The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-04-02, 07:20 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: burning ntsc & pal on same dvd?

http://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?...or+List+Guides

check some of the guides listed in the link above
Old 2006-04-04, 04:22 PM
1.61 TB/2.47 TB/1.53

Re: Syncing audio to video

I was able to sync up the video in the beining or end but it goes out of sync at the other end by less than a beat
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-04-04, 06:07 PM
959.59 GB/1.57 TB/1.68

Re: Syncing audio to video

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigebear
I was able to sync up the video in the beginning or end but it goes out of sync at the other end by less than a beat
Seems like either:
Your video was transferred with some dropped frames or
Your audio is off-speed, which can happen on purpose, or because of variations in recording/replay speeds. Recordings from a hard disc recorder or mini-disc aren't very susceptible to this but cassettes, DAT and video sources are.

I've been lucky sometimes that I've been able to have one long audio file and one long video file, and then simply grabbed the tail end of one, digitally speaking, and stretching it to fit. I've found that stretching out video results in some weird artifacting, so if it's only a quarter-beat difference, I'm better off time-shortening the audio track just a hair. Synch up at the beginning and push/pull the track at the end.

Good luck, it's trial and error. Or if your problem is dropped frames, try re-doing your video transfer if possible.
Old 2006-04-10, 08:48 AM
670.09 GB/1.10 TB/1.67

Need Help With Sony Vegas

I know there are a lot of threads already on this subject, and I've searched and read quite a few of them, but I still have a few questions on Sony Vegas 6 for synching audio with video. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a great show I just recorded digitally using a mini-DV camcorder. I also have the flac audio files for the show from an audio taper. My question is this: Do I decompress the flac files and import the WAV files? By doing this, I would be importing multiple tracks, since the audio is already split up. Is this how folks normally do this, or is it better to import one big WAV file that isnt split up?

I know I will have to synch the audio with the video, so my question is, if there are multiple audio tracks, and I move one to line it up with the video, do all the other audio tracks move with it? I assume they would if they were all selected, but again, Im not familiar with this program and just wondered how people normally do this.

I am going out to buy a book on Vegas to read, and plan on spending quite a bit of time using this project to learn the program. Does anyone have any suggestions on a book, besides the manual, thats a good research tool for a novice?

Thanks so much for any input on these topics!
Old 2006-04-10, 09:31 AM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

Re: Need Help With Sony Vegas

It doesn't matter if it's one track or separate tracks. You will input the video with its audio and then all the audio tracks onto a timeline. You will then use the camera audio as a reference to line up your new audio tracks. They should flow from one to the next assuming the recording has no breaks in it. I would suggest making your synch point in the middle of the film. You're gonna find out that if the video and the audio were digital sourced they will synch up perfectly. Vegas will snap the end and begining of your new audio to make it continuous. You want to decompress the flac to wav first. Vegas won't recognize the compressed files.
Old 2006-04-10, 09:41 AM
670.09 GB/1.10 TB/1.67

Thanks Saltman, that helps! While we're on this, please allow me to ask a couple more ???'s So after I line up the audio, what happens to the camera audio? Is there a way to turn it off, or do I delete it?

Next, I only have one break in the video, where I had to do a tape change. I assume I will have to re-synch that last patch of video the same way I did the first. My question is, since the audio will not be broken where the video was from the tape change, I guess I will just have a few seconds of blank screen where there's no video? I hope that makes sense.
Old 2006-04-10, 11:55 AM
stupid monkey
693.59 GB/1.07 TB/1.58

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtfloorcracker
Thanks Saltman, that helps! While we're on this, please allow me to ask a couple more ???'s So after I line up the audio, what happens to the camera audio? Is there a way to turn it off, or do I delete it?

Next, I only have one break in the video, where I had to do a tape change. I assume I will have to re-synch that last patch of video the same way I did the first. My question is, since the audio will not be broken where the video was from the tape change, I guess I will just have a few seconds of blank screen where there's no video? I hope that makes sense.

yes you are right...you can mute the camcorder audio and when you render the new audio will be in place of the camcorder..you can put in some pictures in the blank part of your video...better than just blank screens...
Old 2006-04-10, 02:35 PM
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

The mute button is on the left side of the timeline. There will be one for each track. Just mute the cam audio when you render and it will not be present in the new file. Pictures are good for gaps. (think slideshow). It looks good if you change them every 5 seconds or so. So you'll need a few depending on the gap length. I like to time the change with a change in the music.

Another option is to use a place in the video that you can reuse. For instance. You may be able to clip a crowd shot in and blend it where you don't know it came from another place in the video. Unless there is something really identifiable about the shot you can probably repeat the shot and not notice. So the video pans to the crowd show where you gap is. Does that make sense? Yes you would synch the second part just like the first one.

GOOD LUCK. It's really not hard when you get to it. It just takes a lot of words to describe what you can do in two seconds.
Old 2006-04-10, 03:02 PM
PrismatriX
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Thank you Saltman.
I actually had the same question and was going to search the threads and voila...1st page!
Old 2006-04-10, 05:38 PM
1.61 TB/2.47 TB/1.53

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltman
I would suggest making your synch point in the middle of the film. You're gonna find out that if the video and the audio were digital sourced they will synch up perfectly. .
I have a mini dv that I recorded (sony hc96) and audio(multi track 24/96)
I thought everything would sync right up also. but if you sync the start the end is just a little ahead of the audio if i sync the center the begin and end are both slightly off . Is this because of dropped frames
Old 2006-04-10, 05:47 PM
stupid monkey
693.59 GB/1.07 TB/1.58

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigebear
I have a mini dv that I recorded (sony hc96) and audio(multi track 24/96)
I thought everything would sync right up also. but if you sync the start the end is just a little ahead of the audio if i sync the center the begin and end are both slightly off . Is this because of dropped frames

do you have some dropped frames..??..i know eveyone kinda does it different...i alway start right at the begining of the video...i also use seperate audio tracks...track1, track 2 ect..sometimes you do have to stretch or shrink the audio tracks to line them up with the video...but that is how i do it...like i said everyone has their way of doing it...
Old 2006-04-16, 10:42 PM
472.60 GB/420.87 GB/0.89

I need some authoring help please

I have a few Hendrix clips that I'd like to compile onto one DVD. I'm new at burning DVDs and I'm anxious to learn all this stuff.

They are relatively short segments, a few songs each. Four of them are in MPEG format, but one I got in DVD format from a torrent. It was already authored so it's a .VOB file. I would especially like to pair this with one of the MPEGs on a DVD beacause they are from both from B&W euro TV broadcasts the same week, 5-11-67 & 5-18-67. 5-18-67 is the .VOB file.

As far as actual authoring, menu creating, etc. I've only used Roxio DVD Creator. I use Nero to burn DVDs that are already formatted. When I added this .VOB file to the DVD in Roxio, it told me if I edited it the audio would be lost, and I didn't worry because I didn't plan to edit the clip. But on the DVD I burned there is no audio on that clip. I got something called TMPGE studio for authoring, but that wouldn't let me add the .VOB.

Could I possibly resolve the sound thing by converting the .VOB to an MPEG and then re-formatting it in Roxio along with the rest of the MPEGs? If so what program could I use to convert it? Or is there an easier way? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 2006-04-20, 08:26 AM
670.09 GB/1.10 TB/1.67

Capturing Mini DV Using Vegas 6?

I have a show I recorded on a Mini DV camcorder that I want to capture using Vegas 6 and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers.

I will be using a firewire DV cord from the camera to the built-in firewire port on my computer. My video is about an hour and twenty minutes. How much free space do I need on my HD for this? I have an 80GB HD, with about 60GB free. Is that enough? I have a book on Vegas 6 that Im reading, but I like to also get feedback from folks here with experience.

I read in the book that Vegas compresses the video to make the size smaller. What settings/preferences should I use to maintain the highest video quality?

Are there any other issues I should be aware of? I have read about people having problems with dropped frames. Hopefully I wont have that problem as I have a pretty powerful computer and will be capturing to the internal HD. I have never done this, but I think I have everything else in place to get started.

Thanks in advance for any help with these issues...
Old 2006-04-20, 08:52 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: Capturing Mini DV Using Vegas 6?

60GB should be fine for 1.5hr of footage...on average, one hour of raw video will be ~12 gigs

Vegas shouldn't be compressing the footage on capture... maybe their talking about its compression codecs when exporting for authoring?

i capture to .dv, which is a "raw" video format...you'll adjust the preferences to the format you recorded in [i.e. NTSC 4:3, etc]...

--you can also set the "clip size" and limit it to capture 10 min clips, or 30min, or unlimited--for a live show i usually set it to unlimited just to make sync easier...
--disabling the "video preview while capturing" can help alleviate dropped frames, glitches, etc.
--having a decent amount of RAM is important...i'm guessing Vegas is like FCP--a minimum of 1GB, but 2+ is even better
--and of course, its best to not have other progs/processes running in the background while capturing
Old 2006-04-20, 09:30 AM
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

Re: Capturing Mini DV Using Vegas 6?

When in Capture menu. Go to options and disable Scene Detection. This will allow for one continuous capture. Vegas is gonna capture one 12GB .avi as noted above pre hour roughly. When you render you will create another 3.5 GB file plus 1 GB for PCM audio Then you will need another 5 GB per DVD5 or 9 GB per DVD9 for the authored DVD. SO you will need roughly 12GB(capture), 1GB(new audio), 4.5Gb(rendered files), 5GB(authored DVD). Which is about 20GB per DVD.

AS far as capturing.... Just plugin your cam (it will need to be in VCR mode)and Vegas will popup the capture menu. Then select capture all from beginning of tape.

Good luck... You're gonna use DVD ARchitect to author the DVD. Capturing is half the fun.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble