The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-04-20, 11:36 AM
670.09 GB/1.10 TB/1.67

Re: Capturing Mini DV Using Vegas 6?

Thanks for the input guys, on this and my earlier thread on audio synch. I should be able to make this happen now!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-04-21, 03:14 PM
hanshak2015
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: I need some authoring help please

Hi,

you'll need VOB files in the end anyway, so I wouldn't recommend re-encoding VOBs into another MPG-Format. I use Ulead DVD Factory a lot, it's not top-of-the-pops but it allows for easy menu creation and importing of all kinds of videos. If you just want to combine several small VOBs into one DVD and don't care about menus for the moment, DVD Shrink does a good job at that. Simple to use, quick and reliant.
Hope it helps.

Cheers.
Old 2006-04-25, 10:18 AM
127.64 GB/122.58 GB/0.96

TMPGEnc dvd Author Question...

when you use the dvd video option on this program and redo the dvd with a menu and junk, when it reauthors it does it re-encode the entire video? I heard somebody say that you could just join all the vob files nad then use sony dvd architect to make a menu and stuff but I can't seem to get that to accept the VOB file(s). I got a dvd in the mail but it has no menu and 5min chapter splits, so I wanted to redo the dvd but not re-encode the video if that's possible.
Old 2006-04-25, 12:28 PM
304.10 GB/469.31 GB/1.54

Re: TMPGEnc dvd Author Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrocklive
when you use the dvd video option on this program and redo the dvd with a menu and junk, when it reauthors it does it re-encode the entire video? I heard somebody say that you could just join all the vob files nad then use sony dvd architect to make a menu and stuff but I can't seem to get that to accept the VOB file(s). I got a dvd in the mail but it has no menu and 5min chapter splits, so I wanted to redo the dvd but not re-encode the video if that's possible.
A couple of paragraphs follow from the Pegasys TMPGenc website. They are now pushing version 2.0 but I believe most of the features are true from version 1.6 on. I use it all the time as I get many DVD's in trade that were authored on a stand-alone burners. Just rip the disc to your drive and use the DVD video input option and you can trim the clips as you wish then add chapters and menus. Works great and is pretty fast!!

Here's several of the features explained:

2. Smart Rendering
DVD Author 2.0 supports frame level MPEG editing features. Frame level editing is the most precise method for MPEG editing because it operates with frame level precision. Until now, frame level editing has required complete re-encoding of output video which has resulted in degradation of output video quality as well as a slow DVD building process. DVD Author 2.0 provides a smart rendering feature that eliminates this problem. It automatically analyzes video clips and makes sure that only the smallest possible number of frames is re-encoded. In other words, the smart rendering feature dramatically improves the DVD building process in terms of speed while preserving the highest possible video output quality.

3. Transcoding capabilities with Intercom’s® Transcoding Engine
You may often experience that DVD-Videos projects become too large to fit onto writable DVD discs when you add more and more contents to them. DVD Author 2.0 contains a transcoding engine from Intercom that helps you solve this problem. Rather than completely re-encoding video contents, the transcoding engine dynamically and rapidly recompresses video data streams with a minimal reduction in quality so that they will fit exactly to the size of the writable DVD media (4.5GB/8.5GB).

Hope this helps! I think #3 is new, whenever I authored an oversize disc in the past, I just used DVD Shrink to get it down to the correct size. I'll have to compare the Intercom recompression to DVD Shrink..........
Old 2006-04-25, 01:02 PM
Cute ani-girl junkie
520.09 GB/3.10 TB/6.10

In the times that I've done the exact same thing (make a basic menu and create correct chapter points), I've never known it to re-encode the video.
Old 2006-04-26, 12:10 AM
127.64 GB/122.58 GB/0.96

cool, is TMPGEnc the best for doing this or is there a better program? I know TMPGEnc is most likely the easiest though, so maybe I should just stick with that lol. I always have this idea i'm going to be able to make a menu that looks killer like a bought dvd is but I dont' think that will happen lol.
Old 2006-05-01, 11:00 PM
Seiwa-en
TTD VIP
515.69 GB/744.37 GB/1.44

DVD9..menu won't display

Hey all. I recently captured a 2 hour svhs to my PC. I converted the .avi file to mpeg2 w/ Vegas 6. Put that into Architect 3, authored to DVD9 created my menus, chapters, etc. I then dragged the video_ts folder into Nero Burning Rom, and burned. The burn was successful. However, when I put it into my player(s), it does not see the menu. Well, the player says menu, but the screen is black and I can't do anything. I "told" my player to skip ahead to...let's say...chapter 2, and it plays fine. But no menu(s) are visible. My computer "sees" the menu, but none of my players do. I did a google, and found somewhere that if I burn it as an ISO image, then "use" Nero to burn (like w/ DVD Shrink), then it might fix that problem. I read something bad happens if burning w/ the video_ts folder. Any thoughts? I can't try the ISO thing until I get new blanks (already wasted my last 2). It's only my third DVD9 author, but I didn't have any problems w/ the first 2 I've done. Thanks for any help!
Old 2006-05-01, 11:13 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: DVD9..menu won't display

A couple of people have complained about the same thing, but I haven't seen a solution:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...light=dvd+menu
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...light=dvd+menu

Old 2006-05-01, 11:23 PM
Seiwa-en
TTD VIP
515.69 GB/744.37 GB/1.44

Ya Lynne. I didn't see those posts, but some of it sounds like my problem. But I can't even move a cursor around, nothing. I looked around videohelp also, but didn't see anything pertaining to this subject. I'll have to try importing the DVD9 files into DVD Shrink (set to DVD9) and re-burn onto my hard drive as an ISO image, and have DVD Shrink "use" Nero to burn. If that fails, maybe something other than Nero is needed. Shit pisses me off. Just when you think you've got it, some bull crap like this happens. Makes me want to just give up w/ this kind of thing.

Last edited by STLBlues; 2006-05-01 at 11:28 PM.
Old 2006-05-02, 06:29 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBlues
Makes me want to just give up w/ this kind of thing.
a better solution would be to make the switch to Mac
Old 2006-05-02, 11:51 AM
Seiwa-en
TTD VIP
515.69 GB/744.37 GB/1.44

Come on.... ....you know I'm just playin'. This hobby is almost as addictive as weed

A Mac huh? Not until I win the lottery, but of course I have to play first.
Old 2006-05-02, 12:03 PM
TheD00d
TTD VIP
2.43 TB/265.62 TB/109.24

ide guess it was a file allocation era with nero i personally dont condone it's usage on a DVD5 nevermind a DVD9. just my 02. enjoy and if u need help msg me pz uni
Old 2006-05-02, 03:51 PM
Seiwa-en
TTD VIP
515.69 GB/744.37 GB/1.44

Success! Here's what I did w/ my DVD9 files that weren't properly playing after Nero was used. I imported the DVD9 files into DVD Shrink 3.2 (set to DVD9). I re-burned it as an ISO image file, then Shrink had DVD Decrypter burn the disc. It didn't really work in one of my players (the expensive one), but it does work in another player I have. So the ISO thing worked out. My menus are appearing now. Whew! Uni also suggested to me that I use Prassi/ONES software to burn instead of Nero, so I'll be looking into that. Thanks for the help people! If you're having problems burning DVD9's w/ Nero, do what I just did.
Old 2006-05-16, 03:08 PM
Seiwa-en
TTD VIP
515.69 GB/744.37 GB/1.44

DVD Architect ?

I was hoping somebody who's very familiar w/ using DVD Architect could help me out here. I have my video in Architect 3.0c, and I want to put 3 different audio choices in which can be selected separatly. I have my video track in the timeline w/ the 3 different audio tracks underneath it. But I can't figure out how to make "buttons" (for individual selection) in the "Audio Options" page within the menus. I'm fairly familiar w/ using Architect, but I've never done this before. Normally, when no other audio choices are included, on the main menu page....I create a "Chapter Selection" sub-menu, and a "Credits" sub-menu. Then of course I have just "Play" on the Main Menu page. So for what I'm doing now, I want my Main Menu page to look like this:

"Play All"
"Chapter Selection"
"Credits"
"Audio Options"

I just can't figure out how to enter "buttons" on the "Audio Options" menu page. Any help/tips/pointers would be awesome. I do have the manual, but it didnt help me. Thanks!
Old 2006-05-16, 10:26 PM
Seiwa-en
TTD VIP
515.69 GB/744.37 GB/1.44

Re: DVD Architect ?

Well before somebody were to help me out w/ my question above...I figured out how to do it. But now I have a new problem, that makes sense I guess. I have a video I rendered in Vegas @ 8200 max, 8100 avg, 8000 min Kbps. So when I added the 3 separate PCM audio sources, the bitrate is just over 13 Mbps, when I think it should be no more than 10 Mbps. So I assume this wouldn't play on any or all DVD players, correct? I certainly don't want to compress the video at all, nor do I want to give up all 3 audio options. Any way around/through this? Thanks.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble