The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-02-03, 03:02 AM
yes I said yes I will Yes
260.18 GB/130.01 GB/0.50

External Drive Not Working (Mac Version)

Hello fellow Mac geeks,

I have a LaCie blue brick external hard drive running with a G4 iMac (running Tiger OS 10.4).

This hard drive worked just dandy when I bought it last year, but since Apple upgraded OS 10.4 last summer (I'm running 10.4.11 now) there are known issues with the OS updates and this external drive. Basically my Mac just doesn't want to know.

Every time I boot up the hard disk I have to "repair" it with disk doctor. Sometimes it just doesn't show up at all. It used to work just dandy, and it's a real drag.

I really don't want to buy another hard drive when there isn't a technical fault.

Does anyone know a trick or work around so I can use my hard drive without all this hassle? Thanks.
Old 2008-02-03, 12:50 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: External Drive Not Working (Mac Version)

Hopefully ffooky will come by cuz he always has excellent advise. I have none, sorry. When I was running 10.4, my LaCie external drive was working just fine (and still is). Have you looked on the apple forums for solutions?

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-02-04, 12:35 PM
yes I said yes I will Yes
260.18 GB/130.01 GB/0.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
Hopefully ffooky will come by cuz he always has excellent advise. I have none, sorry. When I was running 10.4, my LaCie external drive was working just fine (and still is). Have you looked on the apple forums for solutions?
Thanks Lynne - I have looked on a lot of forums, and spent hours trying to find an answer on Google... no dice so far

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what OS are you running now, and does you Lacie drive work ok with it?

Here's hoping your friend ffooky can help me out so!
Old 2008-02-04, 12:56 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branston View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
Thanks Lynne - I have looked on a lot of forums, and spent hours trying to find an answer on Google... no dice so far

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what OS are you running now, and does you Lacie drive work ok with it?

Here's hoping your friend ffooky can help me out so!
I'm running 10.5.1 and the drive works fine. I only run it when I need it though. I can't find a model number on my LaCie. Very weird.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-02-04, 02:18 PM
welcome to the water ball
218.15 GB/255.13 GB/1.17

Steve Jobs is the BEST! He makes sure everything works with an Apple...if it was made by Apple, that is.

He may make Gates look good soon. Now wouldn't that be a turnaround!

Btw, try a Seagate. Cheaper by the day. My Lacie has the same issues on occasion with my pc, but a reboot almost always fixes it.

Good luck!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble