The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2011-08-23, 11:02 PM
1.81 TB/10.08 TB/5.57

Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by noseshine View Post
Regarding "needs administrator permission to change preferences":

Wait a second - are you guys joking???

This is a security nightmare! NO piece of software needs admin rights today to set user preferences. There are only two reasons why current software would ask you to run it with such elevated rights:

- The programmer does not know a thing about programming on Windows
- The programmer wants to trick you into letting you into YOUR machine as admin - and it is unlikely that their intentions are pure.

BEWARE OF THIS SOFTWARE, it may be dangerous. (or, option 1, the programmer is incompetent to a high degree)
That's just plan stupid. Dumbist thing I've seen in a long time.
Thanks Mike
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-08-24, 07:05 AM
IC Elvis & hear God on my iPod
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Location: Latitude: 52,3500°, Longitude: 4,9167°, Altitude: High

Quote:

This is a security nightmare! NO piece of software needs admin rights today to set user preferences. There are only two reasons why current software would ask you to run it with such elevated rights:

- The programmer wants to trick you into letting you into YOUR machine as admin - and it is unlikely that their intentions are pure.

BEWARE OF THIS SOFTWARE, it may be dangerous. (or, option 1, the programmer is incompetent to a high degree)
Thousands (and may be hundreds of) of people are using this nice little app (thanks to the efforts of roann) and you are the first to come along with this specific kind of problem. But if your comment is seriously intended (something I strongly doubt), I would say the problem is on your end of the line (e.g. your PC configuration or some other specific set up). I assume you also checked this nice piece of software with a virusscanner (or multiple virusscanners) and came up with the same results?

BTW: 'very nice first post!'
Old 2011-08-24, 09:27 PM
223.40 GB/326.57 GB/1.46

Quote:

Unintentionally hilarious post of the year.
Old 2011-08-24, 11:41 PM
129.00 GB/121.20 GB/0.94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth01 View Post
The developer has provided it free of charge and unlike most "free" software, not only does he not ask for anything in return but is EXTREMELY amenable to changes, suggestions and quickly implements them.
Trader's Little Helper acts as a frontend for the free console applications aucdtect.exe, flac.exe, lame.exe, mac.exe, metaflac.exe, mkwcon.exe, shntool.exe, and shorten.exe.
Old 2011-08-25, 06:15 PM
TheD00d
TTD VIP
2.43 TB/265.62 TB/109.27

Lightbulb Re: Trader's Little Helper

some people just don't know how to say thanks properly to the devz

me i say " THANKS TLH" and eh f*^K the haters

here's some haterade to cool off..

uni-
Old 2011-08-27, 12:12 AM
525.43 GB/634.66 GB/1.21

Hello,

I just started getting "range check errors" in Trader's Little Helper today when trying to encode a 24/48 wav file to FLAC. The wav file is 2.25 GB in size. Would the size of the wav file have anything to do with this error? I am 100% sure that I have encoded wav files this size to FLAC in the past.

Could the name of the file be the culprit? The file is named C4_2011-08-24_raw Any suggestions?

I was using an older version of TLH and then upgraded to the newest version today. I received the same error message using both versions. The wav encodes to 100% but does not complete, then the error message occurs over and over and over and over and over... You get the picture. I am running Windows 7 on a fairly powerful new Dell.

Thanks,

David
Old 2011-08-27, 02:44 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dactylus View Post
... I just started getting "range check errors" in Trader's Little Helper today when trying to encode a 24/48 wav file to FLAC. The wav file is 2.25 GB in size. Would the size of the wav file have anything to do with this error? ...
Encoding should work with file sizes up to 4 GB (I tested this long time ago when WinXP was the latest Microsoft OS).

Quote:
... Could the name of the file be the culprit? The file is named C4_2011-08-24_raw ...
Encoding should work with a file named C4_2011-08-24_raw (problems may occur if the file name is very long, ie more than 255 characters).

Quote:
... I was using an older version of TLH and then upgraded to the newest version today. I received the same error message using both versions. The wav encodes to 100% but does not complete, then the error message occurs over and over and over and over and over...
It would help to know whether encoding really is at 100% or not. Please encode that wav file again and "kill" TLH when the error message occurs. Then start TLH again and create shntool md5 fingerprints (st5) of the wav file and the encoded flac file. Are the fingerprints the same?

Robert
Old 2011-08-27, 10:04 AM
525.43 GB/634.66 GB/1.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by roann View Post
Encoding should work with file sizes up to 4 GB (I tested this long time ago when WinXP was the latest Microsoft OS).

Encoding should work with a file named C4_2011-08-24_raw (problems may occur if the file name is very long, ie more than 255 characters).

It would help to know whether encoding really is at 100% or not. Please encode that wav file again and "kill" TLH when the error message occurs. Then start TLH again and create shntool md5 fingerprints (st5) of the wav file and the encoded flac file. Are the fingerprints the same?

Robert
Thanks for your response Robert. I followed your instructions above and here are the results:

File 'C4_2011-07-23-EQ.flac' is possibly truncated or corrupt
00b0d23b6e9c59a8312652dddef21f48 [shntool] C4_2011-07-23-EQ.wav

There were errors

Once TLH gets to the "100% encoding" of the file the "Range Check Error Box" starts repeating over and over and over on the screen, each time creating a new "TLH range check error box". TLH does NOT display a checksum at this point, it just generates and repeats the "range check error box" ad infinitum. At that point the only way to close TLH is to shut down the machine. It is not possible to close the program normally. This same scenario played out with the same file at least 5 times yesterday.

I am stumped. I have never had any problems with TLH before and I have been using it since it's inception. TLH is an invaluable piece of software and I thank you for creating it and sharing it with us!!

Any help in resolving this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David
Old 2011-08-27, 11:50 AM
525.43 GB/634.66 GB/1.21

Hello Robert,

I tried the same operation on a different computer and got exactly the same results as above. I had to shut the machine down to stop the generation of "TLH Range Check Error" message boxes.

Old 2011-08-27, 01:14 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
... I followed your instructions above and here are the results:

File 'C4_2011-07-23-EQ.flac' is possibly truncated or corrupt
00b0d23b6e9c59a8312652dddef21f48 [shntool] C4_2011-07-23-EQ.wav

There were errors

Once TLH gets to the "100% encoding" of the file the "Range Check Error Box" starts repeating over and over and over on the screen, each time creating a new "TLH range check error box". TLH does NOT display a checksum at this point, it just generates and repeats the "range check error box" ad infinitum. At that point the only way to close TLH is to shut down the machine. It is not possible to close the program normally. ...
Thanks for your efforts. This error will be hard to track down, I'm afraid. If you have the time please test as follows:

1) Encode the wav file to shn format.
2) Shorten a copy of the wav file to a size smaller than 2 GB and encode to flac format.

I guess encoding to shn format will work and encoding to flac format will fail (again), but who knows...

Robert
Old 2011-08-28, 05:16 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Help! anyone have how to knowledge of Tapers little helper

Hi folks, my name is dan and I'm a techno misfit. This is my first eeting and could use some help with some recently acquired GD, Zero and others shows on a TB hard drive but cant use them as files came to me in SHN and FLAC formats etc...and its cuz I dont know what I'm doing...sorry to say.

I'm looking for a kind soul who can walk me through tapers little helper to help me decompress" or convert my files to audio (wav) files? I have a 160 gb ipod which I find almost useless. (any recommendations for an alternative portable mp3 player would be welcome too)

The traders little helper program files came without a users manual but I'm a quick learner.

Thanks for listening folks!!!
Old 2011-08-28, 05:38 PM
IC Elvis & hear God on my iPod
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Location: Latitude: 52,3500°, Longitude: 4,9167°, Altitude: High
Re: Help! anyone have how to knowledge of Tapers little helper

http://www.ehow.com/how_6705397_conv...le-helper.html

foobar2000 will play FLAC etc on your PC.
Old 2011-08-31, 03:36 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Re: Help! anyone have how to knowledge of Tapers little helper

Go to the Format menu in TLH and select Convert Encoding Format.

It's almost self-explanatory from there. You want to convert FLAC to mp3, then use Add to bring the FLAC files in, and select mp3 as your target format.

Why do you find the iPod useless? Have you got iTunes on your computer?

But, as was said above, you can play FLAC on the computer with Foobar
Old 2011-11-26, 01:05 AM
241.61 GB/353.36 GB/1.46

Live recordings, I don't remember. Do you pad them or fix them?
Thanks.
Old 2011-11-27, 06:40 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullpinjohn View Post
Live recordings, I don't remember. Do you pad them or fix them?
Thanks.
_fix_

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
tlh, traders little helper