The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-07-28, 06:24 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: how is this possible?

i'll check some of those links this afternoon, thanks! aight, here's some background on this...might help, might not...

when copying from the disc to my hd to run the specs above [james' post], i only copied the VIDEO_TS folder & not the VIDEO_RM folder...

this was from a VHS > SA recorder transfer over in Holland...no multiple titles, slideshows or audio features--just a straight transfer that clocks in around 26mins or so w/ typical SA menu and random chapter points...it arrived to us on a standard Sony single layer DVD+R

bitrate specs according to MPEGStreamclip:
Quote:
AUDIO -- AC3 2/0, 48 kHz, 256 kbps
VIDEO -- MPEG-2, 704 × 576, 4:3, 25 fps, 9.55 Mbps, upper field first

so that said, on to yer ?s:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh View Post

my swag is it stems from the original DVD-RAM disc..
was it 'closed' for compatibility ?
is the Video_RM folder causing the issue?
is it DVD-RAM / DVD drive transfer issue ?
i have no idea about any of the above...this wasn't transferred by us or the kid who sent it over to us to liberate, so detailed info on the transfer is unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh View Post
my swag is its a transfer issue from the DVD-RAM sector format. interesting that the dvd decrypt gave the correct size & burn..good luck.
Decrypter [iso setting] and reburn caused the disc to appear the normal size of 1.77GB, but the VIDEO_TS folder itself still reported as 5.22GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
1] does this disc play in a standalone?
2] If so, can you determine how much time it thinks it has remaining at the beginning? 3] Does the disc have three different distinct programming choices? (for instance, a main feature, a behind the scenes, some long slide-show set to music, etc) or just the main feature?
1] yes
2] shows the proper 26mins and change as its playing thru...dunno about total disc time reported before actually playing the disc, i'll check this evening
3] nope, just the main title

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpbot5000 View Post
but it would have to be an out of standard DVD, becuase the total bitrate is limited to about 10 Mbps.

So basically 5.22 GB for a 30 minute video that conforms to the DVD standard is impossible, unless there are lots of bonus features w/photos or extra audio without video or something.
Maximum that system may report for a single layer R+ disc is around 4.7 GB, while real size of files that can fit to disc is 4.483 GB.

Not sure for this case but I saw many times that for standalone authored discs some programs report the contents twice, even the files are not physically doubled. However, it doesn't explain why 30 min. or 1.7 GB rises to 5.22 GB .
looks like the video bitrate is higher than normal, but not enough to account for the 1.77GB v. 5.22GB size difference...i tried demuxing/re-authoring to see if that would fix the problem and DVDSP wouldn't mess with it, said the video stream's bit rate was too high...doesn't surprise me since above 9Mbps isn't really standard

Quote:
I'm wondering if this could just be reburned with the VIDEO_TS.??? & VTS_01_?.??? files, and be good to go.
never thought of that, will try this afternoon

i'll check those links ya'll posted tonight as well, i have a feeling its a DVDRAM thing i've never seen before...but wondering if maybe James is right re: the title being "recorded" 3 times [hadn't noticed the identical file sizes til you mentioned it]...i'ma try burning just the first VTS stream and see what we get

cheers for all the help ya'll!
Old 2008-07-28, 11:02 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
I'm wondering if this could just be reburned with the VIDEO_TS.??? & VTS_01_?.??? files, and be good to go.
that seems to have worked james...cheers for the idea!

deleting VTS_02_x & VTS_03_x had no effect...looks to be the same as the original...i don't understand why the SA/DVD-RAM structure would be that way in the first place, but whatever -- it works right?!
Old 2008-07-28, 11:29 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner View Post
Quote:

deleting VTS_02_x & VTS_03_x had no effect...looks to be the same as the original...i don't understand why the SA/DVD-RAM structure would be that way in the first place, but whatever -- it works right?!
so odd... the RM folder never could have been the culprit as the files in the VIDEO_TS folder still added up to be over 4.7GB...

anyway, glad it worked. Would like to know why the standalone created those extra identically-sized files, though... very odd..
Old 2008-07-29, 04:03 AM
Video Guru
49.89 GB/89.01 GB/1.78

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner View Post

As i said.Delete the RM folder...it's a + thing.
Virtually...if you get me

K_K
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-07-29, 05:02 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

yeah, it definitely has to do with being in DVD-RAM structure...i still don't understand the SA's purpose of having the main track on there 3 times, virtual or not

i hear what yer sayin K_K, but deleting just the VIDEO_RM folder didn't fix it...i had to delete the VTS_02_x & VTS_03_x files from the VIDEO_TS folder itself

still can't get DVDSP to accept it, so no working menus, but oh well...maybe we can finally at least get this seeded now...thanks again erybody for helping figure this one out
Old 2008-07-29, 08:27 PM
Video Guru
49.89 GB/89.01 GB/1.78

If you want me to IFO Edit in the original menus which as you know will involve no re-enc just give me a shout.. at least the meat is sorted out now ,side salad is optional i suppose hehe.

K_K
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-07-30, 05:20 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

werd, cheers for the offer K_K!

i actually forgot about IFOEdit...never use the PC for any video work...i might give it a go myself, something new to try...but i'll probly PM ya for some help along the way if you don't mind

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble