The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2020-12-16, 02:07 AM
30.79 GB/90.04 GB/2.92

What's the best software for cleaning up/enhancing old recordings?

So far, I have used an outdated version of Adobe Audition, SoundForge, SF Audio Cleaning Lab & Magix. All of these offer a little bit of what I need but I'm looking for more without plunking down $$$ or $$$$ (champagne taste on a cider budget, I know).

I also have Audacity, of course, but I rarely use it.

Any suggestions?

Is the iZotope holiday bundle worth it? It's obviously geared at new recordings.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2020-12-17, 05:22 PM
87.70 GB/175.64 GB/2.00

Re: What's the best software for cleaning up/enhancing old recordings?

All of those will do most anything you need, but it requires a lot of time and research on how to use the tools within them. Cleaning up and enhancing recordings is a very subjective process, as you are doing it to fit your ears. Whether that means utilizing compression, amplification, equalization, or a multitude of other methods is dependent upon you and what you want and/or are attempting to hear. There are things you just won't be able to do with a recording. If the peak of the audio is blown out, you can't very easily make it quieter. If it's too quiet, you can make it louder to a degree. I think all of us would recommend that whatever program you feel is the most user-friendly to you, stick with that and learn about the tools within it. For all of the programs you mentioned, there is a wealth of information available on various taper sites, audio engineering sites, and YouTube.

Personally I've used Audition for the last 14 years and it is what I'm most familiar with.

What functions exactly are you looking for in your software?
Old 2020-12-17, 11:28 PM
30.79 GB/90.04 GB/2.92

Re: What's the best software for cleaning up/enhancing old recordings?

Thanks for your reply. I have done this for several years now, so I know what goes into the process (I have never used compression, btw & I doubt I ever will). Not sure why you are talking to me like I asked as a complete noob. You can click on my name and find the shows, I seeded. I almost always include a sample.

I am looking for something better/that can do more than the sw I mentioned, is the short answer (maybe with the wrong belief that the grass must be greener on the other side).

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble