The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-05-17, 12:34 AM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Re: DVD Architect ?

I have "found" an encoder listed on the newsgroups that can losslessly compress audio for use on a DVD

This encoder will reduce the maximum instantaneous peak data rate to get the 13.82Mbps data rate of six channel surround 24 bit/96kHz PCM audio under the 9.6Mbps limitation of DVD.

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-05-17, 03:30 PM
stupid monkey
693.59 GB/1.07 TB/1.58

dvd9 questions..use for authoring dvds

i have some really good dvd authoring coming up...i am starting to think about using dvd9 instead of the single dvds..to those who author dvds using dvd9..what is the max amount of time you can stick on a dvd9..i know times very..but 3 hours..would that be to much..how much time is too much before you loose some of the quality...+ anyother info on dvd9s would be great..
thanks...
Old 2006-05-17, 06:34 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: dvd9 questions..use for authoring dvds

shouldn't be a problem bigwu...really all depends on what bitrate setting you use...but really, anything above 7Mbps is gonna be top form, atleast when it comes to live shows
Old 2006-05-18, 04:20 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggrd
I have "found" an encoder listed on the newsgroups that can losslessly compress audio for use on a DVD

This encoder will reduce the maximum instantaneous peak data rate to get the 13.82Mbps data rate of six channel surround 24 bit/96kHz PCM audio under the 9.6Mbps limitation of DVD.
Do share. Do share. What might the name of such magical encoder. Sounds kewl.
Old 2006-05-19, 12:54 AM
yeltzin_4
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBlues
I have a video I rendered in Vegas @ 8200 max, 8100 avg, 8000 min Kbps. So when I added the 3 separate PCM audio sources, the bitrate is just over 13 Mbps, when I think it should be no more than 10 Mbps. So I assume this wouldn't play on any or all DVD players, correct? I certainly don't want to compress the video at all, nor do I want to give up all 3 audio options. Any way around/through this? Thanks.
No there's no way around it. You can't have 3 PCM audio sources on a DVD which has a maxiumum video bitrate of 8200 kbit/sec.

What you are trying to do is very unusual. How many commercial DVDs have you seen with 3 PCM audo tracks?

If you want 3 PCM tracks you will need to encode your video so that the maximum video rate is around 5200 kbit/sec and if you do that your picture quality will suffer. Just choose the best PCM track and only include that.

The application that diggrd suggested sounds too good to be true and most probably is.
Old 2006-05-19, 05:57 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

if it were me, i'd compress the video further and keep yer multiple audio options...i guarantee that 99 people outta 100 will never be able to tell the difference between say 8Mbps & 5Mbps
Old 2006-05-19, 04:24 PM
Seiwa-en
TTD VIP
515.69 GB/744.37 GB/1.44

Well at first I was thinking in terms of how much space (gb) it would take up on the DVD9, and not bitrates. But then the 'ole light bulb went off, and I figured it out. I've seen plently of factory DVD's where there was a PCM track, DTS, Dolby 5.1, & Dolby 2.0. So that's also why I thought there was a chance to fit all that info on there. I even converted the 2 less important audio streams to Dolby 2.0, and the bitrate was still too high. So I just opted to stay with the best sounding audio source. Maybe more than 1 PCM audio stream will be able to fit onto a Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD. But I don't know yet what kind of bitrate those formats will/do support. Thanks for the responses everyone.
Old 2006-05-19, 09:48 PM
yeltzin_4
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
if it were me, i'd compress the video further and keep yer multiple audio options...i guarantee that 99 people outta 100 will never be able to tell the difference between say 8Mbps & 5Mbps
That's quite a generalisation don't you think? I thought the whole purpose of thetradersden.org was to ensure high quality releases? From my experience on this site it seems that most of you come from an audio background and you're willing to majorly sacrifice the quality of the video just so that you can get PCM streams on the disc.
I commend STLBlues for leaving the video as it is and just having the single PCM audio stream.
Old 2006-05-20, 09:28 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeltzin_4
That's quite a generalisation don't you think? I thought the whole purpose of thetradersden.org was to ensure high quality releases? From my experience on this site it seems that most of you come from an audio background and you're willing to majorly sacrifice the quality of the video just so that you can get PCM streams on the disc.
I commend STLBlues for leaving the video as it is and just having the single PCM audio stream.
actually i've done quite a bit of work in film/post, and i still stand by what i said:
that 99% of people out there are not goin to be able to tell any difference between 8Mb & 5Mb...ESPECIALLY when it comes to live shows, which typically contain very little or no quick movements in the frame, are filmed on consumer gear, etc...

and with mulitple audio sources [*if* they are all good quality], i'd personally much rather have a SBD, an AUD, & a "Matrix" to choose from, as opposed to 1 or 2 more Mbps in the video compression...for me thats a higher quality DVD, but i guess quality can be subjective some times

oh and glad you got it figure out tho STLBlues

Last edited by AAR.oner; 2006-05-20 at 09:42 AM.
Old 2006-05-22, 02:13 AM
53.45 GB/16.46 GB/0.31

Problem - NTSC VHS to DVD

Hi
i've got one VHS with a show, the tape is NTSC. when i tried to copy it to dvd (with tv card or dvd recorder) the picture came bad.
i've bought this VHS because i had a watermarked DVD of the show.
the VHS itself works great but another problem is that when i watch it on small tv, the picture is bad (like not real colours). and on big tv (29"?) it works great

please help me

here's a screenshot to compare. in the left: a good picture from my actual dvd (watermarked)
in the right: picture from my VHS>DVD

Old 2006-05-22, 07:05 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: Problem - NTSC VHS to DVD

what kind of VHS deck are you using to transfer? also what ADC device?

looks to me like its over saturating the colors, and yer losing some detail...you can try adjusting for the color in yer editing prog [saturation, 3-way color corrector, gamma -- adjust these to fine tune]...

as for the color issue on the small TV, i dunno...never run into that problem before
Old 2006-05-22, 09:05 AM
53.45 GB/16.46 GB/0.31

Re: Problem - NTSC VHS to DVD

hmm i don't know what is ADC..
anyway im trying with a USB card plugged to my JVC VCR.
it's a standard machine (Multi) so it can play both PAL and NTSC

i've tried to adjust the colours when i capture it but it's not like the original...
Old 2006-05-28, 02:16 PM
skodechoker
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Authoring question

Relative noob to the whole authoring bit, but it looks like fun and I want to give it a go, any links to tutorials or shit like that is helpful.

Basically what I want to do, is I have this show that has a buttload of extras that I want to keep intact, part of that disc I found material of a better source so naturally I want to replace just this one section of material with the better source.

I'm sure its possible but have no idea on where to begin. I looked at both file structures and it seems different so I cant just replace one portion, it has to be reauthored entirely.

NOOB.
Old 2006-05-28, 04:49 PM
TonyHart
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Authoring question

I did this exact thing with a dvd last week, for the first time, so i can help you. The software you need is dvdremake pro. I am on Skype, so get in touch. My skype is brummymax.
Old 2006-05-28, 05:13 PM
skodechoker
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Authoring question

wtf is skype thx for the tip

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble