The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-01-07, 09:42 AM
Heis
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Duplication problem.

Hello! I Recently bought a Jets To Brazil live show on DVD from ebay. When i try to copy the VIDEO_TS folder to my hard drive, i get an error message after it has copied the two first video files. These are the two only files on the disc that has actual video in them, but when i try to burn them to a DVD of my own, the player says the disc is not good. I suspect i have to burn the two remaining files also to the disc even if all they show is "snow". Has anyone got any idea on how i can burn this DVD without these files?

UPDATE: I tried creating blank files with the right names and suffixes in notepad and burn these files on the disc. The DVD-player still says incompatible disc.

Last edited by Heis; 2008-01-07 at 11:41 AM.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-01-07, 11:47 AM
Lockout here
561.46 GB/867.76 GB/1.55

Re: Duplication problem.

All files are needed for your player to recognise the disc. Try to make ISO image from the original disc and burn it.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-01-07, 11:56 AM
Heis
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I've tried that too.

Here's a list of things I've tried:

AnyDVD - Get an error
DVD-Decrypter - error
DVD-Shrink - error
CloneDVD2 - error while making iso
Copy/Paste/Burn - error
Old 2008-01-07, 12:56 PM
433.71 GB/433.00 GB/1.00

Are you getting a CRC checksum error when trying to read/copy to the hard drive?

I have one burned dvd (maybe more that I'm unaware of) that plays Ok on the standalone, but when tried to copy to HD, one .vob file was corrupted: CRC error.
Old 2008-01-07, 12:56 PM
Heis
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

i think this problem has to do with a thing called cyclic redundancy check, i am currently reading up to understand what it is, if it can be avoided, and how. Will post an update!

UPDATE (from http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/cy...edundancy.html)

[A] common cause of these errors is poorly burnt CDs and DVDs - especially those that had numerous or severe buffer underuns. USB burners suffer from this problem when the burn speed is too high (generally above 4X-8X)

If the discs are damaged, you'll probably need a recovery tool to get back your data. CDCheck 3 will work for CDs and DVDs. First it will check the media, and then you have the option to recover the files. It's free for personal use and has saved many people heartache when it comes to recovering lost digital images and videos from damaged CDs.

Last edited by Heis; 2008-01-07 at 01:02 PM.
Old 2008-01-07, 01:12 PM
433.71 GB/433.00 GB/1.00

That was I talking about. I didn't try a tool to recover CRC failed files, as that one dvd was playing fine on the SA.

Good luck to you, and please post if you find a solution.
Old 2008-01-07, 05:23 PM
Heis
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

This seems promising! I have finished recovering one of the .vob files, and it turns out exactly the same size it was originally. I'll do the last recovery tomorrow, as this one took about 3 hours and 30 minutes. I Chose 10 failed readings before skip. I will turn that down to 5 with the next files. That should save some time from this process, and it is not too important either, as the files contain no real video.
Old 2008-01-08, 08:02 AM
Heis
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

It worked a charm in the end, but i ran into som problems.

Once i had recovered the video files, the burning software said there was something wrong with the .ifo's and .bup's. What I did to bypass this was use Nero Recode selecting "recode main movie" and setting quality to 100%. That gave me a new folder with the same .vod's, but new ifo's and bup's. I burned this folder to a DVD, and what do you know, it works!

I know you people don't like recoding, and I don't know if 100% really is 100% or if nero actually recodes it anyway, but this saved my ability to duplicate this recording, which i would have no chance of doing if it wasn't for CDCheck and Nero Recode. Keep in mint that all the damaged sectors were on the part of the DVD where the video only shows "snow", therefore, no quality loss is experienced in the process of recovering files.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble