The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-11-06, 03:35 AM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Digital FM?

Oukki doukki.
Damnation! My bad. My digibox is using MPEG/MusiCam Layer I & II (MPEG-2?) codec. And YLE is possibly using for MPEG-2 codec. Which makes it a lossy source.

So I'll turn myself in and suggest M.I.A. 2007-08-24 Seine en Rock 2007 to be pulled because of being lossy.

Yeah. Have fun.

Last edited by xcv111; 2007-11-06 at 03:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-11-06, 11:54 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

What's the bitrate of the IBOC codec, and how lossy is it? Can it be recorded digitally or do they encrypt the signal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcv111
Thanks for some extra information concerning them blessed 100 digital cities etc. Much appreciated.
Those cities are truly blessed. Now they'll get to hear "More Than a Feeling" seven times a day, only this time in mid or high quality lossy digital.
Old 2007-11-07, 01:28 AM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubular
Those cities are truly blessed. Now they'll get to hear "More Than a Feeling" seven times a day, only this time in mid or high quality lossy digital.
Right. And thank you for the information that those channels are lossy too.
Old 2007-11-07, 02:50 AM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
when I was a kid we had our cable split and plugged into the radio back in the 70s and you could get tons of stations really before they invented mp3. we're willing to consider stuff taped using television cable>fm antennae but even that I'm not certain about at this time (I don't have cable at home). stick with the open air analog broadcasts, we're giving carte blanche on those.
In my household there are two cable sockets on the wall. One is for television broadcasts (digital) and one is for radio broadcasts (analog). I've plugged my conventional analog tuner into the analog socket for the radio broadcasts. And according to Finnish Broadcast Company (YLE) there are no plans to go for a digital radio signal feed - at least not in the near future. This information I got phoning to Finnish Broadcast Company's (YLE) customer service.

I'm not at all into lossy formats (mp3 etc.) and that's exactly the reason why I've joined TTD and other sites which are into lossless media. And I've definitely no intentions what so ever to seed these kinds of recordings anywhere. The M.I.A. case was pure, stupid accident, because I didn't know anything about - stupid me - digibox radio signal feed. Yes. I ought have made some research before I recorded a radio broadcast using digibox and even seeding it further.

Now I'm an unhappy owner of the fantastic gig which is lossy. Depressing. My bad. Sorry.

Well. Live and learn...

Last edited by xcv111; 2007-11-07 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Typo. Once again...
Old 2007-11-07, 05:13 AM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

And one more thing I forgot to mention. According the information the YLE technical support fellow told me, the analog radio cable feed is same as the aerial radio feed - not lossy.

Sorry if this "lossy not lossy" conversation is at wrong(?) forum, but I felt it's logical to continue this conversation here, since it popped up as one of the main themes I started at this forum.
Old 2007-11-07, 10:05 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Sorry if this "lossy not lossy" conversation is at wrong(?) forum, but I felt it's logical to continue this conversation here, since it popped up as one of the main themes I started at this forum.
If we thought it was in the wrong forum, we'd just move it to the correct one. However, Technobabble is all about learning, so I think this is the right forum for us to be discussing this.

Old 2007-11-07, 10:10 AM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
If we thought it was in the wrong forum, we'd just move it to the correct one. However, Technobabble is all about learning, so I think this is the right forum for us to be discussing this.
OK. Thanks for this info.
Old 2007-11-07, 03:01 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
In my household there are two cable sockets on the wall. One is for television broadcasts (digital) and one is for radio broadcasts (analog). I've plugged my conventional analog tuner into the analog socket for the radio broadcasts. And according to Finnish Broadcast Company (YLE) there are no plans to go for a digital radio signal feed - at least not in the near future. This information I got phoning to Finnish Broadcast Company's (YLE) customer service.
sounds great! I remember when my radio was hooked up to the cable for direct analog FM it was awesome. every 5mm or so you move the tuner dial another station comes up crystal-clear. You just need one of those tubular things with the female cable connector on end and two little metal things that get screwed down on an older tv and attatch it to your fm antennae connector on the receiver. they sell those here at the dollar store. (I know you know how to connect it but I'm putting that here for the benefit of anybody else reading this).

I'd love to hear a sample of what you get off that kind of a tap as compared to taping from the open air.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-11-07, 05:13 PM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Yeah. Fine.
Old 2007-11-07, 09:10 PM
77.81 GB/134.92 GB/1.73

Quote:
sorry man but this is just another lossy digital broadcast that gets routinely pulled here. it is not the same as a modern analog bbc broadcast, its worse than atrac, at best about the same as 128kbps mp3
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...559#post722559

we're not gonna have a forum for this kind of stuff, its our niche not to host this kind of stuff. post it at another site.
OK, this was the case of a digital cable radio broadcast. However, I would like to show you a screenshot of a recording from analog cable radio. The spectral view is attached.

Solid activity all the way up through 18 kHz. I can't even hear the compression and the signal is crystal clear. It is completely different from the digital cable radio at broadcast at 128 kbps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cr_sa.JPG
( 109.9 KB, 44 views)

Old 2007-11-07, 09:42 PM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Yeah, thanks.
Old 2007-11-07, 10:36 PM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbLuck
OK, this was the case of a digital cable radio broadcast. However, I would like to show you a screenshot of a recording from analog cable radio. The spectral view is attached.

Solid activity all the way up through 18 kHz. I can't even hear the compression and the signal is crystal clear. It is completely different from the digital cable radio at broadcast at 128 kbps.
OK.
Thank you. I've seen these carrier signals and all that before. Even on the e-v-i-l cable FM carrier signals reach up to about 18000 kHz or what so ever. Actually there are two carrier signals at least. And one of them is around 16000 kHz, quite possibly a bit lower than that and the other is around 18000 KHz.

But these carrier signal questions are easy to figure out: Google or contact your local FM broadcaster. Not a biggie.

About 128 kbps I can't tell a thing, because I'm not used to them - I'm not into lossy stuff. Until now I guess.

Thank you anyway.

Last edited by xcv111; 2007-11-07 at 10:46 PM.
Old 2007-11-08, 11:40 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbLuck

great news!

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-11-08, 06:03 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
great news!
so does that change the "seedability" of any of those samples i sent ya?
Old 2007-11-08, 06:43 PM
xcv111
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
so does that change the "seedability" of any of those samples i sent ya?
I guess not. We are right now talking about an analog FM cable feed. Few posts earlier there was a spectral view showing that the analog FM cable feed is not lossy.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble