The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2007-05-13, 04:36 PM
Trader Dave
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Is there an explicit ratio policy here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
america from the muslims? lost me on that one
I figured you could understand that analogy the best.
You know god and country, lynne and TTD?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-05-13, 11:26 PM
Trader Dave
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
america from the muslims? lost me on that one

but to answer yer question, sure...thats exactly it
If this isn't god and country with a bang i have no idea what is.

Quote:
do you ever have those moments when you wish this online community could materialize into a real 3dimensional space, lets say the pub maybe...that way all the wankers with their assanine opinions. greedy justifications, and complete lack of respect for the community could be served a healthy dose of some SHUTTHEFUCKUP! pint glass to the head style
lets try changing some words for fun
Quote:
do you ever have those moments when you wish the Muslims I see on the news talking trash could materialize into a real 3dimensional space, lets say the pub maybe...that way all the wankers with their assanine opinions. greedy justifications, and complete lack of respect for the community could be served a healthy dose of some SHUTTHEFUCKUP! pint glass to the head style

Last edited by Trader Dave; 2007-05-13 at 11:34 PM.
Old 2007-05-13, 11:34 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

I'm feeling Deja Vu.
Old 2007-05-14, 01:08 PM
Rebel, Rogue & Sworn Brother
55.25 GB/234.70 GB/4.25

It's a cult...

Look it up.
Old 2007-05-14, 04:02 PM
4.86 GB/734.96 GB/151.30

i rarely download. most of the music here is crap. most of the recordings are crap.
I collect my music the old fashion way. I steal CD's when I'm at a party.
Old 2007-05-14, 06:40 PM
GrOoOvemeister
2.57 TB/2.00 TB/0.78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bot
i rarely download. most of the music here is crap. most of the recordings are crap.
WOW you must be trying for member of the year with that attitude

keep that up and you'll fit right in
Old 2007-05-14, 10:04 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions...4&union_id=181

Digdogger:

This is the fifth level boss and he is really easy. In its large form you can't hurt it, so you blow the whistle and it will turn into little eyeball things. Then you can easily kill them.

Remember The Legend of Zelda on the NES?
Attached Images
File Type: gif digdog1.gif
( 5.2 KB, 120 views)

Old 2007-05-14, 10:15 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Seriously though, does everyone expect all the dsl users with 15 kb/s upload speeds to keep a 1.00 ratio if they don't vine/seed/trade? The people with mega upload speeds (100 kb/s and above) pick up the slack for them in my opinion. Leaving people stranded sucks though.
Old 2007-05-15, 03:05 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bot
Quote:
Originally Posted by bot

Old 2007-05-15, 07:50 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

From each according to his ability, to each according to his need. Wait, does that make me a commie?
Old 2007-05-15, 05:42 PM
408.65 GB/401.31 GB/0.98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudogger
Posted earlier today in response to yet another narrow-minded, ratio-fueled attack by someone whose sense of sharing and community has long-since escaped him. Hopefully, it will foster a little discussion regarding the rather distasteful class system that has resulted from the unnecessary use and public display of personal ratios by this site:

I guess I've now read so many of the baseless, ratio-related, pseudo-flame jobs that it's time to relay on to anyone who reads this a few observations I've made and thoughts I’ve had, about TTD-style "sharing" - especially to those of you who appear to be quite mathematically and cognitively challenged, and to those who are doing their very best to contribute, and yet still have to wade regularly through this kind of self-righteous pablum, just to be able to enjoy the music.

1) The arbitrary 1.00 ratio guideline is just that - a ratio and a guideline, and quite arbitrary. Here, ratio means upload volume divided by download volume, without any regard to individual bandwidth, drive capacity, etc. It is only a target, not a requirement, and one that is not readily attainable to many users who, nonetheless, still contribute in a very positive way. Thus TTD's suggestion that those who can't achieve 1.00 should try to B&P, vine, and so on. I imagine that a large number of participants, like me, are doing just that, yet it doesn't serve to stifle these impotent flamers much, does it? One yahoo recently boasted to me that his ratio was better than mine back when he used a laptop with a 56K modem. To which I ask - So what is your point? I mean, really, at 56K it likely took him a month to download one show. Then with a (hypothetical) 3.75 u/l divided by a 4.20 d/l, I guess I'd have to agree that his 0.89 ratio was better than mine. What a profound revelation that guy had, eh? So, a high ratio is really fairly meaningless, unless it is supported by a healthy upload volume. Without any regard to download volume, your absolute uploads are the true measure of one's contribution to any trading community, and not some poorly conceived, often-abused, arbitrary ratio threshold.

2) Occasionally, one downloads a show that is not worth keeping, burning, or sharing (due to poor quality), and in the user's opinion, shouldn't further pollute the trading pool by way of continued uploading. If one were then to delete that show/torrent, one might only have obtained a show-specific .17 ratio, for example. This can't be recouped for that deleted show, and that .17 ratio becomes a detriment to the user's overall ratio (as tracked by TTD), when in fact, he/she is doing the community a small favor by not enabling the spread of a crappy show. Other times, after a torrent's seeds/leeches drop to 0, and remains there for a number of days, that torrent is likewise deleted, though its individual ratio may still be well less than 1.00, but it is still available to meet reseed and B&P requests. Unfortunately, the typical flamer would prefer to spin that as being the horrible leecher "taking as much as possible, while giving next to nothing", which to many of us is much like Dubya saying "we've got to attack them there so they won't attack us here". Sorry, but we just know better. And, once someone seeds or uploads a show, it's out there, and the seeder has gotten his/her jollies, quite justifiably, for having offered it up. Various people then tap into that torrent and share the obtained music in their preferred, individual ways - there are indeed many shades of gray in this world. So in this format, it's not about taking versus giving back (equally) so much as it is about using current technology to acquire audio and video from a wealth of different sources, then redistributing that music, in various different ways, to other people who maybe aren't so fortunate or capable. Expected giving is just not a very cool thing, no matter how you look at it. It's kind of like feeling obligated to tithe 10% of your meager income to the local church, merely because that's their expectation of you and everybody does it, rather than because it’s something you freely elect to do or even can physically manage to do.

3) Some folks have great upload/download bandwidth. Good for them. Some do not, so they acquire what they can, when they can. Some, like me, have a pretty good download speed, but a very restrictive upload cap (mine is limited to about 28K, less than 10% of my maximum download speed). So any time my BT client is running, I am uploading at my maximum capacity, regardless of the number of torrents I have uploading at any given time. If I were to stop all of my downloading in order to capitulate to one selfish moron’s attempted browbeating of me to raise my ratio by uploading only, then guess what? I’m still only uploading at 28K, so that my rate (speed) of contribution to other downloaders remains exactly the same. And, I've been running nearly 24/7 since January 07. (Sorry, flamers, I just can't afford T1 right now in order to keep you happy.) Stopping the downloading, therefore, serves no rational, contributory purpose at all – it just curtails the acquisition and redistribution of new music, but in no way speeds the overall upload process. "Looking back to help others" (with reseed requests), while sounding noble, also corrects nothing ratio-wise because the upload rate remains the same no matter what combination of torrents I might choose to upload to (today I have 11 active ones). Just to illustrate how arbitrary and abused the ratio issue is, and how truly dense and cyber-power-hungry some of these non-mod gooberbrains can be: One challenged user recently had the gall to dictate to me that I should stop downloading until my ratio rises to at least 50%. To which I must ask – Based on what published mandate? And – Who died and left you dog-catcher, eh? Or - Is this some new standard you’ve just now conceived of and applied all by your smug little self? Impressive. So glad to hear it. Thanks again for the suggestion. Not.

4) If one were to halt downloads in order to increase ratio, that would mean one has temporarily stopped accumulating new material. Torrents die, such that by doing so you’d also increase the chances of missing out on one or more good shows as a result, such that you’d perhaps occasionally request a reseed, such that some other mindless flamer might well then decide to again stretch his puny ego by snooping into your stats and harping on you and your ratio. What fun!! So, I say to anyone reading this: People upload because it’s their hobby and they enjoy it. Other people download because it’s their hobby and they enjoy it. Still other people B&P like crazy, or simply burn and give away discs to special, grateful people who love the music, but don’t have the time, interest, and/or capability to download and burn it themselves - because it’s their hobby and they enjoy it! TTD is but one small facet on the face of a much larger trading/giving community concept that kind of mirrors the old Rastafarian philosophy of “from those that have, to those that have not”. That is, you should endeavor to share what you take, where you can, when you can, and with whomever you can, without any regard to some other person’s rate of sharing or giving, or their misguided expectations of you. This is the true spirit of “sharing the music”, and TTD would be a much better, kinder place without the few demented flamers who seem to believe otherwise, and routinely spoil it for everyone else, just for their squeaky little voices to be heard. I think that tossing out the ratio concept altogether would be highly constructive in removing an unfortunate opportunity for some sad souls to unfairly judge so many others who are just trying their best, and allow people of all shades to merge into the mosaic, in whatever fashion their individual preferences will support, effectively eliminating all this phony and unnecessary hierarchy garbage. That's what freedom is.

Happy Trading and Happy Sharing

P.S. - If you're a reader who keeps getting flamed by puffed-up jokers who have nothing better to do, no matter your effort to upload within the constraints of your particular system and/or budget, please jump in and say what you think. It's important for you to be heard rather than allowing that ratio flamer shit to, in any way, intimidate you into apologizing for your numbers. These people should be wholly ashamed, just like those now running our country (into the ground). Every kilobyte uploaded is a positive contribution from you to this system and community, regardless of what you receive from it, and as a recipient of some really good stuff, I, my friends, my family, and many receiving acquaintances are extremely thankful!
If you spent half as much time giving back as you did writing that brainless diatribe you wouldn't have such a shitty share ratio.
Old 2007-05-15, 06:23 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

ZING!!

but it's not that shitty, in all fairness
Old 2007-05-15, 06:59 PM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by markknopfler
If you spent half as much time giving back as you did writing that brainless diatribe you wouldn't have such a shitty share ratio.

I thought the site owner said ratios don't matter.....are we still flogging that horse?

Besides if Dudogger posts another 2000 words in the Lounge and even if the posts all happen to be single word posts in the "word Association" thread, he'll be as accepted around here as james-ky.....

Old 2007-05-15, 09:17 PM
the non-nuclear Homer Simpson
202.13 GB/314.80 GB/1.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezer
I thought the site owner said ratios don't matter.....are we still flogging that horse?

Besides if Dudogger posts another 2000 words in the Lounge and even if the posts all happen to be single word posts in the "word Association" thread, he'll be as accepted around here as james-ky.....

4 2011 KBS left.
And 6 2009 and 2 2010 Nemesis too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I hear the Rape is lovely this time of year.
Quote:
hey man if nobody else has helped you out, i can continue to ignore you too
Old 2007-05-15, 09:28 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

what ever happened to the guitar gluer? I miss him. miss him, miss him. NUmber 9, number 9

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions