The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

View Poll Results: Should there be Exceptions to Seeding Guidelines?
Nope, They are perfect 20 55.56%
Yes, I think they are a little too tight. 14 38.89%
No Opinion 2 5.56%
Only people banned from edj, (past or preset) have any bizz on this site period. 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2005-01-07, 02:14 PM
DeepElem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Too Tight, Too Loose, Just right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDSTree
It was me. I pm'd you. I don't care if anyone knows. I didn't move it to purg, but I was going to (someone beat me to it).

This isn't to start a fight with you Charlie, but if you were honestly NOT trying to break the rules, then why did the following start your thread?

Clearly, this is an attempt to circumvent the seeding guidelines here at STG. I know you're not trying to cause any harm, but if you know what the rules are, follow them. Since you said you were purposely doing this in an attempt to have it in pulled torrents, it was moved to purg instead as it does not meet TTD guidelines and shouldn't even be listed.

And that's WJWD!

have a nice day
Doc, you once pm'd me that I needed to get off the booze, maybe you neeed to unhook the nitrous, this ain't STG.

And it was a attempt to see if there was any common sense used, which I found my answer to.

WWJD?
He'd say spread the music folks, enjoy..
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-01-07, 02:17 PM
DeepElem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
All the pulled torrents are deleted eventually. they just go to the pulled forum so the seeder can see why they were pulled. Since Charlie clearly stated in his post he knew it would be pulled, knew why it would be pulled and was just doing it to get around the site guidelines there was no reason to put the thread in the pulled forum.
But I ALSO say, at least there it will be visable (in pulled).
Someone could of seen it there, pm'd me, and a copy would go in the mail or I'd seed again at my home, EZT
Old 2005-01-07, 02:19 PM
DeepElem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
I had nothing to do with pulling this show, but I honestly don't understand what the big stink was. All you had to do was write down the following at the beginning of the seed:

SBD > ? > CDRx > EAC > WAV > FLAC

Then make a note that, though it's of unknown lineage, that it's digitally clean, gapless, and complete. The problem I see here is that this contains officially released material, unless I am mistaken. And all you have to do is make a short post in Technobabble BEFORE posting and a mod will let you know whether it's OK or not, and work with you to get it to a point where it is.

Edit to add: Maybe it's not officially released, so I see no reason why it wouldn't be an ok seed if formatted and notated nicely.
Sure, SBD > ? > CDRx > EAC > WAV > FLAC, would of been easy.
But I couldn't trace it to that, so in my book, that's making up lineage, lieing, and I just won't fuckin do it...
Old 2005-01-07, 02:24 PM
DeepElem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
Really? Wouldn't you think there would be a better source that remained gapless throughout its lifetime? That looks messy to me. Just mho, I know it's not my call. I just figure if it had gaps probably someone burned it TAO and there should be a source that never had that problem.

anythings possible
commenet from ezt user:

#200249 by iarooster at 2005-01-06 23:45:18 GMT
In my 22+ years of tape trading, this has always been my favorite show. I've traded for it I don't know how many times. I started off with a cassette that was pretty pitiful; there was a ton of tape skew/wow and flutter through most of Back to Memphis and it was plenty hissy. But what a show! Over the years I got better cassettes, then DATs, then discs. The version I've got now is mighty damn good but I'm always looking for a possible upgrade.

By the way, Saved is from 7-31. That show doesn't hold a candle to this one...
Old 2005-01-07, 02:27 PM
DeepElem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
Couldn't you use that as an argument for any gen cd-r then? If it has been properly EAC'd... Not trying to be argumentative, I like the strict standards here, and that lineage to me seems to be no better than an unknown cdr. this brilliant suggestion?
ok, i have no problem with your opinion.
but, shouldn't all ppl be able to decide if want to take a chance?
Old 2005-01-07, 02:47 PM
DeepElem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

This will be my last post on this thread, cause I really didn't mean to cause any trouble, but when I start seeing posts like i'm gonna post from ezt, I can tell some folks were happy, theres not alot of posting at ezt on most seeds.

paste:
1-#200249 by iarooster at 2005-01-06 23:45:18 GMT
In my 22+ years of tape trading, this has always been my favorite show. I've traded for it I don't know how many times. I started off with a cassette that was pretty pitiful; there was a ton of tape skew/wow and flutter through most of Back to Memphis and it was plenty hissy. But what a show! Over the years I got better cassettes, then DATs, then discs. The version I've got now is mighty damn good but I'm always looking for a possible upgrade.

By the way, Saved is from 7-31. That show doesn't hold a candle to this one...

2-y davmar77 at 2005-01-06 17:29:48 GMT
this was quite a weekend.watkins glen was a couple days earlier with the dead,allmans and the band.i recall an interview with lesh saying the hardest thing abut that fest was convincing the band to play.it was their 1st live show since 12/31/71 at the academy of music from the shows used for 'rock of ages'.considering their absence from touring,you sure couldn't see anything lacking in their set.then both nights in jersey city with the dead from 20 ft in front of the stage.and this night,8/1/73,was garcia's birthday.
ah ,the good ol' daze,
dave

3- Migrant at 2005-01-06 19:09:19 GMT
Thanks DeepElem, I've been looking for this for quite awhile.
Please find some pix that I previously acquired.
What's the betting that Augustus Owsley Stanley III, "The Bear", recorded this?

4-nice pics.did you see me? i was the one clapping near the stage.
as far as who recorded,i think bear was out of circulation at this time.it could be a betty board or just another in the usual day's events of documenting all the shows.
dave
5-In comment #200049 Piperstash wrote something like this:

heheheheh my gfs mom and da went to this show, thats too funny, gonna have to get on this and get a copy for them

Give her a copy, she has and had along time ago Very Good Taste to see The Band

End:
u can go read the rest.
But that's what all this is about to me, seeing ppl happy.
I'll be around, not on this thread tho.
Charlie
Old 2005-01-07, 03:46 PM
Do lord deliver our kind.
362.46 GB/665.51 GB/1.84

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepElem
The Band
Roosevelt Stadium
Jersey City, NJ
8/1/73 (Wed)
Thanks! I have this......didn't D/L from STG, got it in a trade.....lemme check and see if mine has these flaws, and if so I'll PM ya to work out a snail mail trade......
Old 2005-01-07, 05:09 PM
New Homebrew
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

1) I think posting shows that have had gaps edited out of them is a mistake, especially if using EAC to edit. It means that someone along the way did not know what they were doing and there is a greater chance something is wrong with your discs. You can always trace the cd trade back through who you got it from.

2) If you insist on sharing something there are many other ways to accomplish that.
Old 2005-01-07, 05:24 PM
184.53 GB/286.97 GB/1.56

I can see what Charlie is saying. And the answer lies in front of him - post it on a site where the question of lineage is not so strict.
I also appreciate that Charlie just wanted to let people here know that he had a torrent on another site. Fine. But, the point that should always be remembered is that this site has a specific purpose and specific standards. If a torrent doesn't match those standards then it gets pulled. These standards are clearly laid out at various points across the site.
So, the music is important, but on TTD the lineage of the music is also seen as important too.
And that should be the end of it. Would you go to a tracker purely for Pearl Jam, for example, amd post your Band torrent there? I would guess not, because that tracker is about the music, but only a small part of it. The same thing here. If the seed doesn't meet the requirements of the site then it shouldn't be posted.
Old 2005-01-07, 08:16 PM
250.15 GB/491.13 GB/1.96

Quote:
You Sure?

I want to tell the truth, part 2

I know for a fact it was taken down twice, I saw it was gone, and asked someother jerk like me, to see if it was just me, and it was gone the 2nd time.

I don't mind posting it here, if ppl want to see, if part 2 is down.
I had to sart a part 2, cause green made some lame ass post, then closed the thread
it was only way I could reply.
I carried over his last post.
I really got this gut feeling, that the reason he keeps pulling in it, is , guessing now:
I stated in that post, that he had offered to split all site donations equal, between green,rick, and me. I told him no, all donations should only go to support the site, not in anyones pocket.
I must of missed the part 2 part. I thought you were talking about the post you sent me.
Old 2005-01-07, 08:59 PM
41.09 GB/29.31 GB/0.71

I had a hard time following this thread. Last time I posted I thought it would evolve into a very useful discussion on the matter of strict vs loose. Instead it appeared to have been a soapbox. Where's the thumbsdown icon.

The only issue I have involves the barring of webcast sources. What if the webcast is the SOLE source for a particular show? And I mean SOLE. ONLY. NO OTHER. Still not worthy of sharing? And why not, when "webcast" would be clearly stated in the lineage? It's not like the users downloading would not know. That's my only "too tight" complaint.
Old 2005-01-07, 09:13 PM
923.61 MB/96.22 MB/0.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presence
I had a hard time following this thread. Last time I posted I thought it would evolve into a very useful discussion on the matter of strict vs loose. Instead it appeared to have been a soapbox. Where's the thumbsdown icon.

The only issue I have involves the barring of webcast sources. What if the webcast is the SOLE source for a particular show? And I mean SOLE. ONLY. NO OTHER. Still not worthy of sharing? And why not, when "webcast" would be clearly stated in the lineage? It's not like the users downloading would not know. That's my only "too tight" complaint.
Well... what happens when the multitrack mixdown masters of that "webcast" eventually find their way into circulation ? Do you think it's possible that TDD's objective might be to hold off on distro'ing the lossy source in general ??. And why is it so important to distribute it through TDD when there are other torrent sites that would host it, despite the lineage ?
Old 2005-01-07, 10:19 PM
11.76 GB/25.98 GB/2.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo2u
Well... what happens when the multitrack mixdown masters of that "webcast" eventually find their way into circulation ? Do you think it's possible that TDD's objective might be to hold off on distro'ing the lossy source in general ??. And why is it so important to distribute it through TDD when there are other torrent sites that would host it, despite the lineage ?
Exactly. This site is for certain things, not everything needs to be shared, banning webcasts still leave thousands of shows out there to torrent. And by the way I have tons of pre-webcast masters, they seem to leak all the time, in the last month of STG there were 4 or 5 of them. Right of the top of my head there was the Radiohead webcasts that were from a VHS master, there was a flaming lips webcast that was from a low gen video, I'm sure there are others out there.
Old 2005-01-07, 10:47 PM
13.61 GB/38.48 GB/2.83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
The user of FM has no contract with the radio station. When you subscribe to XM you sign a contract that forbids you from sharing stuff. So it is in no way anything like FM.

Your not even allowed to give out a play list.

Thats kinda funny, you can go to XM411.com and pull up all the songs and artist that they play and what not, so I don't know why you can't share the playlist, likewise with the new MyFi which I just got this week and still figuring out what I think of it, you can record five hours of broadcast and what not.

I was merely saying that all of the stuff on FM is copyrighted i.e. if you listen to a live concert on FM you're most likely going to hear a legal message of
"you can not record, reproduce...."
Just because there is no contract between user and station does not mean that a person is free to do with the broadcast as they please. There is a certain agreement that a person enters into when they listen to the radio. The copyright holder could certainly come after anyone sharing an FM sourced show.
Anyways, no big deal, just explaining what I meant.
Thanks
-Tim

Don't just start encoding all your old VHS to DVD, check to see if there is a better source out there.
Old 2005-01-08, 04:50 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
I had nothing to do with pulling this show, but I honestly don't understand what the big stink was. All you had to do was write down the following at the beginning of the seed:

SBD > ? > CDRx > EAC > WAV > FLAC

Then make a note that, though it's of unknown lineage, that it's digitally clean, gapless, and complete. The problem I see here is that this contains officially released material, unless I am mistaken. And all you have to do is make a short post in Technobabble BEFORE posting and a mod will let you know whether it's OK or not, and work with you to get it to a point where it is.

Edit to add: Maybe it's not officially released, so I see no reason why it wouldn't be an ok seed if formatted and notated nicely.
Quote:
Sure, SBD > ? > CDRx > EAC > WAV > FLAC, would of been easy.
But I couldn't trace it to that, so in my book, that's making up lineage, lieing, and I just won't fuckin do it...
Let's not put any fiction in the lineage. "no lineage" is fiction. Let's make a lineage that's accurate for your show so that you can post it...
  • This is SBD. This is the first piece of your lineage.
  • TAO gaps are caused by burning an audio cdr TAO. Since we don't know how the SBD got to CDR, we have to add a "?". Since we don't know how many copies were made of that audio cdr, we have to make it CDR(x).
  • This audio cdr was then extracted and converted to FLAC with unknown software. This is how you received the show.
  • Tracks were joined using SHNtool.
  • TAO gaps were removed using EAC.
  • Tracks were split using CDWave.
  • The split tracks were encoded to FLAC.
You know a lot about what happened to the show, but didn't report even one thing in the Lineage, not even "SBD" at the beginning or "FLAC" at the end. There is no such thing as "no lineage". By my reasoning the above list is everything we can tell for certain about the show, so I would write the lineage as:

SBD > ? > CDR(x) > ?unknown extraction software > FLAC > SHNtool (all tracks joined) > EAC (TAO gap removal) > CDWave (re-tracking) > FLAC

You listened very carefully to the show and even posted a detailed list of the flaws you found. This is excellent work!

We don't want people making up fictional lineage. I stress the point that "no lineage" is the fiction. "no lineage" is lying. The only way a show could have no lineage is if you can't tell if it is AUD or SBD and also can't identify the format to which it has been encoded. Any show posted at TTD without lineage will be pulled immediately.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions