The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-01-05, 04:30 AM
56.17 GB/77.80 GB/1.38

Re: Help with Port Forwarding...

I think my router is the same model as yours and I went through EVERY method of forwarding, following the instructions to the letter before finally getting the green lights.
I use Azureus and enable the UPnP plug in in both Azureus and the router (Utilities->System settings->UPnP Enabling), but I think this will suffice for other BT clients.
Go to the Virtual servers page of the Firewall tab and create these 4 rules:

1.(description) Bit Torrent (Inbound Port) 6881-6881 (Type) UDP (Private IP Address) The IP you've assigned to your BT 'puter (Private Port) 6881-6881

2.(description) Bit Torrent (Inbound Port) 6881-6999 (Type) TCP (Private IP Address) The IP you've assigned to your BT 'puter (Private Port) 6881-6999

3.(description) Bit Torrent (Inbound Port) 7000-7000 (Type) TCP (Private IP Address) The IP you've assigned to your BT 'puter (Private Port) 7000-7000

4.(description) Bit Torrent (Inbound Port) 6969-6969 (Type) UDP (Private IP Address) The IP you've assigned to your BT 'puter (Private Port) 6969-6969

The Azureus UPnP creates these rules:

(description) Azureus UPnP (Inbound Port) 6881- (Type) UDP (Private IP Address) The IP you've assigned to your BT 'puter (Private Port) 6881-

(description) Azureus UPnP (Inbound Port) 6881- (Type) TCP (Private IP Address) The IP you've assigned to your BT 'puter (Private Port) 6881-

I think the rules regarding ports 6969 & 7000 are to do with running a tracker with Azureus yourself, but to be honest I was so chuffed to actually get the ports forwarded I haven't wanted to change anything.

HTH
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-01-05, 07:53 AM
820.11 GB/2.15 TB/2.69

I'm also a novice with port forwarding etc.........but I used Raindawg's faq here to finally solve the problem. Did you go to the ftp settings on your router and open ports there? I have a Linksys and thanks to Raindawg I got them open. Once I did that my speeds jumped big time. The comcastards cap my uploads at 30kbs, which I hit and with a well seeded show I can get almost 200kbs download speed. Keep working at it.......you'll be a happy man although it makes it much harder to keep your share ratio pretty.
Old 2005-01-05, 12:16 PM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

I saw a significant boost, and it seemed to be back to normal, but then the speeds went down again. I'm getting slightly faster speeds (not considerable), but it seems like uploads are capped.

I'll deal with this for now...
we are not dead. we do not plan to die until august 24, 2098. our death will take place in the middle of a 96-minute guitar solo that we will perform wearing a robotic exoskeleton. it will be broadcast live from alpha colony via brainwave-cable, as part of vh1's telecast of the monsters of metaphoric science rock reunion tour.
Old 2005-01-05, 12:37 PM
389.16 GB/867.01 GB/2.23

have you capped your upload a bit? If you are still using the bit tornado, adjust your upload rate (ask Lynne about this). Also how many windows do you have open? when I first started d/lding and hadn't figured out my ports, I was still getting around 30 up/down.
Old 2005-01-05, 01:17 PM
791.86 GB/10.16 TB/13.14

you need to forward the ports on the built-in windows firewall, or completely disable it and go for an aftermarket alternative. here's some more info:

http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/25.html
Old 2005-01-05, 01:33 PM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

Quote:
Originally Posted by randytravis
you need to forward the ports on the built-in windows firewall, or completely disable it and go for an aftermarket alternative. here's some more info:

http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/25.html
I already did everything with Windows before. I disabled everything I didn't want when I got the computer.
we are not dead. we do not plan to die until august 24, 2098. our death will take place in the middle of a 96-minute guitar solo that we will perform wearing a robotic exoskeleton. it will be broadcast live from alpha colony via brainwave-cable, as part of vh1's telecast of the monsters of metaphoric science rock reunion tour.
Old 2005-01-05, 01:37 PM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson
have you capped your upload a bit? If you are still using the bit tornado, adjust your upload rate (ask Lynne about this). Also how many windows do you have open? when I first started d/lding and hadn't figured out my ports, I was still getting around 30 up/down.
I had to cap my upload because I'm uploading 2+ times as much of everything. I'll surely run over my upload limit for the month before a couple days from now. Before then, the speeds were even slower. I'm using ABC still. BitTornado isn't my favorite.

I've tried having only one, maybe two windows open at a time and it didn't do anything. Right now, one is going at 14-15K/s, and sometimes another gets there but drops again.
Old 2005-01-05, 01:43 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I have a whole bunch of links about Port Forwarding in the Other Links page (under Quick Links in the menu bar). I also have a couple of things in my signature.

Old 2005-01-05, 02:06 PM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

I figured it out! I had the wrong IP address in my router's Virtual Server setup! I changed it, and now my torrents in ABC turned green.
Old 2005-01-05, 02:17 PM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

I don't think I saw this in any FAQ here or linked from here. Maybe I'm blind. But I think something should be added to wherever saying this:

"If you don't know your computer's IP address, go to:

Run -> Type 'cmd' -> Type 'ipconfig' at the command prompt

It's the first one listed."

It's different for those without Windows XP, so maybe add that one, too. If I had seen that before, I wouldn't have had trouble.
Old 2005-01-05, 06:38 PM
94.52 GB/71.43 GB/0.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFromMa
I'm also a novice with port forwarding etc.........but I used Raindawg's faq here to finally solve the problem. Did you go to the ftp settings on your router and open ports there? I have a Linksys and thanks to Raindawg I got them open. Once I did that my speeds jumped big time. The comcastards cap my uploads at 30kbs, which I hit and with a well seeded show I can get almost 200kbs download speed. Keep working at it.......you'll be a happy man although it makes it much harder to keep your share ratio pretty.
Wish I could say the FAQ was helpful for me. *sigh* I've been banging away at this for several weeks and not getting it. I find the number of choices and variables involved somewhat confusing.

I, too, have a Linksys router, but I have been unable to find any combination of settings that allows me to get rid of the cursed yellow light. I use Bit Tornado and changed the port settings in there as well but I am not sure it's helped.

I thought I'd see how the HUGE Miles in Belgium seed would go (want to hear the '83 show with Sco and Stern REALLY badly), but it'll take me a week to get it done at my current rates.

If anyone can help out I surely would appreciate it. I want badly to be able to make the most of these opportunities and share back but I can't seem to get the settings working properly.

IM
Old 2005-01-05, 06:42 PM
94.52 GB/71.43 GB/0.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeath
I don't think I saw this in any FAQ here or linked from here. Maybe I'm blind. But I think something should be added to wherever saying this:

"If you don't know your computer's IP address, go to:

Run -> Type 'cmd' -> Type 'ipconfig' at the command prompt

It's the first one listed."

It's different for those without Windows XP, so maybe add that one, too. If I had seen that before, I wouldn't have had trouble.

WHOA! Just after I posted that last message I saw this one and checked it out. Seems like changing this had a positive effect. I have a green light for the first time. Cool!
Old 2005-01-05, 07:10 PM
791.86 GB/10.16 TB/13.14

also, another note:

if you're using bittornado, make sure to uncheck the 'randomize ports' box in the prefs, and specify the ports you want to use in the boxes above that.
Old 2005-01-05, 07:14 PM
96.33 GB/103.19 GB/1.07

Congrats guys. You're about to become much happier Bit Torrent users
Old 2005-01-05, 07:32 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Not only will *you* be much happy\ier, but you will make the others around you much happier. I know that I get very frustrated when I see that a show needs a seed, so I hop on to seed only to find out the leecher doesn't have his ports forwarded and therefore can't connect to me.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble