The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2018-09-09, 02:03 PM
Jayhawker63
218.45 GB/875.79 GB/4.01

Angry Sound Devices MixPre 6-m

I bought a new recorder. Sound Devices; made in America and a reputation as possibly the best portable audio recorder out there. Finally they have a product that's financially doable.

I never thought I could get whipped by a recorder, but I'm in over my head. I need MixPre-6M for Dummies. I'm hoping to run my SP-CMC-6 w/AT-853C's > SP-BPF (battery box) > SD-MixPre6M. The deck has 4 XLR inputs and a 1/8" mini stereo input (Aux/mic in). When I run my SP's w/ battery box I usually run them at line level. I don't know weather to run them mic in w/ phantom, just mic in, or run line level as usual. I'd also like to run the Sennheiser 441 into an LXR panned to center. I understand I want to record each track ISO. You have to set the input gain, the trim, and arm the tracks. I feel like I could mess with this thing for a year and still not totally get it.
Setting the SP's up into the 1/8" mini has me a little confused. I'm reasonably assuming this will input to two separate channel's (one panned to left and the other panned to right). I want to keep it as simple as possible. I don't wish to use any of the editing features. I want to record it as it happened. I must admit I'm so lost.

Thinking one day I may also wish to run the Nak shotguns. Can I buy XLR male to XLR female mic cables and run these condenser mics too, giving me a five mic mix. I'm also hoping if any one is horrible in won't end up part of the final mix or rendering. l'm Probably not using the deck next week. I'm thinking use the Sony M-10 and have some extra time to really figure this this out. On the other hand I'd love to record Gillian and David with the new deck. I have good seats lower level balcony front row left of center. Should be a perfect spot. Would it be reasonable to record the SP's into the Sony and line them out to the MixPre 6-M along with the Sennheiser 441 as a bonus panned to center to fill out the sound? I guess that way the SD might bring home something and I'm sure to get what I usually do with the M-10.

Any advice, experience, or tips would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
dg hale
Old 2018-09-09, 04:18 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.80 TB/9.57

Re: Sound Devices MixPre 6-m

Pretty sure phantom power will fry your SP mics. That's 48V...way more power than they need, or are meant to handle.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
mix pre 6-m, sound devices