The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-04-16, 05:12 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: dvdr trading formats/standards discussion ?

Moving to Technobabble where you should get more people involved in the discussion.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-04-16, 05:21 PM
10.01 GB/7.17 GB/0.72

AFAIK some standalone DVD players definately cant play DVDs burnt as data discs, but I'd say players made in the last 12-18 months shouldnt have problems playing them
Old 2005-04-16, 06:11 PM
4.90 TB/4.78 TB/0.97

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfatefrog
AFAIK some standalone DVD players definately cant play DVDs burnt as data discs, but I'd say players made in the last 12-18 months shouldnt have problems playing them
ok, i think you missed the point. go back and read my earlier post and you'll see, EVERY dvd IS a "data" disc. Its the FORMAT of that data on the disc that counts. When you burn a DVD-VIDEO compliant disc you are simply burning a data disc in the DVD-VIDEO format.

See, with audio cdrs, you can burn an audio disc which is an entirely different format from ISO-9660 (data/CD-ROM,etc). The sectors are a different length i believe and there is less CRC data (error checking) for each sector since the actual data integrity isnt the issue, its the listenability.

With SHN/data discs (ISO-9660 format) there is an actual filesystem structure on the disc, with a table of contents, etc. There is extra CRC information so that bad sectors can be repaired on the fly (as with audios but more of it) because the actual data integrity is the issue in this case.

This is the same with the SVCD/VCD format .There are different modes and thus sector sizes. Ever wonder why you can extract a full VCD mpeg but that same mpeg file is larger than you can burn onto a single cdr (ISO-9660) ? Its because of the smaller usuable data size of the ISO-9660 format. There is more error correcting information per sector (that you have no control over) required.

A pop here and there isnt going to ruin an audio disc, but even 1 bad bit on a
data disc could cause disaster.

ok, so accordingly, there is NO equivalent of the audio format for DVDs.
I *believe* even DVD-A (DVD audio) discs are simply the audio files dropped into the AUDIO_TS folder on the disc. (Could be wrong here).

check this:

"Almost all DVD-Video and DVD-ROM discs use the UDF bridge format, which is a combination of the DVD MicroUDF (subset of UDF 1.02) and ISO 9660 file systems. The OSTA UDF file system will eventually replace the ISO 9660 system originally designed for CD-ROMs, but the bridge format provides backwards compatibility until more operating systems support UDF"

i got this from this link:
http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
under section 4.2

This silly notion that there are "data" dvd discs and "video" dvd discs and they are wholly separate is wrong.

Last edited by bpurvis; 2005-04-16 at 06:18 PM.
Old 2005-04-16, 08:49 PM
1.81 TB/10.08 TB/5.57

The 2 best sites for this are videohelp.com and cdfreaks.com There is so much info there it's hard to find anything.
Thanks Mike
Old 2005-04-17, 08:04 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

bpurvis hit the nail on the head [pardon the old-man expression!]

one thing DVD trading hasn't been as picky about is the "format" its being traded in...most audiophiles [when trading an audio show] don't want it burnt to a cdr as a audio cd...they want it as a "data disc" [more specifiaclly ISO-9660]

likewise, DVD traders should become just as particular...this is because DVD is inherently lossy [there is no possible way to author a video losslessly]...given that, standards should be more carefully watched...i personally don't want a show burned to DVD-Video, cuz then i have to extract it, and that leaves the door open to numerous problems...

the argument will undoubtedly come up that not everyone who trades is an audiophile/videophile and why should us "quality snobs" hold everyone to the standards...but, for those who were trading video back before DVD was around, you know what lax standards leads to...

in re: to changin an .ifo file...i do believe thats true, but not when burning a UDF "data disc"...only when burning a DVD-Video [i'm pretty sure thats correct, but not 100%]...hence, the need to trade DVD in "data" format with md5 checksums, and NOT DVD-Video discs.
Old 2005-04-17, 08:08 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

bpurvis...

sorry to continue using the "data disc" term...yer absolutely correct re: the data vs. dvd-video issue...but most people think in terms of data vs dvd discs, so i didn't want to confuse them
Old 2005-07-10, 01:02 AM
1.09 TB/778.09 GB/0.70

MD5 Checksum Question

Probably a stupid question, but I'm trying to upload my first DVD here. Using MD5Summer to generate my checksum, but when I'm ready to upload to the tracker, I'm needing to include the checksum details in the tracker announce or else the tracker won't accept my announce. The problem is that I can't seem to get a copy of the MD5 signature from MD Summer to paste into the corresponding block of the tracker announce.

For audio's I just use the FLAC fingerprint, which generates a text file that you can copy into that block. Obviously, videos aren't FLACs though, so you must use an MD5 generating software package in order to generate MD5 fingerprints for the VIDEO_TS folder.

So, how do I get a copy of the MD5 signature to paste into that tracker block???
Old 2005-07-10, 01:43 AM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Re: MD5 Checksum Question

If you're on a pc, just right click on the md5 and select "edit" from the menu. That opens it in notepad or something then you can just copy and paste the text from it. If you're on a Mac I suppose you can open it with text editor or simple text or whatever it's called and do the same. Is that what you needed to know?

Old 2005-07-10, 02:20 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

right-click, open with notepad

and you're off to the races

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-07-10, 06:21 AM
1.09 TB/778.09 GB/0.70

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnmusic
Probably a stupid question, but I'm trying to upload my first DVD here. Using MD5Summer to generate my checksum, but when I'm ready to upload to the tracker, I'm needing to include the checksum details in the tracker announce or else the tracker won't accept my announce. The problem is that I can't seem to get a copy of the MD5 signature from MD Summer to paste into the corresponding block of the tracker announce.

For audio's I just use the FLAC fingerprint, which generates a text file that you can copy into that block. Obviously, videos aren't FLACs though, so you must use an MD5 generating software package in order to generate MD5 fingerprints for the VIDEO_TS folder.

So, how do I get a copy of the MD5 signature to paste into that tracker block???
Thank you very much!
Old 2005-07-14, 12:24 AM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

What Is A DVD ISO Image?

I've been having some problems burning dvd's, so I made an ISO image of it, because, that was the only thing i could really do for a couple of them. I have no idea what it is.
Old 2005-07-14, 06:26 AM
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99

Re: What Is A DVD ISO Image?

It's just what it says it is - an "image" of the disc rather then the files themselves. I believe there are also programs out there that can decompress the image down to the individual files & folders as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpermaLopez
Sorry, I'm still a n00b.
Old 2005-07-14, 07:10 AM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

So burning an image isnt the same as burning the files right?
Old 2005-07-14, 07:17 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

I'm not sure how DVD's are burned, but the end result of burning an image and burning the files is basically the same - you get a DVD that you can watch. An image is an EXACT copy of the contents of the CD/DVD, all contained in one neat file.

You can also burn the individual files for a DVD as data. That is, they'll be stored as regular files - just like on your HD, but you won't be able to watch the DVD when the files are burned as data.
Old 2005-07-14, 08:00 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

you can't watch it on a standalone but it is still possible to watch a DVD burned as data on your computer as you would watch any DVD on yer computer using media player classic or VLC Player etc.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble