The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2006-10-07, 01:25 PM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

There's got to be a better way -- Inactive torrents

Hi, I have something that has bothered me for a while. I understand that it is desirable for TTD to make torrents inactive, but I think there has to be a better way. I'm imagining a system where the torrent can be "revived" simply by having a user reseed it without having to recreate another torrent file, md5's, thread, and all of that. I would like to reseed this kdtu auburn show (which kicks ass!), but I'm not going to since I don't want to go through all of that trouble. I just wish I could click on the inactive torrent, reactivate it, download the torrent file and start seeding. Certainly there is enough space on the server to store the torrent files (I'm assuming that this is so, since there is enough space for you to post naked pics every week )
Thoughts?

"If your share ratio is less than 1.0, then please offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community" ~Chachi
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-10-07, 04:27 PM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

Re: There's got to be a better way -- Inactive torrents

D'oh! sorry...I'll work on burning you some stuff tomorrow...I PROMISE!! On another topic, Did you see that Al Di Meola is playing this tue Oct 10th?
http://www.jambase.com/search.asp?ba...mdate=&todate=

"If your share ratio is less than 1.0, then please offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community" ~Chachi
Old 2006-10-07, 04:59 PM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

I would make it, but a client is coming in that night that is worth $50 million to my company. I have to entertain and take some of them out to the Brazilian steakhouse, then we've booked a bluegrass band for a private show for ~40 people (Kickin Grass? I've never heard of them)

Old 2006-10-07, 05:19 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

If you have all the files on your computer, what is it that makes it difficult to reseed? (Just make the torrent, copy all the info from the other thread to the new one, and viola?)

Shows get put into Inactive after they have had no seed for three weeks in a row. At that point, they go onto a list for the Mods and are removed. One thing we don't want to have is a bunch of shows in the Downloads forum that have been inactive for weeks or months and then have a leecher get on and expect to be able to download the show.

I guess if I understood the problem (I have a feeling I'm not 'getting' it) then we could probably work on a solution to it.

Old 2006-10-07, 05:50 PM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
If you have all the files on your computer, what is it that makes it difficult to reseed? (Just make the torrent, copy all the info from the other thread to the new one, and viola?)

Shows get put into Inactive after they have had no seed for three weeks in a row. At that point, they go onto a list for the Mods and are removed. One thing we don't want to have is a bunch of shows in the Downloads forum that have been inactive for weeks or months and then have a leecher get on and expect to be able to download the show.

I guess if I understood the problem (I have a feeling I'm not 'getting' it) then we could probably work on a solution to it.
well, I guess I don't understand why there is a problem with a torrent that is inactive for 3 weeks why it matters or not if a leecher trys to download it. A lot of times, someone will jump on to reseed it. If noone jumps on, then the leecher will just move on after a few days of noone hoping on to help out. I just thought it takes extra time to recreate the torrent file and then start a new thread.

Old 2006-10-08, 10:41 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Actually, alot of times someone will *not* jump on to help seed an old show. When the torrent doesn't have a seeder for three weeks, it gets put on a list (I already mentioned that). Very often, there is a person or two waiting to download the show. We usually leave those shows on the tracker in the hopes that that person will get a seed. Right now thought, there are about 7 or 8 shows sitting on that list that have been waiting for a seed ever since they first showed up on that list. All of them have a % completed already, except one (that has two leechers, both at 0%). I honestly don't think they are ever going to get a seeder after all this time.

I don't know, maybe another way to do it is to move the show to Inactive (and not remove the torrent, but put a note at the top of the thread when they open it that says the show has not had a seeder in three weeks and they may never complete the show) and then if the show gets a seeder, it gets moved back to active?

I've been to sites than never put shows into Inactive and so if you go looking through the pages of torrents, you see a ton of shows with 0 seeds and 0 leechers and it looks like the tracker is dead. We like to have Active Shows in ABT/VBT that people are likely to be able to complete.

Old 2006-10-08, 10:49 AM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

Quote:

I don't know, maybe another way to do it is to move the show to Inactive (and not remove the torrent, but put a note at the top of the thread when they open it that says the show has not had a seeder in three weeks and they may never complete the show) and then if the show gets a seeder, it gets moved back to active?
I like this idea a lot...maybe there is a script or code that can automatically move the thread to inactive after 3 weeks of no seeder, while still not deleting the torrent or locking the thread. Then whenever a seeder does hop on, it automatically moves it back to active. And if the torrent file is never deleted, it makes it easier for people to open up a seed again.

Old 2006-10-08, 10:52 AM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi420
I would make it, but a client is coming in that night that is worth $50 million to my company. I have to entertain and take some of them out to the Brazilian steakhouse, then we've booked a bluegrass band for a private show for ~40 people (Kickin Grass? I've never heard of them)
Is it Brasa Brazilian Steakhouse in Brier Creek? That place is good you're gonna dig it. Kickin' Grass is a local band.. They are also good. They play around here all the time. That's gonna be a pretty cool outing.
Old 2006-10-08, 10:57 AM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltman
Is it Brasa Brazilian Steakhouse in Brier Creek? That place is good you're gonna dig it. Kickin' Grass is a local band.. They are also good. They play around here all the time. That's gonna be a pretty cool outing.
it's Rio Churrascaria mmmm...good

Old 2006-10-08, 11:02 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I'm gonna move this to Site Suggestions.

I think I mentioned earlier that I've been spending time recoding the site for an upgrade. I think this would be a pretty easy cron job to write. However, it's gonna have to wait until I get the tracker integration recoded and then get around to updating the main site to the new vB release.

Old 2006-10-08, 11:04 AM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

Quote:
I'm gonna move this to Site Suggestions.

I think I mentioned earlier that I've been spending time recoding the site for an upgrade. I think this would be a pretty easy cron job to write. However, it's gonna have to wait until I get the tracker integration recoded and then get around to updating the main site to the new vB release.
you rock Lynne! I think that this method will please everyone

Old 2006-10-08, 11:22 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi420
well, I guess I don't understand why there is a problem with a torrent that is inactive for 3 weeks why it matters or not if a leecher trys to download it. .
I think 3 weeks is too short. Should be more like 56 days or so... IMHO
Old 2006-10-10, 10:23 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

I agree... also, you get a lot more interest in a reseed by copying the info and re-launching the torrent in a new thread. BT is at its best when seeders are uploading to multiple ppl, and when shows get very old it is often one seeder uploading to one or two ppl only, then if the lone seeder jumps then those ppl who had a very slow download to begin with are stranded. Its like being on the highway in a big traffic jam, moving forward 5 feet every 10 minutes (which everybody hates).

It is also very depressing for me looking at a site like this with 90% of the shows having three or less people and/or no seeds.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2006-10-10, 10:35 PM
We all walk the Long Road....
75.63 GB/483.42 GB/6.39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
I agree... also, you get a lot more interest in a reseed by copying the info and re-launching the torrent in a new thread. BT is at its best when seeders are uploading to multiple ppl, and when shows get very old it is often one seeder uploading to one or two ppl only, then if the lone seeder jumps then those ppl who had a very slow download to begin with are stranded. Its like being on the highway in a big traffic jam, moving forward 5 feet every 10 minutes (which everybody hates).

It is also very depressing for me looking at a site like this with 90% of the shows having three or less people and/or no seeds.
its really not hard to understand where this came from when you consider the source of who started the thread
Old 2006-10-11, 06:58 AM
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99

Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpermaLopez
Sorry, I'm still a n00b.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions