The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-06-13, 02:00 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: New to imac. Looking for a little advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece
I did the 'keep in dock' but the are still on the desktop. 'get info' says it is a 'volume,' while the shortcuts in the applications folder are called 'alias.'
Ahhhh. I think they are the dmg. If you click on one and start to drag it, does your trash can turn into an upward arrow? If you, then you can simply unmount the volumes by dragging them to the trash.

Quote:
So, will Toast copy officially released DVDs that are 'copy protected?' DVD43 would get around the copy protection so I could back-up the ones I purchased (using Nero or whatever).
I don't know. I've never tried to copy any officially released DVDs. I think you need another application to do that though. They would have them listed over at videohelp.com, I'm sure.

Quote:
What are these extensions for firefox?
You've never used firefox before?!?! I could not do without my BBCode extension. It makes posting links on this site soooooo easy. I also love my Forecastfox extension and Tabbrowser one and BugMeNot and ..... there was a thread started once where people listed their favorite firefox extensions.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-06-13, 03:49 PM
Funk Is Its Own Reward
240.72 GB/429.78 GB/1.79

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Ahhhh. I think they are the dmg. If you click on one and start to drag it, does your trash can turn into an upward arrow? If you, then you can simply unmount the volumes by dragging them to the trash.

I don't know. I've never tried to copy any officially released DVDs. I think you need another application to do that though. They would have them listed over at videohelp.com, I'm sure.

You've never used firefox before?!?! I could not do without my BBCode extension. It makes posting links on this site soooooo easy. I also love my Forecastfox extension and Tabbrowser one and BugMeNot and ..... there was a thread started once where people listed their favorite firefox extensions.
Yeah, it turns into the arrow. I quit the program and then unmounted the dmg but whenever I open one it shows up on the desktop again. This is only happening with software I've downloaded. The applications that came with the imac are only on the dock. Is this normal? When I installed them, I wasn't given an option of where to install.
Old 2006-06-13, 05:26 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Take the application from the dmg and drag them into the applications folder (I actually created a folder in my Applications folder called 'Azureus' and 'cog' for their respective applications). Then, launch the application from the Application folder. Then, keep that one in the dock, not the one from the dmg. Then you should be able to unmount the dmg and it shouldn't come back when you launch the application again.

Old 2006-06-14, 11:17 AM
Funk Is Its Own Reward
240.72 GB/429.78 GB/1.79

Thanks Lynne. That works perfectly.
Old 2006-06-15, 05:06 PM
400.12 GB/929.20 GB/2.32

Quote:
So, will Toast copy officially released DVDs that are 'copy protected?' DVD43 would get around the copy protection so I could back-up the ones I purchased (using Nero or whatever).
you need to get a program called "mactheripper" it extracts the files from the dvd, then you can burn it with toast. Toast will not extract anything for you.

get it here:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22715
Old 2006-06-15, 06:09 PM
Funk Is Its Own Reward
240.72 GB/429.78 GB/1.79

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter2
you need to get a program called "mactheripper" it extracts the files from the dvd, then you can burn it with toast. Toast will not extract anything for you.

get it here:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22715

Thanks. I have it but haven't tried it yet. Many good reviews though. Just ordered Toast from Amazon (71 bucks including 1 day shipping).
Old 2006-06-19, 12:10 AM
305.86 GB/764.55 GB/2.50

So I downloaded COG as my replacement for foobar. When i drop a FLAC file into COG and play, I get nothing but hiss. Any ideas?
Old 2006-06-19, 12:13 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

weird. Did you verify it? I've never had that happen.

Old 2006-06-19, 05:18 PM
305.86 GB/764.55 GB/2.50

Lynn, I got it sorted out - bad files.

Another question: In the past, with windows, I used Outlook to handle contacts, email, calander etc. What mac program is comparable to outlook?
Old 2006-06-19, 06:10 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Well, I'm a gmail person mostly, so I've just use the regular Apple Mail that came with my Mac for my pop account email. I did at one time try Mozilla thunderbird and it looked very much like Outlook. It's by the same people who did Firefox.
http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/

Old 2006-06-19, 09:07 PM
455.68 GB/607.59 GB/1.33

Quote:
Yeah, it turns into the arrow. I quit the program and then unmounted the dmg but whenever I open one it shows up on the desktop again. This is only happening with software I've downloaded. The applications that came with the imac are only on the dock. Is this normal? When I installed them, I wasn't given an option of where to install.
I'm a new convert too, and am probably gonna ask a lot of real stupid questions. I've got an Intel based Imac and went to this site http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Intel_Macs
Do I need to get both the Universal Binary Version and Generic OS X DMG?

I downloaded the specific SWT version and I got this file
org.eclipse.swt.carbon.macosx.ppc_3.2.0.jar
The directions say to "extract it and then zip the 'org' directory naming the output file 'swt.jar"

Despite not figuring out the above step. I went ahead and tried opening the app file. I was having the same 'alias' problems as Reece and through Lynn's help got my Azureus.app file in Applications, but I still get the bouncing and disappearing frog. Do I unmount (delete?) the dmg file, which I moved to the applications folder?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

HD
Old 2006-06-19, 09:54 PM
Funk Is Its Own Reward
240.72 GB/429.78 GB/1.79

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDvorak
I'm a new convert too, and am probably gonna ask a lot of real stupid questions. I've got an Intel based Imac and went to this site http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Intel_Macs
Do I need to get both the Universal Binary Version and Generic OS X DMG?

I downloaded the specific SWT version and I got this file
org.eclipse.swt.carbon.macosx.ppc_3.2.0.jar
The directions say to "extract it and then zip the 'org' directory naming the output file 'swt.jar"

Despite not figuring out the above step. I went ahead and tried opening the app file. I was having the same 'alias' problems as Reece and through Lynn's help got my Azureus.app file in Applications, but I still get the bouncing and disappearing frog. Do I unmount (delete?) the dmg file, which I moved to the applications folder?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

HD
Lynne explained the apps on the desktop thing pretty well.

As far as the disappearing frog, install the universal version. Every time I opened it I got a message saying it needed to update a .jar file but it wouldn't update for some reason. Azureus worked fine though so I ignored it. After a while I tried again and it updated with no problem.
Old 2006-06-19, 10:51 PM
455.68 GB/607.59 GB/1.33

Quote:
Lynne explained the apps on the desktop thing pretty well.

As far as the disappearing frog, install the universal version. Every time I opened it I got a message saying it needed to update a .jar file but it wouldn't update for some reason. Azureus worked fine though so I ignored it. After a while I tried again and it updated with no problem.

Looks like this did the job! After fartin' around forever and getting the same no result, it's always a shock when your program actually gets installed correctly!

Much thanks Lynn and Reece!

Now....another question!

I'm trying to clear my ports. I went to the usual site, and clicked my router
http://www.portforward.com/english/r...v5/Azureus.htm
The window screen shows pull down menus that don't jibe with my setup. I need to go tools>options. I tried various things, but couldn't get to that window where I could enter a port number.
Old 2006-06-19, 10:54 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Are you sure you have the firmware updated to version 5 (you had selected WGR614v5)? If not, either update the firmware or else select the correct version of your firmware for that router.

Old 2006-06-19, 11:08 PM
455.68 GB/607.59 GB/1.33

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Are you sure you have the firmware updated to version 5 (you had selected WGR614v5)? If not, either update the firmware or else select the correct version of your firmware for that router.
Firmware is good. When I click on Azureus I get the following headers for pulldown menus.

Azureus File View Transfers Plugins Windows Help

I'm guessing that it's just a Mac version of the pulldowns? I'll read up on the website more tomorrow. Now it's time for bed.

Thanks for the help guys and gals!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble