The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2022-03-20, 07:11 PM
321.43 GB/929.11 GB/2.89

Just switched to a Mac

SSIA, but I have a couple of questions:

1) The big one, honestly, is that it says I'm either firewalled, or since I'm using Vuze, it seems to stop seeding after downloading. I don't have the firewall enabled on the Mac, and I set the listening port on Vuze to the same one I'd cleared on my router for uTorrent. I honestly don't understand why Vuze stops after uploading only a few megabytes.

2) Not as severe yet, but I have macOS Catalina installed on this Late 2015 iMac. It says it could upgrade to Monterey, but it's not letting me. I've tried through the App Store, I've tried a Terminal command, and I've tried Online Recovery. What am I doing wrong? Or, is it broken and need fixed?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2022-03-23, 01:18 PM
co9ol
303.62 GB/388.57 GB/1.28

Re: Just switched to a Mac

I use to use Vuze but honestly I like qbittorrent way better. Less bloat simpler to deal with. Give it a try!

As for #2 if you've got Catalina you're doing better than me, I'm stuck with High Sierra. As for what to do I'd have to play around with it. There is an option of downloading Monterey, sticking on a USB drive, booting into recovery and then installing it from there. That would only work assuming your Mac is compatible and it might also wipe your files.
Old 2022-04-05, 11:56 AM
321.43 GB/929.11 GB/2.89

So, I took my iMac up to my nearest Apple Store, since this past Saturday, when I followed the directions to do do a clean installation of macOS Catalina, I bricked it. It didn't matter that I bought this from eBay; they put Monterey on at no cost other than the 400 miles worth of gas I used to go to the Pittsburgh area and back twice, and get food for my kids.

I went with BiglyBT 3.0, since it's Dime approved. I figured out also that my router's firewall was set up for the ports on my Windows PC specifically. I set it up for my iMac, and I can torrent again!
Old 2022-05-19, 06:46 PM
2.21 TB/3.10 TB/1.40

Hi there - As a fellow Mac user, I've actually been hitting a wall when trying to *download* torrent filesets created with qBittorrent, and I've heard some chatter from other folks that it's not just me.

I used to use Vuze / Azuerus some years ago, but the bloat / ads / malware got to be too much. I don't do DIME, but since my wife likes to surf while she works on her desktop, she uses Transmission v3.00, which is extremely lightweight and ad-free, which convinced me to use it my laptop for TTD and LL. The only torrents I've run into any issues trying to download have been created with qBittorrent, as it creates little gnat-like ".pad" files, and some clients won't allow those to pass the check process. Other folks' mileage may vary, but I'm just sharing this here for whatever it might be worth. Cheers!

• • • •

Quote:
Originally Posted by co9ol View Post
I use to use Vuze but honestly I like qbittorrent way better. Less bloat simpler to deal with. Give it a try!

As for #2 if you've got Catalina you're doing better than me, I'm stuck with High Sierra. As for what to do I'd have to play around with it. There is an option of downloading Monterey, sticking on a USB drive, booting into recovery and then installing it from there. That would only work assuming your Mac is compatible and it might also wipe your files.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble