The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-12-03, 04:22 PM
Respected Member
188.14 GB/308.90 GB/1.64

adding loseless audio to dvds

just a quick question. Im using tmpgenc and i wanna add loseless audio to my dvds. I convert the FLAC/SHN to wav using the traders little helper, then I put the wav file in the audio input place and I let it make the dvd.

my question is that while its making the dvd, does it convert the wmv to lossy format? or does it get converted to lcpm? Im not sure as ive never done this before and would like to have loseless audio on my discs. Also i will soon start using dvd lab pro so is it the same thing for dvd lab pro that does it convert it to another format while creating the disc.

by creating i mean output (like just adding menus/chapters/audio to vob files)

thanks
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-12-04, 01:07 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Re: adding loseless audio to dvds

getting the audio to sync is really tricky. you might want to check this thread for some useful information (esp Author85's post). I could be wrong, maybe your new audio will just lock up first try from beginning to end (I wish you luck!).

I don't think you'll have to worry about transcoding to WMV, main thing that could go wrong is re-encoding the mpeg-2 video to mpeg-2 when you just want a direct copy of the original. Hopefully some author will post here and give some tips on how to avoid that.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-12-04, 05:02 AM
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21

If i remember well the default settings for TMPGENC (regarding audio output) is to convert the audio in AC3. But in settings, somewhere (i don't remember where), you can change that.
DVD Lab Pro doesn't convert the audio if you don't tell it to do it.

LPCM should be at 48.000Hz not 44.100Hz.
Old 2007-12-04, 07:19 AM
Respected Member
188.14 GB/308.90 GB/1.64

thanks. i have no problem with syncing the audio and all. i just wanted to know whether it will stay loseless once the dvd is done cause if its converted to lossy then id rather use an mp3 of the show
Old 2007-12-04, 09:32 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

you're welcome

you don't want to use mp3 to author the dvd even if it goes lossy because when you the lossless to mp3 it discards 90% (or so) of the data, then encoding it again to lossy DVD will discard 90% of that 10% that's left if you see what I mean.

but you should be able to get lossless on your dvd, upsample the lossless to 48kHz WAV using the highest quality settings and use that as your audio track. sorry I don't know the settings for your dvd authoring prog tho but hopefully we'll get to the bottom of it soon...

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-12-04, 01:14 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeX- View Post
just a quick question. Im using tmpgenc and i wanna add loseless audio to my dvds. I convert the FLAC/SHN to wav using the traders little helper, then I put the wav file in the audio input place and I let it make the dvd.

my question is that while its making the dvd, does it convert the wmv to lossy format? or does it get converted to lcpm? Im not sure as ive never done this before and would like to have loseless audio on my discs. Also i will soon start using dvd lab pro so is it the same thing for dvd lab pro that does it convert it to another format while creating the disc.

by creating i mean output (like just adding menus/chapters/audio to vob files)

thanks

You'll need to up-convert those WAV files to 48kHz, 16bit stereo PCM audio (2 channels) to author with if you'd like it to be lossless. That's the standard for PCM uncompressed udio on DVDs. If I remember correctly, it must be RAW PCM, without the WAV headers, so you'll have to strip those out. Some authoring programs will do that for you. You can't author a disc with CD audio WAVs (44.1kHz) because they don't match that DVD standard for PCM audio.

Five is right about staying away from MP3s. You can put the lossless audio you have on the disc.
Old 2007-12-04, 03:55 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

as has been stated, just upsample the wav files from 16bit 44.1kHz to 16bit 48kHz using an audio editing program [Audacity will work and is free]...import your 16/48 wavs into your editing program, sync everything up, then import both video & audio into your authoring program...i'm not familiar with DVD Lab Pro, but i'm sure it'll give ya the option of authoring the dvd with either uncompressed audio or the typical ac3 compression...choose uncompressed LPCM wav and yer good to go

can't speak for any progs other than what i use [DVD Studio Pro], but you should have no problem using a straight 16/48 wav...i've personally never had to "convert" a wav to RAW PCM before, but i've never worked on a windows based machine so i could be wrong on that one

and i'll third what Five & james said, definitely don't use mp3!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble