The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-08-14, 09:16 AM
192.25 GB/262.53 GB/1.37

fixing disks with gaps

Is there any way to fix a CD-R that someone burned from an mp3 source, and it has 2-second gaps in between songs? If anyone could help me out here I'd appreciate it. I don't have the original mp3 files, just the CD-Rs.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-08-14, 09:24 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: fixing disks with gaps

You need to extract the audio using EAC (PC) or xACT (Mac) and then edit each wav file by removing the 'flat' part of the audio (since it is the gap) and then burn it again. When I used to do this, I used Jam (I'm on a Mac) and it had PEAK with it which allowed me to delete small portions of the audio prior to burning.

Old 2007-08-15, 05:54 AM
Utterly Bastard Groovy
75.55 GB/92.04 GB/1.22

Yeah, you need to do this ny hand and then it is hoping that the gaps fit seamlessly. But really, when its MP3 - I wouldn't bother.
Old 2007-08-16, 07:08 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by bataclan2002
Is there any way to fix a CD-R that someone burned from an mp3 source, and it has 2-second gaps in between songs? If anyone could help me out here I'd appreciate it. I don't have the original mp3 files, just the CD-Rs.
I could do it on my Alesis Masterlink; if you're happy to send the discs to me by snail-mail, it'll take me 5-10mins to accomplish (depending on numbers of tracks/discs), then burn time to create new discs. If you want me to use your favoured blanks, just send them along with the originals.

Where are you? I'm in Scotland, UK. Send me a private message via this forum if you'd like me to help.

Regards, Graham
Old 2007-08-16, 07:12 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karst
Yeah, you need to do this ny hand and then it is hoping that the gaps fit seamlessly. But really, when its MP3 - I wouldn't bother.
Well, if it's the ONLY version of the music that the owner has, even though it is mp3, then it's pretty important, wouldn't ya say...?

...as regards 'hoping the gaps fit seamlessly' - I've done this procedure with gapped discs before, and the 'audition' and 'shuffle' editing features on the Alesis have allowed me to get a fit that satisfies me; and I'm pretty picky myself.....

Regards, Graham
Old 2007-08-16, 08:01 AM
Utterly Bastard Groovy
75.55 GB/92.04 GB/1.22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRC
Well, if it's the ONLY version of the music that the owner has, even though it is mp3, then it's pretty important, wouldn't ya say...?
I would find it very surprising if the MP3 was the only version. I mean, if it was important to you, you'd track down the music in better quality.
Old 2007-08-16, 10:58 AM
192.25 GB/262.53 GB/1.37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRC
I could do it on my Alesis Masterlink; if you're happy to send the discs to me by snail-mail, it'll take me 5-10mins to accomplish (depending on numbers of tracks/discs), then burn time to create new discs. If you want me to use your favoured blanks, just send them along with the originals.

Where are you? I'm in Scotland, UK. Send me a private message via this forum if you'd like me to help.

Regards, Graham
Thanks for the kind offer! I think I'd like to try to do it myself, as I have a few titles that need fixing. And you are correct, Graham, mp3 is the only format I have for these, although they are much loved! So enhancing the experience by removing those annoying gaps is important to me.
Thanks again. I'll let you know if I succeed. And thanks to all for the advice.
Old 2007-08-16, 11:52 AM
Utterly Bastard Groovy
75.55 GB/92.04 GB/1.22

Old 2007-08-16, 12:15 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bataclan2002
Thanks for the kind offer! I think I'd like to try to do it myself, as I have a few titles that need fixing. And you are correct, Graham, mp3 is the only format I have for these, although they are much loved! So enhancing the experience by removing those annoying gaps is important to me.
Thanks again. I'll let you know if I succeed. And thanks to all for the advice.
Please do this only for your own enjoyment. If you trade them, then most likely somewhere along the line someone will try to upload them somewhere and end of spreading an mp3 sourced show. You may want to try to find the shows in lossless format before fixing the gaps yourself.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble