The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-08-01, 11:52 PM
Yeah, that's a zebra donkey
110.97 GB/130.20 GB/1.17

Multi-channel input

Okay, this is for those of you who are familiar with DVD-Audio and analog multi-channel input.

I just got a new DVD player which plays DVD-A. So far I have two DVD-A's. The first is a 24-bit, 96kHz Dave Matthews Band recording. This is simply a high-res stereo recording. The second is also a high-res DMB recording, but it is a full 5.1 channels in 24/96 audio. I have listened to the first one, but not the second one yet.

Here is my question: is there any way to get my subwoofer to work with the stereo recording? When I play regular CDs through my receiver (over the digital coax), the sub still gets a signal even though the recording is stereo. When I play the stereo DVD-A disc, either over the digital coax or through the analog multi-channel inputs, I only get sound out of the front two speakers. I'm about to burn off the other one and see how it plays over the multi-in. Thanks for any help in advance.

-Phil
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-08-02, 05:06 AM
6.36 GB/18.25 GB/2.87

Re: Multi-channel input

I've no experience myself (I only own a "normal" stereo hi-fi), but typing the phrase "bass management" into google will tell you about the issue. e.g.

http://www.dvd-a.dk/start.php?page=P4
Old 2005-08-02, 12:10 PM
Yeah, that's a zebra donkey
110.97 GB/130.20 GB/1.17

Re: Multi-channel input

Thanks for the link, that was very interesting. I have the exact setup that it was talking about (a pretty decent system, but still a home-theater-in-a-box).

In other news, I somehow managed to get my subwoofer to start giving me output from the DVD-A disc. I don't know how I did this, all I know is that it was from fooling in the settings of the DVD player.

-Phil

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble