The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-02-07, 09:56 PM
The Music Guru!
27.05 GB/110.53 GB/4.09

Re: Trader's Little Helper

Thanks for your continued diligent work on this project. I can't tell you how many times its saved my ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-02-10, 11:46 AM
346.15 GB/133.31 GB/0.39

Thumbs up Re: Trader's Little Helper

This is great. Thank you. I have been trying to get mkw to install on vista for a month. This works so smooth. Thank you.
Old 2008-02-15, 01:03 AM
632.06 GB/583.90 GB/0.92

first of all thanks for such a great program! and second forgive me if this has been brought up. I scanned the last few pages and saw nothing about it.

with the last two versions I've noticed a few things. well one in particular. when you click on a md5 or ffp it opens TLH but the option to verify doesn't come up (grayed out). I know you can open TLH and load the file to verify but it's much easier and it's a habit to just click on the md5 or ffp.

one faster way I've gotten around opening and pointing it to the checksum is when I click on the md5/ffp I hit "create checksum" since verify is grayed out. that way I'm in the folder already. then I change to verify and again I'm in the correct folder. this works but is far from perfect and clicking the file should give the option to verify as it did in older versions and as it does (automaticaly) in mkwact etc.
Old 2008-02-15, 02:31 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by datdork View Post
with the last two versions I've noticed a few things. well one in particular. when you click on a md5 or ffp it opens TLH but the option to verify doesn't come up (grayed out). I know you can open TLH and load the file to verify but it's much easier and it's a habit to just click on the md5 or ffp.

one faster way I've gotten around opening and pointing it to the checksum is when I click on the md5/ffp I hit "create checksum" since verify is grayed out. that way I'm in the folder already. then I change to verify and again I'm in the correct folder. this works but is far from perfect and clicking the file should give the option to verify as it did in older versions and as it does (automaticaly) in mkwact etc.
What nonsense, the way TLH handles loading a checksum file wasn't changed at all! Newer releases work the same way older ones do: If you double-click on a checksum file TLH will be opened with that file ready to verify. There was/is no option you have to choose, even if you select multiple checksum files and use the files context menu to add them to TLH.

This all works on the condition that during setup you have chosen the option to integrate TLH into Windows Explorer so supported checksum file extensions are associated with TLH. If you didn't have done that or if some other programs has overwritten the registry settings you may restore the settings via Options > Restore shell integration.

FYI: If you set the option Start verifying automatically after adding files on the Verify checksum files page in the Preferences dialog TLH automatically will start verifying the file(s) loaded as it does in mkwACT.

Robert
Old 2008-02-15, 12:45 PM
632.06 GB/583.90 GB/0.92

Quote:
Originally Posted by roann View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by datdork View Post

What nonsense, the way TLH handles loading a checksum file wasn't changed at all! Newer releases work the same way older ones do: If you double-click on a checksum file TLH will be opened with that file ready to verify. There was/is no option you have to choose, even if you select multiple checksum files and use the files context menu to add them to TLH.

This all works on the condition that during setup you have chosen the option to integrate TLH into Windows Explorer so supported checksum file extensions are associated with TLH. If you didn't have done that or if some other programs has overwritten the registry settings you may restore the settings via Options > Restore shell integration.

FYI: If you set the option Start verifying automatically after adding files on the Verify checksum files page in the Preferences dialog TLH automatically will start verifying the file(s) loaded as it does in mkwACT.

Robert

not nonsense this is what was happening to me with the last two versions! I didn't un check anything upon install either. I tried every thing I could think of under options including the "restore shell integration" but it was grayed out as well. so I uninstalled and reinstalled making sure the explorer box was checked and it's fine now. did that a couple times before with the same results as above but it worked this time.
Old 2008-02-21, 09:16 PM
6.56 GB/31.69 GB/4.83

I'm having trouble verifying files I just created with TLH. Here's the process:
Shn - st5 generated > flac -st5 generated & matched to shn ft5 > fixed sbe errors - fixed flac created - fixed st5 generated > files tagged. When attempting to verify, the error message "these files can not be opened or do not exist" is generated. I generated an ffp and attempted to verify and got the same message. TLH has no problem decoding the files back to wav without error. This has happened a couple of times before and I deleted the flac st5 and generated another one and all was well. Not this time. Is there any way to avoid decoding back to wav and recreating the flac files. I really don't want to have to tag the files again.
Old 2008-02-22, 02:10 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Question Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by germain View Post
I'm having trouble verifying files I just created with TLH. Here's the process:
Shn - st5 generated > flac -st5 generated & matched to shn ft5 > fixed sbe errors - fixed flac created - fixed st5 generated > files tagged. When attempting to verify, the error message "these files can not be opened or do not exist" is generated. I generated an ffp and attempted to verify and got the same message. TLH has no problem decoding the files back to wav without error. This has happened a couple of times before and I deleted the flac st5 and generated another one and all was well. Not this time.
... You have to save a checksum file to the folder that was chosen as root folder in TLH, of course. Assuming you did that here are a couple of questions:

1) shn, .st5 generated: can the shn .st5 file be verified?
2) shn > flac, .st5 generated: can the flac .st5 be verified?
3) Maybe it's just a misunderstanding but what's this "fixed sbe errors - fixed flac created"? Fixing SBEs does already create fixed files.
4) SBEs fixed, no tagging, .st5 generated: can the fixed flac .st5 be verified?
5) Do the tagged files have the same names as before tagging?

Quote:
Is there any way to avoid decoding back to wav and recreating the flac files. I really don't want to have to tag the files again.
So shn > wav > flac > fix SBEs > create .st5 > tag > verify .st5 works???

Robert
Old 2008-02-22, 07:49 PM
6.56 GB/31.69 GB/4.83

Robert,
I think you've hit upon a thing or two.

When I get the shn files, I verify with the md5s they are packaged with and then create the shn st5s. Generally, I don't verify the shn st5s.

I then use the convert format function to convert to flac and generate a flac st5 which i match to the shn st5s. I don' verify the flac st5s until after I tag the files.

This particular show had sbe errors which I ran through the fix sbe errors process, which of course created new flac files. I then created a new st5.

As I began to tag the files, I noticed the tracking was not in the correct sequence. I had to go in a rename most files to get them in the correct order. (They have names like d2t07) I ran a new st5 afterwards. The checksums stayed the same, just the order was altered.

After I finished tagging I attempted to verify the latest st5 with no success. I deleted that st5 and created a new one. There was no change in checksums and the verification again failed to be able to open the files.

I hope this helps.

Germain
Old 2008-02-22, 10:39 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Question Re: Trader's Little Helper

Germain, you didn't answer my questions, unfortunately. So I still don't know where to start. Here is what I need to know ...

Quote:
When I get the shn files, I verify with the md5s they are packaged with and then create the shn st5s. Generally, I don't verify the shn st5s.
Can those st5 checksums of the shn file set be verified?

Quote:
I then use the convert format function to convert to flac and generate a flac st5 which i match to the shn st5s. I don' verify the flac st5s until after I tag the files.
Can those st5 checksums of the flac file set be verified?

Quote:
This particular show had sbe errors which I ran through the fix sbe errors process, which of course created new flac files. I then created a new st5.
Can those st5 checksums of the fixed flac file set be verified?

Quote:
As I began to tag the files, I noticed the tracking was not in the correct sequence. I had to go in a rename most files to get them in the correct order. (They have names like d2t07) I ran a new st5 afterwards. The checksums stayed the same, just the order was altered.
Can those st5 checksums of the fixed and renamed flac file set be verified?

Quote:
After I finished tagging I attempted to verify the latest st5 with no success. I deleted that st5 and created a new one. There was no change in checksums and the verification again failed to be able to open the files.
Did you save the checksum file to that folder that was the root folder when creating the checksums?

Only if all answers are "yes": What do you use for tagging? Could you upload the shortest tagged file (Rapidshare, for example) or send it via email?

Robert
Old 2008-02-23, 06:44 AM
6.56 GB/31.69 GB/4.83

Robert,
Thanks for your reply.

-I went back and unzipped the shn files and placed them into a separate folder. Within that folder are the shn files, the md5 file, a txt file and the original zip folder.
-Next, I verified with the md5s packaged with the files. No problem.
-I then created an st5 and saved it to the folder with the shn files. I used the "create checksum" tab, browsed to the correct folder and opened it, selected shn as the file type, selceted "select all", then "add"-"OK" and selected "create". The checksums were successfully created.
-I tried to verify the st5s, but TLH gave the error message "files could not be opened or do not exist".

I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to when you asked, "Did you save the checksum file to that folder that was the root folder when creating the checksums?". The actual folder I created is buried deep within the file structure of my HD, but the st5 file is contained within the same folder as the shn files.

I hope this answers your questions.
Thanks for your help.

Germain
Old 2008-02-23, 07:27 AM
6.56 GB/31.69 GB/4.83

Just a quick note.
I began working on the next show on my list.
-Copied folder to HD, unzipped, md5 verification on shn files ok, created st5 & saved to same folder, attempt to verify unsuccessful (same error message).
-Used test function. Files are to be decoded without error.
-Converted to flac. no problem.
-created both st5, then md5 for flac files. Neither could be verified. Same error message.
Old 2008-02-23, 09:43 AM
6.56 GB/31.69 GB/4.83

Robert,

I think I've figured this out.

When creating the checksums, I sometimes have been using the "Add" button rather than the "Browse" button to navigate to the correct folder.

Here is a checksum created when using the "Add" button:
05db16b4382dbcb214e3d3bdf114f82f [shntool]
gd72-10-17\gd72-10-17d1t01.shn

Here is the checksum when using the "Browse" button:
05db16b4382dbcb214e3d3bdf114f82f [shntool] gd72-10-17d1t01.shn

Notice the extra [gd72-10-17] generated when using the add button.
The st5 created using the "Browse" button is allowing verification, while the st5 using the "add" is not.

I have been able to use the "add" button because under Options> preferences> directories, I have set my primary "Grateful Dead" folder as the directory to add files to. When I click "add" all the folders within the primary GD are shown for me to choose from. If I click "Browse" the directory of my entire computer is shown with the primary GD folder highlighted.

Germain
Old 2008-02-23, 10:20 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Arrow Re: Trader's Little Helper

@germain:

Checksum files only make sense if they can be used on other drives or machines too. So they need to be as independent as possible from the local folder structure they will be created on. That's why there is a root folder involved: All file paths in the checksum file will be listed against that root folder so you don't need to know what folder structure is above the root folder. Consequence: Only files located in the root folder and its subdirectories can be added to a checksum file.

Example:

The given folder structure is G:\music\lossless\Iron Maiden\2003-06-28 Stockholm, Sweden\IM2003-28-06.flac16 with two subdirectories of IM2003-28-06.flac16 called disc1 and disc2.

If you choose IM2003-28-06.flac16 as root folder, all files located in IM2003-28-06.flac16 and its subdirectories may be added to a checksum file. In the checksum file files will be listed as follows:

info.txt
front.jpg
back.jpg
disc1\track01.flac
disc2\track05.flac

If you choose Iron Maiden as root folder instead, all files located in Iron Maiden and its subdirectories may be added to a checksum file. In the checksum file files will be listed as follows:

2003-06-28 Stockholm, Sweden\IM2003-28-06.flac16\info.txt
2003-06-28 Stockholm, Sweden\IM2003-28-06.flac16\front.jpg
2003-06-28 Stockholm, Sweden\IM2003-28-06.flac16\back.jpg
2003-06-28 Stockholm, Sweden\IM2003-28-06.flac16\disc1\track01.flac
2003-06-28 Stockholm, Sweden\IM2003-28-06.flac16\disc2\track05.flac

So, how to work with TLH? First select the appropriate root folder. Then use the Add button to add the files to create checksums for. Note that when at least one file is added you cannot change the root anymore. So you cannot add a file located above the root. Then create the checksums. At last always save the checksum file to the root folder if you want to use it for verification.

Robert
Old 2008-02-24, 06:53 AM
6.56 GB/31.69 GB/4.83

Robert,

After reading your reply a few times, the light bulb is at least burning, if not brightly. At least I know how to avoid making the error in the future. After a thorough check of the shows I've processed in the past couple of months, my ability to select the wrong root folder appears to have begun in early to mid January. Likely this corresponds to most recent TLH build that I installed..

Thanks for your input and all the work you do.

Germain
Old 2008-02-26, 11:12 AM
598.12 GB/483.62 GB/0.81

Thumbs up Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by roann View Post
All these decoding / encoding / fixing / testing / checksumming programs, for every file type and task another one, plus those annoying command line parameters ... So I wrote a Windows tool/frontend I called Trader's Little Helper. It was not written to be the perfect "all in one wonder" but to handle the most important tasks.

Development isn't finished yet (version 0.8.0), but there are a lot of things this tool already has to offer:

- verify & create checksum files (md5 signature, flac fp, md5 fp)
- test flac and ape files
- decode ape, flac, shn files
- list file details (looking for sector boundary errors)

Features to come in the next versions:
- encode wav files to ape, flac, shn
- fix sector boundary errors
- integration via context menu in windows explorer
- drag & drop functionality
- ???

It would be perfect if Trader's Little Helper could decode mkw files too. Unfortunately I didn't found any information about this file format, and the author of mkw/mkwACT can't be contacted (mkwACT homepage is down, email address doesn't work any more). So if you have any information about mkw, please contact me.

I've decided to make my prog public. You can download it here:

http://thor.prohosting.com/roh0205

Any feedback is appreciated! If there are some good icons out there (for the application itself or those md5, ffp, st5 checksum files) please let me know.

Robert
Hi Robert,
I wonder how hard it would be to make a linux version of your program or are you eventually looking to sell it. Of course you could sell a linux version as Nero and others do. If it was opensource those hackers on linux would add to it making it even better. I'm using it fine on linux myself through a program called Wine which will allow one to use some windows programs. Yours is one of them and for that I am glad, however there are a lot of linux users that won't use wine. Their loss. Thanks for your program. It works great for me on linux. Better than on windows!
John

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
tlh, traders little helper