The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Home Forums FAQ Register Members List

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-03-11, 09:38 AM
1.27 TB/1.33 TB/1.04

Re: Over an hour to burn a DVD?!?

Enabling DMA seemed to speed it up a little bit, thanks. What is DMA anyway?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-03-11, 10:09 AM
heavy metal madman
333.85 GB/337.83 GB/1.01

Re: dvd troubles

fingers crossed all is well since i upgraded the firmware for the drive , now when ripping a dvd instead of stopping and getting an error message , the drive does still slow right down at the same point but the read rate recovers and continues to the end and the md5's match the original files.

thanks again to everyone who posted a suggestion on this thread.

Old 2005-03-11, 06:15 PM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannis
drive does still slow right down at the same point but the read rate recovers and continues to the end and the md5's match the original files.
Hmm, I would check such disc for PI errors, even md5 is OK (now). Maybe you have a hardware problem as well. Also, if it's PC, please check if your burner has UDMA enabled - see ref.: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/modesUDMA-c.html
Old 2005-03-12, 11:17 AM
BiggieC
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Burning DVD on a Mac

ok sorry if this is somewhere but I have looked all over. I've had this powerbook for a while now and I hardly ever use the dvd burner. I would like to change that. I don't have toast or anything, is there a way I can burn dvds without toast or some other program?

I'd really like to use this burner, thanks.
Old 2005-03-12, 11:34 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Burning DVD on a Mac

You can make a Disk Image of your show and then use Disc Utility to burn the DVD. I've got instructions on how to do that here.

Old 2005-03-12, 01:19 PM
BiggieC
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Burning DVD on a Mac

thanks lynee. looks like I have a new hobby.
Old 2005-03-16, 10:58 AM
386.63 GB/154.99 GB/0.40

nero dvd burning question

I am using nero dvd program to burn with. i am new to this however. Two questions. 1) When i have tried to burn file to dvd movie the picture looks pixalated and jumpy, sound skips and stalls also. i know my source file is good because it plays flawlessly on computer. Does anyone know what settings i should use in nero? I tried burning at 2x and it still did this. 2) The files i downloaded are complete meaning menues ect. How do i get them to burn as a movie without nero making menues for me? If anyone is familiar with nero please help.
Old 2005-03-16, 11:44 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: nero dvd burning question

i'm assuming yer using Nero 6...

1. open the regular Nero Burning Rom from yer program menu.

2. When the window pops up for a new project, select DVD as yer format, and then DVD-Video from the list below it.

3. This should begin you a new DVD project that has a Video_TS folder and a Audio_TS folder

4. Drag all yer .bup/.ifo/.vob files for the DVD to the Video_TS folder. the Audio_TS folder should be ledt empty, but do not delete from project

5. Click burn. You should have a DVD ina few minutes.

Part of the problem might have been that when you were trying to "build" a already "built" DVD, it was re-encoding something that was already encoded...this can cause issues. Also, sometimes (even with high-end video editing) if you have video preview enabled while yer capturing/encoding/etc it can cause both video and audio "glitches"...hope that helps, and i hope i told you right above [i rarely use my PC anymore, and i'm not near it right now to double-check]...good luck
Old 2005-03-17, 11:08 PM
155.68 GB/82.76 GB/0.53

Hey everyone,

I am having a problem too trying to copy a dvd that I made a while back. It's the 7-03-03 show and it is on a Sony DVD+R disk. When it is at 80% analyzing (on nero or dvd decrypter) it says that there is a read error. I thought I remember a while back there was a program that would fix the vob files or just to make sure everything was o.k. on it. What can I do? Thanks everyone!!!!

Ryan
Old 2005-03-18, 04:03 AM
h_vargas
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
I've always heard that Ritek were second class quality. And TDK were pretty darn good. Can you point me to any documentation you know of that I can look at?

My archives are on Verbatim, Fuji, TDK and TY. I figured that was pretty safe...

actually, there's documentation on TDK CDR media ranging from good quality to poor quality, depending on the manufacturer. as i recall, the TDK "Certified Plus" CDRs were supposed to be good. and, for the most part, the majority of the ones i've had for 4+ years are okay. (a few have bitten the dust, with random visible dark spots, and the data at those places is unreadable. and yes, they have been stored properly.) here's a link for your perusal:

http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware...d_tdk_iq.shtml

as far as Verbatim CDRs, i've had mixed results with those, too. the "DataLife Plus" Verbatims i have are still excellent, even after 5+ years. the non-branded Verbatim discs i have are almost all unreadable within that same timespan.

now, i know DVDs and CDRs are different beasts, but if a manufacturer generally made so-so (or poor) quality CDRs, then i don't even bother with their DVDRs... even if they're supposedly "good quality." hence, i don't ever buy Ritek brand DVDRs, even though a lot of people swear by them. of course, a lot of the comments i've read praising the Ritek DVDRs are basically, "burned 200 of them without a single coaster!" even though the following quote was written about CDR media, i think it applies to DVDR media as well:

"Most people think that when they have burned up a spindle and did not get any coaster that the quality of these CD-R's was very good. In fact this is NOT true as this only tells you that the used CD-R's are compatible with your CD-Writer.

Over the years most CD-Writer manufacturers have learned how to make their hardware compatibility with all kinds of CD-R's (even the low budget media!) so it is not strange that less coasters occure [sic]."

[From http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware...quality.shtml]

also...

"Also don't confuse CD-R Compatibility for CD-R Quality as they are two totally different things!"

[From http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware...ml#Conclusion]
Old 2005-03-18, 04:06 AM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Quote:
Originally Posted by titleist017
Hey everyone,

I am having a problem too trying to copy a dvd that I made a while back. It's the 7-03-03 show and it is on a Sony DVD+R disk. When it is at 80% analyzing (on nero or dvd decrypter) it says that there is a read error. I thought I remember a while back there was a program that would fix the vob files or just to make sure everything was o.k. on it. What can I do? Thanks everyone!!!!

Ryan
could be ifoedit it is a very good DVD tool to have as is isobuster

http://www.ifoedit.com/

http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2005-03-18, 10:28 AM
155.68 GB/82.76 GB/0.53

Thanks a lot, I am trying it now. Don't really know what I am doing but It looks like I did the vob extra icon and it is resaving the files to a new folder. We will see if it works.
Old 2005-03-18, 03:11 PM
155.68 GB/82.76 GB/0.53

Nope, it freezes at the vob4 file. It can't read it, and it freezes up. Looks like I am out of luck huh?
Old 2005-03-18, 07:35 PM
h_vargas
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by titleist017
Nope, it freezes at the vob4 file. It can't read it, and it freezes up. Looks like I am out of luck huh?
not necessarily... have you tried the drag & drop (or copy & paste) method to copy the files from the DVD to your hard drive?

also, have you just tried copying in one particular DVD drive? i ask this because sometimes if my DVDROM drive (read, will not burn DVDs) will not read a DVD, or if my DVD burner will not read a DVD, it will almost always be readable in the other drive. in fact, i cannot think of one instance when this wasn't the case - the other drive, in my experience, has always pulled through in the clutch.

of course, this will not be a 100% success rate, but you're trying to salvage data here. if you have another drive capable of reading a DVD, by all means, try copying the DVD to your hard drive with this other reader.

if you don't have another drive, perhaps you have a friend with one that can copy the DVD. it's worth a shot if the DVD isn't easy to come by.

good luck.
Old 2005-03-19, 06:12 AM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Follow up: disc quality

I have always used TDK but recently I had bad luck to buy discs manufactured in India. Never buy this crap! Code: Moser Baer India Limited, MBIPG101R04 (see attached scan for errors). When burned at 6x disc was unreadable
Attached Images
File Type: gif tdkr+8-4-India.gif
( 43.4 KB, 31 views)

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble