The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?

Notices

Lossy or Lossless? Please use this forum to post spectral and frequency analysis posts about shows you have your doubts about.

Old 2007-05-14, 09:17 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Re: Are mp3 master recordings allowed @TTD???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
yeah, I remember and have got tapes. It sounded like records, not as "crisp" (usually in a good way) and some crackles. Sometimes a record would start skipping and it would take the dj a minute to fix it
used to happen often. Its a shame most stations dont spin their own records anymore. College radio is still fun.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-05-14, 11:22 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Most of these new vinyl LP's that modern DJ's (techno, house, electronica or hip hop) spin are crap. They originate from digital sources, so they have none of the analog warmth and definition. I'm sure most people already knew that though.
Old 2007-05-17, 12:24 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Haha, just thought of another one. If analog FM stations start using 24 bit DVD-Audio discs as source material for their broadcasts (or microphone > 24 bit AD converters > digicorder for 7 second delay for FM talk stations) they will sound BETTER than the new "High Definition" digital FM broadcasts because HD digital FM is limited to mid-bitrate (or low-bitrate?) lossy compression @ 16/44.1!!!! The bandwidth/data rate limitations would prevent them from using 24 bit sources, even lossy compression 24 bit sources. Talk about a scam!!!

I have never heard XM or Sirius digital satellite radio (limited to lossy compression @ 16/44.1). Does it sound better or worse than current analog FM stations (who use uncompressed 16/44.1 CD's as source material)?

Am I correct in assuming the bitrates for HDTV will not be as good as the bitrates for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD?
Old 2007-05-17, 10:25 PM
267.31 GB/2.55 TB/9.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioarchivist
...BTW, if I'm not mistaken (not that it matters that much) but ATRAC records at 24 bit. MD can be directly transferred digitally from ATRAC to WAV without going through a soundcard (if you have the right deck, which I don't, but...)

I can't believe you actually have been recording in lossy MD (i.e. ATRAC) this long and still don't understand the concept. It doesn't matter how many bits it is (16bit vs 24 for example) if a compression algorithm is being applied to the digital stream prior to it being burned to disc. That's it! It's now lossy, and no amount of massaging can undo it, because some of the data is gone. You can't undo this shit.
Old 2007-05-17, 10:39 PM
152.29 GB/261.57 GB/1.72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubular
test your hearing here
http://www.jimmyr.com/blog/hearingloss.html

"For most adults, hearing loss progressively clips off the higher frequencies starting at 18kHz-20kHz after the age of 19."

I could hear the 17Khz fine, 18kHz weakly, but I couldn't really hear the 19Khz one at all. Could be my cans and soundcard, but I doubt it. Guess it's about time for geritol, pants up to my chest and an oxygen tank.
shit, i'm fucking deaf. lost it at 18khz, and I'm only 17
Old 2007-05-18, 02:04 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

my ears are fucked - knew that after years of drumming - 13k & its gone.
Old 2007-05-18, 02:27 AM
46.96 GB/23.05 GB/0.49

Over the years ive recorded many bands on various different devices.At one time as long as you could hear what you had recorded,then that was ok.Which is why i feel out of place.I have been thinking a lot recently,i will just do what i do.By that i mean,record the shows i want,and if people want them they can have them.Il admit i dont understand all the mhz or khz stuff,if i can hear on a cd what i have recorded thats enough for me.As long as its not full of distortion,then im quite happy with it.I use a md...so what,i dont use big expensive mics...so what,i know that makes me a bad person and il probably go to hell.
Old 2007-05-18, 04:09 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
but these days you can get a wav recorder for less than that, as low as $55 used! In the $400 price range you could just about afford an m-audio microtrack2496 which is a rolls royce next to the pinto that is oldschool atrac md. Atrac MD is so fucking shit you have to record it thru your soundcard to get a digital copy of the recording you made!
$200 or less for a WAV recorder is something most people could afford to do and would result in better recordings for everyone.
Old 2007-05-18, 04:45 AM
46.96 GB/23.05 GB/0.49

[quote=Audioarchivist]

I would love to upgrade when I can afford to, but I don't have that income level that lets me do that right soon. Wanna loan me the dough to buy one? I'll pay back eventually! Then again, I'm not planning on taping anything in the next while, anyway. As far as older MD recordings go, they are what they are, and if they as masters aren't good enough (at least in the historical documentation sense) like they are now, I suggest that you should perform some aerial fornication with fried pastry products (Go take a flying f^ck through a doughnut hole!)

Please take this as a homourous attempt to say something serious.

Old 2007-05-18, 04:54 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Just curious, how much $$ was a portable DAT deck in like 92, 93 or 94 vs. a MiniDisc ATRAC?
Old 2007-05-18, 07:26 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Well since this thread has become so all-encompassing I might as well say this: I read that Rush Limbaugh (and lots of others) went completely deaf due to many years of heavy oxycontin/hydrocodone abuse. He now has to use a device (cochlear implant?) to be able to do his radio show. I'm sure the implant doesn't come close to restoring his hearing to the way it was before he started using drugs. Don't abuse prescription/hard drugs, kids! You don't know what they are going to do to your body! The long term effects of these newer drugs is not known.

Also a good diet (more fruits, vegetables, chicken, fish, whole grains and less red meat and junk food) contributes to overall health and may help prevent premature hearing loss.
Old 2007-05-18, 08:36 AM
161.32 GB/164.00 GB/1.02

The wav recorder for under $200.00 is here......sort of. I have had this on advanced order since April. It was originally due in late april or early may. Look at the date now:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H2/

I am working on plan B for taping a show in June.
Old 2007-05-18, 11:52 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

On that same site is the M-Audio Microtrack 24/96. It may not be the best WAV recorder (no XLR inputs) but it has 1/4" balanced TRS inputs and has a S/PDIF coaxial digital input if you are using a separate preamp/AD converter. You can record at up to 24bit/96kHz, significantly higher resolution than CD (16bit/44.1kHz). It is on sale for $300 (with free shipping) here:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MicroTrack

Add a 2 GB compact flash card (about $35) for recording longer shows @ CD quality:
http://www.flash-memory-store.com/2g...act-flash.html

or add an 8 GB compact flash card ($100) for recording longer shows @ 24bit/96kHz:
http://www.flash-memory-store.com/sa...flash-8gb.html
Old 2007-05-19, 12:29 AM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
782.72 GB/3.87 TB/5.07

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbself
The wav recorder for under $200.00 is here......sort of. I have had this on advanced order since April. It was originally due in late april or early may. Look at the date now:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H2/

I am working on plan B for taping a show in June.
Yeah that's a cool unit. I recently got to use this one, and I'm sold on it, but no $$$ yet:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H4/
Nice mics built in, onboard microphone modelling and other effects, instrument preamps for direct musician recording, and 4 track recording capability. 1/4 inch - XLR - 1/8 mini mic plugs, blablablah! Wow! The H2 is lots smaller, though (stealth)
Back in the day, when I was still able to use my Sony WM DC3, I was seriously looking at a portable DAT. They were around $1000 CDN, and I nearly bought one from a buddy used for about $400, but it was used to death, and needed fixing.
Anyway, I understand plenty of concepts, as far as slewofboots was saying. I'm just fixing someone's mistaken remark that atrac was 16 bit, when it's 24 bit atrac codec. Yes, it's a 'lossy' codec, but by my unscientific poll, a big percentage of us here also have matching 'lossy' ears!
I'm curious if anyone's heard my dual MD master recording of Robert Plant, which I 'massaged' the data into being a little less lossy than it was. I'm not claiming any miracle cures, but I'm way more satisfied listening to it post-processing than raw... It would be a good lesson for me if someone who's good with spotting loss would do their best to analyze that for me, and tell me what they think.
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=37041
Old 2007-05-19, 06:46 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

as i believe Five mentioned in another thread that the Zoom recorder was brought up, i'd steer clear of their products...and i'm sure any of the other members around here who work in the audio field would concur...basically, they make cheap shite--maybe it looks good on paper but in reality

not tryin to be argumentative, i'd just hate to see someone drop $200-$300 bucks on something thats gonna disappoint em a year or two down the road...just a FWIW

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?