The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2008-11-12, 03:43 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

Re: Mandatory screenshots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew101 View Post
I think if screenshots were mandatory, then audio samples for audio boots would be a must
I'd be all for that personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
I hate not being a real man.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-11-12, 05:00 PM
TTD Staff
0.00 KB/5.71 TB/Inf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew101
for an AUD you can have a crystal clear screenshot only to find out it was shot handheld by some one with Parkinsons.
That's why we want it to be noted (Tripod or Handheld)
Old 2008-11-12, 05:58 PM
Thread Killer
301.22 GB/627.00 GB/2.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew101 View Post
I think if screenshots were mandatory, then audio samples for audio boots would be a must, not that I don't appreciate screens and mp3 samples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer View Post
I'd be all for that personally.
So would I.

Thanks for all the opinions. I know there's no simple solution. I've cut off downloads after getting enough to see an example, and finding out it wasn't 'up to snuff' for me. Done the same with audio torrents. I've also seen videos with bitrates of 4000 that look and sound far superior to video with bitrates of 8000 - not to mention pro-shot and even studio releases that were horrendous (the Police Synchronicity show is a good example of a bad dvd). I just felt that if we demand full disclosure of spec and lineage, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to get a sample, even though it might be 'massaged' to show or sound favorable.
Old 2008-11-12, 06:30 PM
0.00 KB/720.16 MB/Inf.

I think there should just be an optional sample box in the original upload page, be it audio or video. Either a "Browse..." button, or a link from a website.
Old 2008-11-12, 08:13 PM
TTD Staff
0.00 KB/5.71 TB/Inf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpsichord
I've also seen videos with bitrates of 4000 that look and sound far superior to video with bitrates of 8000 -
I think you're comparing apples & oranges. Tv broadcasts these days are around 4mbs. A proper capture & author of that stream is going to be at the same bit rate and look far superior to even a perfect VHS capture of a master tape.

With old VHS, here's an apples to apples comparison using the same source tape:
standalone capture at 2.6mbs
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=55561
proper capture/render at 8.2mbs
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...634#post942634

Standard Def Audience shot footage to miniDV...if the capture is done correctly, is horrendously degraded when rendered at 8mbs VS 4mbs
Old 2013-11-11, 10:56 AM
arfarf
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Screenshots for videos

Has TTD considered requiring, or at least strongly suggesting, screenshots for video uploads?

I'm fairly bandwidth challenged, and it would sure be an aid to me to be able to determine if I'm using my bandwidth wisely.

I'm not sure what is entailed in grabbing/posting a screenshot, so this may be not be practical, but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 2013-11-11, 02:08 PM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

Re: Screenshots for videos

I agree it helps to decide just as I appreciate pm3 samples esp. since my ISP is now limiting transfer limits but I think it's best left up to the uploader if they choose to provide that - they are doing plenty just in sharing what they have IMO

Hopefully one can deduce from others comments but I know that doesn't always happen.
Old 2013-11-11, 02:55 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

I used to add screenshots, but it's a drag to do.
Old 2013-11-11, 04:47 PM
arfarf
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Screenshots really would have helped prevent me from D/Ling a lot of really crappy Grateful Dead video, stuff that would later draw comments like "this video was pretty much unwatchable, but now that it's been synced with soundboard audio..." If I'd known that in advance, I would have just grabbed the audio. (Note that comment was from another tracker about a video which I have no idea if it's been offered here or not.)

Unfortunately, most folks don't make comments as to the quality of what they grabbed, unless it's really on one end of the scale or the other.

The comment HB made about what I assume he meant to say mp3 samples is a valid one as well. I'll try to figure that out before I up any audio here, but that's well down the list. I was happy just to have sorted out EAC so I can finally start sharing some of the "silvers" I used to pick up for cheap at record shows in Germany.
Old 2013-11-11, 05:01 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

The thing about bad video, is somehow it is vastly improved with nice audio. That's the conventional wisdom behind synching a seperate audio source, whereas, a nice video is not much fun if the sound sucks.

Grateful Dead fans will grab anything they can get their hands on, which is why so many people will sit and watch vids even on youtube. So that is a realm all in itself.

In terms of "bad video" - Pink Floyd leads the pack. Awful video, and equally bad audio, yet they get scooped up. Stones have some real stinkers too. I think if you love a certain band, you are likely to get all you can, if only for historical purposes.

Last edited by vladsmythe; 2013-11-11 at 05:06 PM.
Old 2013-11-11, 07:37 PM
arfarf
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I see this issue has already be covered:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=66068

Staff may feel free to delete or merge this thread, afaic.
Old 2013-11-11, 09:59 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfarf View Post
Screenshots really would have helped prevent me from D/Ling a lot of really crappy Grateful Dead video, stuff that would later draw comments like "this video was pretty much unwatchable, but now that it's been synced with soundboard audio..." If I'd known that in advance, I would have just grabbed the audio. (Note that comment was from another tracker about a video which I have no idea if it's been offered here or not.)

Unfortunately, most folks don't make comments as to the quality of what they grabbed, unless it's really on one end of the scale or the other.

The comment HB made about what I assume he meant to say mp3 samples is a valid one as well. I'll try to figure that out before I up any audio here, but that's well down the list. I was happy just to have sorted out EAC so I can finally start sharing some of the "silvers" I used to pick up for cheap at record shows in Germany.
Don't waste your bandwidth on this one. http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=88062
Old 2013-11-11, 11:40 PM
arfarf
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

heck, I won't even waste my time following the link, lol
Old 2013-11-13, 07:55 AM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfarf View Post
are you serious? the Dead?

isn't there enough saturation of their shit on the internet that ya can't determine the quality by

I'm done here
Old 2013-11-13, 10:21 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions