The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2010-12-31, 05:43 PM
see my spam-filled profil
85.82 GB/2.37 GB/0.03

Re: Convert to SHN?

YES, go with the FLAC, kids! Very much more actively-supported.. and the F stands for FREE as in freedom from proprietary madness, a la Linux and BSD which is where you'll find yourself after studying computers for decades.
An interesting sidenote-- I discovered, buried in the manual for one of my cheap-o Sylvania mp3players that I'd grabbed at BigLots, that it plays .ape files! Lossless compression support, completely unadvertised! So I went and got the required wares (pretty much only for Winbloze, but I dualboot anyways, and from Linux run the commandline version from scripts utilising "wine".)
... the most recent update to the sw is dated, but it works great and get this.... THE BEST compression of any lossless format! Maybe you dont think its a big deal, but it all adds up-- especially on a cheesy 4G player. Transcoded fast, too-- faster than flac I think. Doubt the support for scanning around in the file while playing on computer is there, though.. havent tested it much yet.

ps my impression was always that SHN originated from the Mac world. (Maybe back in the 680x0 days??) The main thing for me is.. .flac can get dragged directly into k3b (the top-notch linux burning program) and on-the-fly crank out your discs at top speed.. no creating wav files on your poor, overworked HD (which if its like mine is nearly full anyway!) No .shn plugin for k3b. There's one for Nero, but it's way, way slower than the .flac one!

Happy NYE

Last edited by cooltheglobe; 2010-12-31 at 05:47 PM. Reason: forgot to bash SHN and note the on-the-fly advantage of FLAC
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-01-09, 11:05 AM
3.75 GB/519.15 GB/138.36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltheglobe View Post
my impression was always that SHN originated from the Mac world.
Wrong. Shorten was initially UNIX and DOS.
Old 2011-01-09, 11:12 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG1Tapes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew101 View Post
I know Fuck and he prefers FLAC also!
haha. Point taken....but why is FLAC so much better?

because it results in smaller files which will keep your pathetic ratio from getting quite as bad as it will if you keep downloading SHN files?
Old 2011-01-10, 11:06 PM
67.92 GB/18.51 GB/0.27

please go with the shn format. insist on trading shows in the shn by using these reclics. only you can make it happen. bring back old school.

Old 2011-01-11, 10:10 PM
491.13 GB/783.96 GB/1.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinajoe View Post

This is where I got my start with technology. What a piece of shit ! I think it's still hiding in the garage somewhere.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble