The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-01-11, 02:51 PM
171.39 MB/156.17 MB/0.91

What Would You Have Done If ..

Just curious what you guys would have done in a case like this ...

I made a trade a while back and revieved about 5 or 6 Dvd's. Upon trying to copy these Dvd's the process was terminated because of "disc error"
I informed the other trader and he was more than willing to ship a new batch which he did. However again, the same story ... "disc errors"
I tried everything to no avail ... different burning software .. disc repair/retrieval software ect ect ect. It just seems that his method of burning caused major disc errors. Even when playing these discs on my computer or dvd player it pauses at what seems to be bad sectors on the disc, then skips to the next uncorrupted sector.

Anyway being relatively new to the trader world, I did not want to cause problems so I never complained about the 2'nd bad batch. So, I am just curious how some of you more experienced traders would have handled a situation like this?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-01-11, 02:58 PM
Utterly Bastard Groovy
75.55 GB/92.04 GB/1.22

Re: What Would You Have Done If ..

Leave it and don't trade with him/her again. These things happen. Cut your losses and move on.
Old 2008-01-11, 03:08 PM
171.39 MB/156.17 MB/0.91

Thats the route I have taken. Just curious if most traders would of also.
Old 2008-01-11, 03:14 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

Could be your DVD player is bad and it's not in his end. What brand of media are the discs?
Old 2008-01-11, 03:22 PM
171.39 MB/156.17 MB/0.91

They are on TDK discs. I tried different computers - different Dvd players - same results. Its definitly the discs.
Old 2008-01-11, 03:33 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Someone mentioned an application they used to extract some vobs that were bad. Let me see if I can find the post.

If I were you, I would not ask him to do it again, I'd just live with it. I would let him/her know that you are still having problems with the discs but that you consider his/her end of the deal to be done with.

edit: The software I was thinking of is called CDCheck: http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/cd-recovery.html It might be worth a try (although since they won't play in your DVD player, I'm not sure it will help out much, but who knows).

Old 2008-01-11, 03:42 PM
1.12 TB/1.19 TB/1.06

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
Someone mentioned an application they used to extract some vobs that were bad. Let me see if I can find the post.

If I were you, I would not ask him to do it again, I'd just live with it. I would let him/her know that you are still having problems with the discs but that you consider his/her end of the deal to be done with.

edit: The software I was thinking of is called CDCheck: http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/cd-recovery.html It might be worth a try (although since they won't play in your DVD player, I'm not sure it will help out much, but who knows).
I once used CDRoller and it worked:

http://www.cdroller.com/

I had burned data (video files, avi and mpeg) on a DVD-R and it became corrupt.

I was able to retrieve the data with this appication. The site shows it has a trial version.

Text file of over 1500 DVDs:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxX3...Q2M/edit?pli=1

Trading status: Canada and USA only-please VERIFY all discs.

http://db.etree.org/public_wantlist....erid=tgunn2760
Old 2008-01-14, 09:41 AM
171.39 MB/156.17 MB/0.91

Hey guys! GOOD NEWS!!!

I was telling a good buddy of mine about this & he said he had acccess to some "professional" recording equipment. Well I gave him my bad discs and yesterday he brought back 5 freshly made discs! They play fine in all my Dvd players and they copy and record just fine!!! He tells me that he had to call in some "favors" that I owe him one. lol Apparently he was told that no commercially available software or home pc would have ever been able to copy them as they were laced with major sector errors.

At any rate I'm happy I finally got this resloved. Thanks for all the tips and ideas!

Cheers & Happy Trading!!!
Kevin

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble