The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-08-15, 06:32 AM
483.02 GB/227.14 GB/0.47

ripping .wav from cds to use in sony vegas

hi, i apologise if this has been asked already but hopefully if so someone can help or point me to a thread.

i just did a multicam mix of a rush show with a seperate audio with sony vegas, my first time. all went fine until the authoring. one program (power producer) let me choose audio format but in the end the chapter marks somehow were way off and audio was acting weird when authoring.

then i tried TMPGE dvd author 3 which worked better but i got a popup saying dvd was not up to audio standard it had to be LCPM or whatever its called (i'm new to this and very tired right now) or dolby, and to select it...but when i tried to, i could not. that dvd plays fine in standalones i've tried but not pc's, and i'm thinking its because of the audio format?

now i'm starting work on an older rush that i want to use a seperate audio instead of whats on the dvd. what would you guys do at the early stage of the project with the audio to avoid this issue later on in the author stage? i can't seem to rip it with vegas in anything other than .wav.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-08-15, 09:59 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Re: ripping .wav from cds to use in sony vegas

you'll get a better rip with EAC (exactaudiocopy.de). it double-checks what it reads and gives error reports.

I think the trouble with your video is that it wants 48kHz sample rate--so you'll have to upsample.

I'm not positive what veagas is asking for... maybe a dvd author can help you out better

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2008-08-15, 12:45 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

general process is to take old DVD and copy paste it to your HDD. then demux the resulting vob files to their elementary streams. this will be m2v and either wav (lpcm) or ac3 (dolby). import these files into the timeline in Vegas. use EAC to rip your new audio to your HDD in wav format. input this file into the timeline. align the new audio with the old audio trimming out an xtras to make it exactly the same length. remuliplex the files back to vob. this is the key to avoid double rendering. (once when the original dvd was made, second time when the audio was switched out). or you can use DVD Architect, or authoring program of you choice, to make new menus. just make sure that you have are not reencoding when you author the dvd back to vob.

your problems sound like a software issue. try sony DVD Architect.
Old 2008-08-15, 01:18 PM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

To add: if you author an NTSC DVD audio format has to be LPCM or AC3 (Dolby). MPEG audio aka MP2 is supported by PAL format only. Please take into account that total combined bitrate for both audio and video cannot exceed 9800 kbps. To keep quality audio, i.e. LPCM (1536 kbps) you have to lower max. video bitrate - average at 6500 is well enough for the source you have, higher will only enlarge files but not improve quality, and of course reduce length of the video you can fit into single disc. Use 2 pass for video rendering, if you process avi > mpeg/vob.
Old 2008-08-15, 01:26 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

great thread over here:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=37589

esp post #6

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2008-08-15, 02:24 PM
483.02 GB/227.14 GB/0.47

thank you ALL so much guys!! this is great help as i'm very much new to this video editing stuff! after work tonight i'll be checking out some of the links posted.

thanks again

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble