The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-01-24, 04:29 AM
1.89 TB/4.90 TB/2.60

Inability to download .torrent files

I've been using Trader's Den for a couple of years now, and have had no technical issues until the last twenty-four hours.
I use Internet Explorer as my browser, and have been downloading the .torrent files (from the individual threads) using DAP.
For reasons which are not clear to me, when I now try to download the .torrent file, rather than coming up with the name of the torrent as before, a lengthy number is coming up, and what I download is therefore not the torrent file!
I've had a quick look through the past threads and can't see an answer to this problem.
Curiously, and whether this is a connected issue I don't know, when I now log onto the website, whereas in the past it has automatically recognised me, I now have to log in on every occasion.
Any ideas anybody please?
Many thanks
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-01-24, 09:48 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Inability to download .torrent files

It sounds like something has changed with your computer. Have you done any sort of 'upgrade' lately? Have about a reboot? When you login to the site, are you making sure to check the Remember Me box? And what happens if you right-click Save As for the torrent files?

Old 2008-01-24, 06:28 PM
1.89 TB/4.90 TB/2.60

Hi!
Thanks for you reply.
I've not done an upgrade, and so far as I'm aware nothing has changed or happened to my computer. I am still able to download .torrent files from other sites, and it is only my activity on Trader's Den which seems to be affected.
I have always used 'save target as' when right clicking against the .torrent file link, but as I've said, doing this now gives a ten digit number instead!!
Any ideas?
Many thanks
P.S I should add that although I'd been 'ticking' the 'Remember Me' box, it wasn't recognising me. Although having just entered the site on switching on computer tonight, it recognised me fine. Also, torrents I've already loaded in my torrent programme - U/Torrent - are still down- and up-loading as usual.
Old 2008-01-24, 07:04 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Very strange that things would change. I haven't done any sort of software change on the site either. Make sure you do a Force Refresh of the page when trying to download the torrent file (shift + refresh) in case it was a computer thing and the browser has the error page in it's cache.

Can you give me a link to the thread you are trying to get the torrent from and then also the ten-digit number you are getting? I can't imagine what that number would be of.

Old 2008-01-24, 07:04 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

its not the site. try this.

open your browser

Tools > Internet Options
click the Advanced Tab
select Reset (corrects web browser to default settings)
Old 2008-01-25, 05:59 PM
1.89 TB/4.90 TB/2.60

Smile Re: Inability to download .torrent files

Many thanks for your thoughts and help.

Having had a long look at this, I'm now pretty sure it's a problem with DAP. If I disable it, I seem to be able to download the .torrent files by what I would call the old method. Hopefully, I'll have no further major problems, but I'll keep you posted

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble