The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2018-05-24, 12:31 AM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
577.27 GB/2.00 TB/3.55

Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJamAmerica.com View Post
I need some help. I am unsure exactly how to fix SBEs. I am going through some of my 2005 Pearl Jam FLAC shows released by Nugs a couple years back and they are riddled with SBEs.

What settings should I be using? Here is an example of the SBE output for one of the shows.
If you use the "fix" feature in the dropdown box in TLH when you're converting your files, it will append (add) the data outside of the sector boundary to the beginning of the next track. We're talking fractions of 1/75th of a second here, so the resulting files shouldn't sound too different. Being a live show with applause between tracks, fix should keep a gapless fileset ready for CD burning. If you use "pad" it will add null samples (silence) to round up to the next sector boundary CD frame 1/75th of a second, which will make little hesitations in the files of a live show. No good!

Does that help?
Old 2018-05-24, 01:09 AM
1.01 GB/49.80 MB/0.05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioarchivist View Post
If you use the "fix" feature in the dropdown box in TLH when you're converting your files, it will append (add) the data outside of the sector boundary to the beginning of the next track. We're talking fractions of 1/75th of a second here, so the resulting files shouldn't sound too different. Being a live show with applause between tracks, fix should keep a gapless fileset ready for CD burning. If you use "pad" it will add null samples (silence) to round up to the next sector boundary CD frame 1/75th of a second, which will make little hesitations in the files of a live show. No good!

Does that help?
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

Should I be checking the box that says "Pad last file with zero-bytes"?

What should I select in the ACTION dropdown? It has shift backward, shift forward & round as options. I don't know what this stuff is or what it means or what I should use of it.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2018-05-24, 03:56 AM
Trader since 1980
1.89 TB/1.39 TB/0.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by francois truffaut View Post
Can you let me know what these mean

Audience
(Recorded with a microphone from the audience)

Soundboard
(rec with a direct feed from the soundboard/mixing desk in the venue)

Pre-FM
(Radio stations would record concerts for later broadcast. These would be stored on magnetic tape or similar. A pre-FM is taken directly from one of these tapes - i.e. it hasn't been 'broadcast' over the air, but taken from the source that preceded the broadcast

FM Broadcast
(Someone has recorded this from a broadcast on an FM band 'over the air' using a radio tuner and recorder)

Matrix
(Combination of AUD and SBD sources mixed together)

Studio
(Something recorded within a genuine recording studio, such as would be used by professionals to record their albums)

IEM/ALD
(Recorded from an Inner Ear Monitor system or Assisted Listening Device)

Multi Track Stereo
(Similar to Studio, but taken from original multi-track tapes)
Old 2018-05-24, 12:14 PM
TTD Staff
1.22 TB/594.30 GB/0.48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJamAmerica.com View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioarchivist View Post

Does that help?
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

Should I be checking the box that says "Pad last file with zero-bytes"?

What should I select in the ACTION dropdown? It has shift backward, shift forward & round as options. I don't know what this stuff is or what it means or what I should use of it.
a) Important: Always fix SBEs per CD, do not fix the whole fileset. So fix tracks 1-01 to 1-09, then tracks 2-10 to 2-23, and finally tracks 3-24 to 3-37.

b) Check the box that says "Pad last file with zero-bytes". Should work without doing this because usually your CD burner will do the padding, but you never know...

c) Just use the default setting in the "Action" dropbox (backward).
Old 2018-05-24, 03:54 PM
1.01 GB/49.80 MB/0.05

Quote:
Originally Posted by roann View Post
a) Important: Always fix SBEs per CD, do not fix the whole fileset. So fix tracks 1-01 to 1-09, then tracks 2-10 to 2-23, and finally tracks 3-24 to 3-37.

b) Check the box that says "Pad last file with zero-bytes". Should work without doing this because usually your CD burner will do the padding, but you never know...

c) Just use the default setting in the "Action" dropbox (backward).
Thanks so much for the reply and information roann I appreciate this software too. I hope someday you find interest or time in updating this tool.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
tlh, traders little helper