The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-01-05, 07:56 PM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

Re: Help with Port Forwarding...

It seems my post helped. Yay!

I knew that would help.
we are not dead. we do not plan to die until august 24, 2098. our death will take place in the middle of a 96-minute guitar solo that we will perform wearing a robotic exoskeleton. it will be broadcast live from alpha colony via brainwave-cable, as part of vh1's telecast of the monsters of metaphoric science rock reunion tour.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-01-05, 08:06 PM
94.52 GB/71.43 GB/0.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by randytravis
also, another note:

if you're using bittornado, make sure to uncheck the 'randomize ports' box in the prefs, and specify the ports you want to use in the boxes above that.

I wondered about this but left it. I've just unchecked it now--let's see what kind of impact this additional step has . . .
Old 2005-01-06, 12:30 PM
12.38 GB/18.06 GB/1.46

Many thx for all the above suggestions! I was struggling with d/load speeds of around 5kbs and always had a yellow light. I opened the ports like it said on the link gave by randytravis and the light turned green and my speed shot up to 35kbs!

Thx again!
Old 2005-01-06, 12:34 PM
11.76 GB/25.98 GB/2.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMettaMan
Wish I could say the FAQ was helpful for me. *sigh* I've been banging away at this for several weeks and not getting it. I find the number of choices and variables involved somewhat confusing.

I, too, have a Linksys router, but I have been unable to find any combination of settings that allows me to get rid of the cursed yellow light. I use Bit Tornado and changed the port settings in there as well but I am not sure it's helped.

I thought I'd see how the HUGE Miles in Belgium seed would go (want to hear the '83 show with Sco and Stern REALLY badly), but it'll take me a week to get it done at my current rates.

If anyone can help out I surely would appreciate it. I want badly to be able to make the most of these opportunities and share back but I can't seem to get the settings working properly.

IM

http://www.linksys.com/tech_helper/advanced.html
Old 2005-01-06, 07:10 PM
94.52 GB/71.43 GB/0.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider

Yes, I saw and employed a version of this from someone's "Links" page somewhere yesterday. These steps also turned out to be part of the equation.

MANY, many thanks to all in the Trader's Den who have contributed over the past 24 hours.

I don't normally make a fuss about differences, but in this case I will, largely because I have been quite frustrated in my previous attempts to get some help with this whole port forwarding issue. I know there are many others out there who have had the same kind of trubs, and have experienced many of the same frustrations, unfortunately . . .

I have found this group to be much more helpful than another group where I sought assistance. I expect it has something to do with the size of the group, but also the tone set by the mods and organisers. Thanks to you all. Can't wait to hear this latest batch of Miles when it's off.

IM
Old 2005-01-07, 03:46 PM
94.52 GB/71.43 GB/0.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Not only will *you* be much happy\ier, but you will make the others around you much happier. I know that I get very frustrated when I see that a show needs a seed, so I hop on to seed only to find out the leecher doesn't have his ports forwarded and therefore can't connect to me.
So, now that I am beginning to 'get' all of this stuff, answer me this question related to U2Lynne's point above.

When I come home from work I see that there are still 4 peers to whom I am attached, and I am still green light. However, none of the 4 peers is getting _any_ upload rate, as indicated in my standard bt window, or in the advanced window, does this mean they are firewalled and incapable of leeching from me anyhow?

IM
Old 2005-01-08, 05:57 PM
46.44 GB/30.23 GB/0.65

Question Re: Help with Port Forwarding...

I am so frustrated with this Port Forwarding, and I think I've got a relatively simple setup. I just don't understand the terminology (TCP and UDP, Local Server, Client, Remote Server, Client and corresponding ports to forward) and can't determine where to make the config changes in either the bt client or the firewall.

I have WinXP (Win firewall turned off), Azureus 2.2, and the Sygate personal firewall. I thought I had the settings figgured out before, and had what might have been decent uploads at nearly 40 kB/s but thought I could improve speeds after reading some other sites/threads. SO I tinkered, and now I get 0 kB/s. I think I tried to set the ports in Sygate to the 6881-6889 range for the
remote server, and now it's dead. I think Azureus, since it's a java application, needs to have both Azureus and JavaW set up in the firewall, but I don't know that for a fact. I also fiddled with the UnPNP plug-in, and disabled it as some other page suggested that, but I just got more confused. I've tried to undderstand the Azureus setup post higher in the thread, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

My ISP is SBCglobal dsl (adsl?) and a decent connection of 1.2 Mbs (claimed, but today seems slow?). I don't get the same IP everytime I connect, so I don't know what to do with that field in the firewall either. So, does anyone completely understand my frustrations, and can come to my rescue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeath
I don't think I saw this in any FAQ here or linked from here. Maybe I'm blind. But I think something should be added to wherever saying this:

"If you don't know your computer's IP address, go to:

Run -> Type 'cmd' -> Type 'ipconfig' at the command prompt

It's the first one listed."

It's different for those without Windows XP, so maybe add that one, too. If I had seen that before, I wouldn't have had trouble.

Roger Waters - Hamburg 1970
Old 2005-01-08, 07:18 PM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

Are you saying the IP address that's first on the list when typing 'ipconfig' into the command prompt is the one that changes all the time?
we are not dead. we do not plan to die until august 24, 2098. our death will take place in the middle of a 96-minute guitar solo that we will perform wearing a robotic exoskeleton. it will be broadcast live from alpha colony via brainwave-cable, as part of vh1's telecast of the monsters of metaphoric science rock reunion tour.
Old 2005-01-08, 09:10 PM
96.33 GB/103.19 GB/1.07

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMettaMan
When I come home from work I see that there are still 4 peers to whom I am attached, and I am still green light. However, none of the 4 peers is getting _any_ upload rate, as indicated in my standard bt window, or in the advanced window, does this mean they are firewalled and incapable of leeching from me anyhow?

IM
With your firewall turned off, they should all be able to connect with you. However, if they are all firewalled, they will not be able to connect with each other. This means that all 4 will be downloading straight from you.

The idea of Bit Torrent is that you get pieces of the show from a variety of people connected to the torrent. Ideally, the 4 peers should be sharing the data amongst you and each other. The firewall does not allow them to share with each other, thus the must all connect to you. This means they all have to share your upload rate and will most likely get pretty shity speeds.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 2005-01-09, 09:30 AM
46.44 GB/30.23 GB/0.65

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeath
Are you saying the IP address that's first on the list when typing 'ipconfig' into the command prompt is the one that changes all the time?
no actually the Ethernet adapter address stays the same, it's the second IP address (PPP adapter number) that changes. I hadn't realized that before.

Old 2005-01-09, 10:25 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

malik, when you do the ipconfig, if you are using a router, it should give you an IP Address that looks like 192.168.1.xxx. That is the IP address that you will put into your router when you go to forward your ports. It is also what is called your 'local' IP Address since it is the one given to just your computer within your local network at home.

Old 2005-01-09, 01:33 PM
46.44 GB/30.23 GB/0.65

No network, no router. Just a Sygate firewall and can't figure out which numbers go where.

Have a look at this scrnshot.

Attached Images
File Type: gif sygate.gif
( 44.7 KB, 69 views)

Old 2005-01-09, 02:43 PM
88.50 GB/96.91 GB/1.09

OK... here is my problem..

I have a linksys router AND a Belkin Wireless router. The linksys is hooked up to the modem and the Belkin is connected to port 1 on the linksys and everything works fine. Before i hooked up the Belkin my computer worked great with bit torrent and i had a green light everytime.

on the linksys router i have all the port forwarding and everything setup to be routed to 192.168.1.100 (that is the IP that the Belkin router is hooked up to) and on my Belkin I have all the port forwarding and stuff going to 192.168.2.9 which is the IP my computer is at. And now i get a yellow light and very slow speeds.

Any suggestions?

MY DVD LIST
Old 2005-01-12, 01:40 AM
46.44 GB/30.23 GB/0.65

aw, fuckit, this sucks. I've got the simplest setup, just Azureus and Sygate firewall, and I've run though the Portforwarding Azureus page from U2Lynne's link, and still only get "Unable to test" on the Configuration Wizard for the Incoming TCP listening port and connection timeouts when I try to start a .torrent. What burns me is that it worked just fine before I started fucking around with it, hoping to get better than 35 kB/s uploads.

Goddamn it, I feel like I've done everything right, but it must be some stupid little thing I don't understand, or some checkbox that should be marked (and I did uncheck the UNPnP as mentioned.) this is why i just hate computers.

Old 2005-01-12, 06:55 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

malik, I know nothing about Sygate, so I can't help at all with that, but 35 KB/s upload may be all that you get. Your upload is pretty much dependent on your ISP and which 'package' you signed up for.

You do know that on Azureus it can't do the Configuration Wizard check unless you haven't started any torrent since you started Azureus? You need to start Azureus and before starting any torrent do the CW test, otherwise it will tell you it can't do it.

cordevil, you might want to double check the IP of your computer by doing an ipconfig. And also, have you made sure that DHCP is turned off for your computer? I'll have to think a bit more about this one though.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble