The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2011-01-29, 10:27 AM
3.75 GB/4.22 MB/0.00

Re: The discussion areas of TTD

the car analogy is breaking down
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-01-29, 10:29 AM
C'est Bon
218.25 MB/1.71 GB/8.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
btw, we're just not going to modify ratios based on posting in the lounge, or anywhere else.

The ratio figure is just informational - but if we start jacking around with them, they'll mean nothing at all. They'll remain an accurate picture of what a user uploads and downloads for the foreseeable future.

Hopefully, users / members can keep in mind that the upload / download of data is only one way people can contribute here and the staff takes all that into account when it comes up.

There are a lot of people here with giant upload figures that deserve to wear that like a badge. They are the people that make the site run. None of this shit the 12 of us are talking about in here really amounts to much of anything, but those guys bring the joy of music to tens of thousands of people so we won't be "padding" the ratios of users just for posting in the lounge.

I am going to propose it to you as well James...You have not offered up any solution for anything...Offer something up. It's too easy to give an excuse of why you can't, but I have yet to see one word of what you can...

Problem or Solution...which one are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-funkenstein View Post
The DNC sucks.
Quote:
DISCLAIMER: This post is provided 'as is' for informational purposes only. The OP (Original Poster) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyTaper View Post
There is that unmistakable delicious air of animus wafting throughout the forum this evening
Old 2011-01-29, 10:38 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by uni-fi View Post
Quote:
btw, we're just not going to modify ratios based on posting in the lounge, or anywhere else.

The ratio figure is just informational - but if we start jacking around with them, they'll mean nothing at all. They'll remain an accurate picture of what a user uploads and downloads for the foreseeable future.

Hopefully, users / members can keep in mind that the upload / download of data is only one way people can contribute here and the staff takes all that into account when it comes up.

There are a lot of people here with giant upload figures that deserve to wear that like a badge. They are the people that make the site run. None of this shit the 12 of us are talking about in here really amounts to much of anything, but those guys bring the joy of music to tens of thousands of people so we won't be "padding" the ratios of users just for posting in the lounge.

I am going to propose it to you as well James...You have not offered up any solution for anything...Offer something up. It's too easy to give an excuse of why you can't, but I have yet to see one word of what you can...

Problem or Solution...which one are you?

The post you quoted, I was talking about ratios and how they are 100% unlrelated to the Lounge.
Old 2011-01-29, 01:27 PM
Thread Killer
301.22 GB/627.00 GB/2.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys View Post
once AGAIN would like to hear what others have to say.

I said my piece in the poll thread, but I'll add this here: why do so many people want to 'FIX' the Lounge? There are other 'social' forums on the site that are much more civil - why not just hang out there? Right now it seems that most of the cretins hang in the Lounge. Why not just leave them there and avoid them? I seriously doubt you'll rehabilitate them with more rules or stricter enforcement, and I for one like having them in one place that I can avoid. I'd hate to see them spread to other areas.

If you like the 'banter' in The Lounge, then deal with the resultant flack. If not, go somewhere else and make THAT forum more enjoyable, and active. It should be much easier to prevent poor behavior starting up in The Piano Bar, for example, than to undo the bad habits ingrained in the denizens of The Lounge.

I came here for the music, and it took a while till I started to spend time in the forums. While I value a lot of the discussions in other forums, I don't look to TTD as a 'social' outlet precisely because of the behavior of many of The Lounge Lizards. I wouldn't miss them if they were gone, and fortunately there are already other forums where people behave as civil humans.

fwiw
Old 2011-01-29, 04:08 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

Maybe it's that those with the most complaints spend less time in the Lounge, but I think the overall opinion is a bit skewed. There's a lot of "this is bad" & "that is bad" but few seem to realize the literally hundreds of posts every day that are exactly the friendly banter & chatter & discussion that people here keep harping that we need.

I think there's a bit of painting with a very broad brush. The vast majority of music file sharing online is of copyrighted material. We don't do that here. Yet if you start to describe the site to someone who hasn't spent time here, what do you think their first assumption is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2011-01-29, 04:21 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer View Post
Maybe it's that those with the most complaints spend less time in the Lounge, but I think the overall opinion is a bit skewed. There's a lot of "this is bad" & "that is bad" but few seem to realize the literally hundreds of posts every day that are exactly the friendly banter & chatter & discussion that people here keep harping that we need.
Old 2011-01-29, 04:29 PM
Zymocenosilicaphobic
29.67 GB/98.85 GB/3.33

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpsichord View Post
cretins hang in the Lounge

cretins?

You must be completely missing one of these.
Quote:
A sense of humor is an absolute MUST

------------------------------------
The bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean.
Old 2011-01-29, 04:35 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep620 View Post
Here we are having a conversation in a heavily moderated area of the Den with a big "whats your thoughts" sign on the front page and no one but the regulars are talking.
The two threads should have been PW free.. agreed.
Old 2011-01-29, 04:54 PM
wanna buy me a drink????
1.87 TB/2.30 TB/1.23

is there a time frame upon which we will know this has been put to rest?
"Trust a pro" Keith Richards
"here is my offer: nothing" Mike C
Old 2011-01-29, 04:55 PM
Thread Killer
301.22 GB/627.00 GB/2.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep620 View Post
cretins?

You must be completely missing one of these.

A sense of humor doesn't mean laughing at stupid shit that isn't, in fact, funny at all. But, to each their own.
Old 2011-01-29, 06:56 PM
C'est Bon
218.25 MB/1.71 GB/8.04

Quote:
The post you quoted, I was talking about ratios and how they are 100% unlrelated to the Lounge.
I am speaking in general terms...I am not speaking solely about the lounge either. However, the issue of not having people show up in the lounge is a numbers game. So group a few things together that is a positive outcome for everyone.

People coming to the lounge - Positive
People staying and posting in the lounge - Positive
People earning a small amount of share ratio, or at least an incentive to be there - Positive

Once you've made your first two hundred or so posts, you're pretty much hooked. It's getting people to make those posts that no one can seem to grasp.

I am not trying to beat the whole "give people incentives for posting in the lounge" to death, it was simply an idea of someone else's that had merit. I am certain that it would be more work than it was worth to track and whatnot.

However, your first sentence was directly related to posting in the lounge, and how your not going to give anyone an incentive...my retort was, what is your idea??? You've beat down every idea that has been proposed, so what is your idea?

A simple link in an email will get them there, but it's not always rainbows and sunshine in there. Maybe an incentive is just the thing to keep people there long enough to see it for what it really is...A pretty cool place. You can make it anything you want, but if you (I mean everyone except you) want to increase the traffic in that section of the site, that is how it's going to get done the quickest, with the least negative impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-funkenstein View Post
The DNC sucks.
Quote:
DISCLAIMER: This post is provided 'as is' for informational purposes only. The OP (Original Poster) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyTaper View Post
There is that unmistakable delicious air of animus wafting throughout the forum this evening
Old 2011-01-29, 07:41 PM
Zymocenosilicaphobic
29.67 GB/98.85 GB/3.33

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpsichord View Post
A sense of humor doesn't mean laughing at stupid shit that isn't, in fact, funny at all. But, to each their own.
I never said the lounge was loaded with funny shit. But I think anyone who refers to a group of people they hardly know as "cretins" is someone who takes themselves and other things a bit too seriously. But, to each their own.

Good luck with that.

The bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean.
Old 2011-01-29, 09:27 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by uni-fi View Post
People coming to the lounge - Positive
People staying and posting in the lounge - Positive
People earning a small amount of share ratio, or at least an incentive to be there - Positive

dude, I am not trying to "beat down every idea", but we're not going to pay people to post in the lounge. Surely, if you thought about it, you'd come to the conclusion that would very, very lame?

Don't confuse my participation in the thread as "beating down ideas". It is simply the case that no one has proposed anything that will attract more people to be lounge regulars.
Old 2011-01-29, 10:30 PM
Suicidal For Life
1.38 TB/14.95 TB/10.80

Quote:
dude, I am not trying to "beat down every idea", but we're not going to pay people to post in the lounge. Surely, if you thought about it, you'd come to the conclusion that would very, very lame?

Don't confuse my participation in the thread as "beating down ideas". It is simply the case that no one has proposed anything that will attract more people to be lounge regulars.
Define 'lame'.

Surely it's crossed your mind that some people won't go in there for fear of being attacked because of their ratio.

And yes, I agree with you that you weren't "beating down ideas", you just tried beating me down by commenting on how i should know ratios are
just "informational" and that i should know better because of how long i've been here instead of discussing the idea i put forward. And you wonder why no one wants to go in there?

Several times you have been asked to put forward your ideas but each time you have managed to find your way around answering it. Perhaps we should call you sidestep because that's what you seem to be doing.
Originally Posted by Freezer
I heard obama was an inexperienced, terrible administrator who likely could never hack it in the private sector.
So you are like the Obama of TTD?
Old 2011-01-29, 10:33 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

My ideas about what?

I didn;t bring this topic up.

offering to modify people's statistics for posting in the lounge doesn't make any sense.

The UL/DL numbers are just that.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions