

My torrent thread is the Voodoo Birds one. I'm trying to seed it now. Azureus has placed the torrent in the seeding window and it says "1st Priority," with the blue face that tells me I'm not connected to any peers (ahem, hint). Availability is 1.0 and Downloaded is 100%. Uploaded = 0.0KB. And I'm listed as the seeder in the thread. So I'm assuming everything is OK. Enjoy!
Old 2007-07-16, 02:28 PM
3.74 TB/2.31 TB/0.62

Lynn is always ready to help, what an amazing woman!!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble