The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-10-10, 03:52 PM
5.74 GB/9.45 GB/1.65

Angry Anyone have Clearwire as their ISP?

I didn't know about their bandwidth throttling before I got the service. I had never had prior concerns with speed with my UTorrent 1.6. When I first had the service, the speeds were OK. Now the D/L speed maxes out at half of my usual speed (but usually flails along to less than that), and my U/L capability is so beyond pathetic now that my ratio is going down the crapper fast. When U/L I make contact with a peer for about 15 seconds and max out somewhere around 4-5 kB/s before it inevitably slides back to zero. After doing this pattern for a short while, I can't make any more contact.

Has anyone had any success getting around the throttling issue? By recommendation, I use Tor for anonymity, but that hasn't helped. And no, calling Clearwire and begging them to open a port for whatever reason won't work. I have Windows Vista, and the TCP/IP patches that are released to set the connections limit are long obsolete (they need to be updated with each new Vista security update, but no one seems to be keeping the patch up-to-date to counter each update).

If you didn't know already, torrent users need to stay away from Clearwire.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-10-10, 06:40 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Anyone have Clearwire as their ISP?

Do you have encryption enabled in uTorrent (not forced) w/ allow incoming legacy connections? Also using a port between 50,000 and 60,000 helps. This thread about Sandvine might help as well:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=45154
Old 2007-10-10, 08:42 PM
Long Distance Runner
1.32 TB/2.12 TB/1.61

I think clearwire is owned by... Comcast (YIKES). The technology is called Sandvine, if that's the case. Jump ship if you can.
Old 2007-10-13, 04:40 PM
5.74 GB/9.45 GB/1.65

I don't think Comcast has anything to do with Clearwire. All I've seen regarding Clearwire was a partnership with Sprint. And I didn't see anywhere about a Clearwire/Sandvine connection. Tried running WIPFW mentioned in the thread given and the appropriate tweaking, but it's not doing anything. Although I installed it, I was getting errors while installing and get the disappearing command prompt window when trying to run the .exe file. I have Vista and there's only mention of support up to XP (having Administrator's rights or not isn't the issue--already tried that one).

But I've left my computer running for about 10 hours and have managed to raise my ratio a whopping .03, so hooray!
Old 2007-10-15, 08:06 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Thumbs up Re: Anyone have Clearwire as their ISP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubular
Do you have encryption enabled in uTorrent (not forced) w/ allow incoming legacy connections? Also using a port between 50,000 and 60,000 helps.
It could be simple throttling, not sandvine. Encryption and a high port number would help a lot.
Old 2007-10-19, 02:32 PM
5.74 GB/9.45 GB/1.65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubular
It could be simple throttling, not sandvine. Encryption and a high port number would help a lot.
I've always used the encryption and have had a high port (in the 60,000's), and I've tweaked my Utorrent setup until the cows have come home. And, the improvement, if any, has been lightly marginal at best. Any improvement has been in terms of length of connection time and not speed. Even then, the improvements of time barely amount to squat. We're talking in terms of improving by 10-20 MB over the course of leaving on my computer for a whole day. Whoop-dee-doo.

I'm not willing to concede defeat yet, as I'm stuck with Clearwire for another 10 months or so. But the answer will have to come from something other than Utorrent.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble