The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

View Poll Results: Would you post more in the Lounge if it were more actively moderated like the rest of TTD?
Yes 33 36.67%
No 57 63.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-01-26, 10:17 AM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Why don't you visit the Lounge @ TTD? (public poll)

Ban TV. He's an asshole troll and has ruined this place.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-01-26, 10:47 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by donohuer View Post
I voted no and didn't even know about the first vote. As RSpencer said, I don't know I'd post any less either. Let me ask this; what do you mean by "more actively moderated?" What type of posts/behavior is prompting someone to question whether more moderation is required. I understand that answering that may cause an immediate increase in that type of behavior but I'm curious why there have now been two polls asking this question.
incessant trolling/attacks, creating a more predictably hostile environment...which has imo caused a deterioration in both the amount of participants & the quality of participation

i'm not convinced we need more mods for the GD forums, or that we need more "rules" -- simply that the rules in place should be enforced no matter who the person is
Old 2011-01-26, 10:49 AM
Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer is offline
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
Originally Posted by donohuer View Post
I voted no and didn't even know about the first vote. As RSpencer said, I don't know I'd post any less either. Let me ask this; what do you mean by "more actively moderated?" What type of posts/behavior is prompting someone to question whether more moderation is required.
The rules being followed. And enforced regardless of who is doing it.

At this point the rules are more of a reverse psychology "how to survive the lounge" user guide, than rules. Some staff don't even follow them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Discussion Forums Policy
Most of this is common sense, but sometimes it just needs to be put down in writing...

* Lurk for a bit before just jumping right in. It always helps to know the users you will be chatting with a bit before you jump in to post.
* It is not recommended that you post personal photos of yourself unless you don't mind finding yourself photoshopped as a Dancing Chicken. There are some photoshop pros here who welcome the opportunity to practice their skills.
* If someone asks not to have their picture posted, even if they were the one to originally post it here, please respect their wishes and do not post, or link to, their picture.
* Act maturely. Don't rise to inflammatory posts. Remember that your opinion is only your opinion, and other people have a right to disagree with it, just as you have a right to have it. Don't turn a difference of opinion into an insult fest.
* If someone does act immaturely - ignore them! Usually they act that way to get attention. Ignoring them may make them rethink their act.
* Treat each other with respect or how you would like be treated: 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you.'
* Again, if the person is acting disrespectful, usually it is because they want attention. So, the best thing to do is to not give it to them.
* No using an anonymous proxy to hide your identity. No spamming, or advertising.
* Think before you post - http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php
* Some common sense rules: no posting personal PMs or emails; no posting another user's full real name or address or phone number or email address or picture.
* No nudity. And please do not swear overly much.
* Do not just decide to attack someone. If someone insulted you a month ago, who cares, we don't want to hear about it. If someone insulted you on another site, we don't care, don't bring it over here or you may be told just how much the others don't want to hear about it. If you don't like another user, fine, then ignore them, but don't continually insult them because the rest of us don't want to hear about it.
* No threats of physical violence.
* No stalking - don't take your personal differences from one thread to another. And especially don't take it out of The Lounge.
* No creating accounts under another name (an alias) just to harass specific people.
* Do not disrespect the moderators. They are volunteers and do the best that they can, If you can do a better job, go start your own site and moderate how you want there.

Failure to follow these rules may get you banned from the discussion forums for varying lengths of time. Depending on how many times you've already been warned (banned from these forums), you may be banned anywhere from a day, a week, a month, or permanently (or anywhere in between). This is up to moderator discretion. You may PM that moderator to discuss and resolve the issue. However, insulting them in that PM may not be in your best interests.

The Mods reserve the right to remove any posts that they feel are offensive or against your terms of registration.

modified 2007-08-21, Added rule regarding creating alias accounts to harass people.

Quote:
I understand that answering that may cause an immediate increase in that type of behavior but I'm curious why there have now been two polls asking this question.
Anonymous - vs- Public
Old 2011-01-26, 10:53 AM
Political Hack
10.32 GB/32.56 GB/3.16

Wouldn`t this be more interesting if you limited voting to people with under a certain amount of posts. What`s stopping them from posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluzman
You are more elite than anybody else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Does it bother you that you have so much in common with Karl Rove?
Old 2011-01-26, 10:56 AM
wanna buy me a drink????
1.87 TB/2.30 TB/1.23

polls lack "OUR" option as well as lacking a no change option

I vote SIR
"Trust a pro" Keith Richards
"here is my offer: nothing" Mike C
Old 2011-01-26, 11:05 AM
Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer is offline
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Every time I hear a choice of a couple of things and I don't really like any of them. That is what I hear in my head, one of these days I am going to accidentally say it out loud
Old 2011-01-26, 11:09 AM
Giver of Zero Fucks
76.15 GB/132.64 GB/1.74

Great, more governing always fixes everything.
Old 2011-01-26, 11:17 AM
Political Hack
10.32 GB/32.56 GB/3.16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wicker Man View Post
Historically, it has.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 2011-01-26, 11:19 AM
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wicker Man View Post
Do I need to say it......
A handful of people have already said it in your sig

Brian, you have modded before. Do you not see any problem with the current rules and the way they are enforced, or even the layout of the sub-forums?

Everyone keeps thinking that it is a whole new set of rules that I am suggesting. Only a couple of tweaks to the already existing set of rules and blanket enforcement regardless of who it is breaking them. And to look into the layout of the sub-forums and mod powers within certain areas, as opposed to every mod popping in and enforcing the lounge rules how they interpret them and often different than the actual mod there and also some are regularly breaking them there too.

This is a logical place to start if anything is to be done. Added mods only if it gets to be too much, which is likely because whenever any changes are made, people like to oppose it and go the other way.
Old 2011-01-26, 11:39 AM
appalachianamerican
1.26 TB/2.77 TB/2.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigguy View Post
Historically, it has.
I think the machine has gotten bigger, not better ..
Old 2011-01-26, 12:00 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_kate View Post
Everyone keeps thinking that it is a whole new set of rules that I am suggesting. Only a couple of tweaks to the already existing set of rules and blanket enforcement regardless of who it is breaking them. And to look into the layout of the sub-forums and mod powers within certain areas, as opposed to every mod popping in and enforcing the lounge rules how they interpret them and often different than the actual mod there and also some are regularly breaking them there too.

I think Bullet enforces the rules that are there, but applies them to each case, based on merit, rather than blanket enforcement.

I do think that method works best. Policy is different than straight law and strict enforcement discourages participation in every instance I have seen.

You keep referring to mods that pop in to the lounge and enforce rules in different ways... as far as I know, Bullet does 99.9% of any mod actions in the Lounge. The staff generally does a very good job of staying to our assigned areas when it comes to pressing buttons.

Is this just a perception you have or do you have specific instances where that is happening on a regular basis?
Old 2011-01-26, 12:10 PM
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I think Bullet enforces the rules that are there, but applies them to each case, based on merit, rather than blanket enforcement.

I do think that method works best. Policy is different than straight law and strict enforcement discourages participation in every instance I have seen.

You keep referring to mods that pop in to the lounge and enforce rules in different ways... as far as I know, Bullet does 99.9% of any mod actions in the Lounge. The staff generally does a very good job of staying to our assigned areas when it comes to pressing buttons.

Is this just a perception you have or do you have specific instances where that is happening on a regular basis?
It is my perception, based on what I see. I think bringing them up and looking at each instance would not be productive. Again, I am not trying to attack any one mod/admin. It is hard to present the case for what I am suggesting without coming across as just saying you guys are not doing a good job. You are, but it seems a little lax and I see no harm in bringing up the suggestions and talking about it.

You do not have to look very far too see instances of these rules being a normal practice as opposed to something addressed and removed.

Quote:
# Treat each other with respect or how you would like be treated: 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you.'
# Again, if the person is acting disrespectful, usually it is because they want attention. So, the best thing to do is to not give it to them.
# No using an anonymous proxy to hide your identity. No spamming, or advertising.
# Think before you post - http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php
# Some common sense rules: no posting personal PMs or emails; no posting another user's full real name or address or phone number or email address or picture.
# No nudity. And please do not swear overly much.
# Do not just decide to attack someone. If someone insulted you a month ago, who cares, we don't want to hear about it. If someone insulted you on another site, we don't care, don't bring it over here or you may be told just how much the others don't want to hear about it. If you don't like another user, fine, then ignore them, but don't continually insult them because the rest of us don't want to hear about it.
# No threats of physical violence.
# No stalking - don't take your personal differences from one thread to another. And especially don't take it out of The Lounge.
# No creating accounts under another name (an alias) just to harass specific people.
# Do not disrespect the moderators. They are volunteers and do the best that they can, If you can do a better job, go start your own site and moderate how you want there.

It is just an opinion, and my perspective.

I had a hand in creating the lounge, I had a hand in keeping it hands off for the most part and not wanting it to be heavy handed, now I am just looking at it and pointing out what I see.

I still don't want it heavy handed. Controlled chaos makes for interesting forum, it is just a little out of hand IMO.

I hope at the very least the notice, the thread, the poll, will at least let people know that not everyone likes the current state. And maybe gather some support from new users.

I actually think the lounge has been running better and a bit more active in a positive way since it is being talked about again. Some of the usual suspects are a bit more chill. The thread is a good thing, regardless of staff changes. The users will at think about it more. Most would not post the crap under their primary user account, because they are either nice or concerned with others thinking they are. They just get caught up with what is allowed. When in Rome, you know.

As long as the topic is being discussed and is not allowed to die down as it has in the past, most will self-regulate because they do not want to be called out about it.

I am still truly for a hands off approach to modding, you just need to be really creative in how you handle the situations when they arise. Enforce rules evenly, and don't allow staff to break them, the lounge would be fine as is. It just needs more positive support from staff.
Old 2011-01-26, 12:13 PM
Thank You Tapers & Uploaders!!
1.17 TB/9.10 TB/7.79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilove2rock View Post
I dont know that it needs to be moderated so much as people need to stop attacking each other
Sometimes in a debate, when a person has no true argument, they'll just attack because they want to win and advance their agenda no matter what so the only thing they can do is marginalize the other person. These people and some others have no sense of decency, they simply do not know what mutual respect is all about, or they have so much hatred in them that they don't care. They're sad people who should be felt sorry for. Sometimes something like a fun and normally functioning forum can be quite uncomfortable and even downright unpleasant because of types like that. Some of them will not stop with their attacks. They can't. It's a shangri-la unicorn-land dream that people will stop attacking each other. Those "people" definitely need to be told what's what and shown the door if necessary.
Old 2011-01-26, 12:15 PM
Political Hack
10.32 GB/32.56 GB/3.16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoooma View Post
Sometimes in a debate, when a person has no true argument, they'll just attack because they want to win and advance their agenda no matter what so the only thing they can do is marginalize the other person. These people and some others have no sense of decency, they simply do not know what mutual respect is all about, or they have so much hatred in them that they don't care. They're sad people who should be felt sorry for. Sometimes something like a fun and normally functioning forum can be quite uncomfortable and even downright unpleasant because of those people. They definitely need to be told what's what and shown the door if necessary.
Nice ratio.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 2011-01-26, 12:18 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_kate View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post

It is my perception, based on what I see. I think bringing them up and looking at each instance would not be productive.

It is just an opinion, and my perspective.
I hope you'll take my word for it that Bullet is pretty much the sole moderator of the Lounge. It is rare that any of the rest of us push buttons in there, specifically because it is better to have a single-minded approach so people know what to expect.

The only recent exception I can think of is Wolf, who pulled some shennanigans over the last few months. That was discussed and dealt with, productively imo. That hasn't happened since the start of the year, that I can think of. Maybe that is what you are referring to?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Tags
lounge