The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2016-03-30, 07:41 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet74 View Post
Is there a simply way to update only SHN, LAME and FLAC decoder that are a little bit old especially FLAC encoder? ...
SHN
Deprecated; development was stopped long time ago. TLH 2.7.0 comes with the latest en-/decoder release so this part is up-to-date.

LAME
TLH 2.7.0 comes with LAME v3.98.4. The actual release will be v3.100 (not yet released). Judging from the changelog/history all post-v3.98.4-fixes/changes are _not_ relevant when using LAME with TLH. So there's no need to update this part of TLH.

FLAC
As a workaround you can replace flac.exe and metaflac.exe in the CmdlineApps folder of TLH with the latest releases. _But_ note that the ffp verifying problem reported about a couple of posts above will _not_ be gone with this workaround (the ffp issue occurs due to the way verifying ffp checksum files is implemented inside of TLH).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet74 View Post
... I will be happy to help you test releases!
Thanks very much for your kind offer but much more users than the two of us would be needed for testing...
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2016-03-31, 09:28 AM
11.88 GB/18.59 GB/1.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by roann View Post
Thanks very much for your kind offer but much more users than the two of us would be needed for testing...
My offer still stands!
Old 2016-03-31, 10:00 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtalleric View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roann View Post
My offer still stands!
I know .
Old 2017-01-29, 02:28 AM
The Generous
2.63 TB/2.58 TB/0.98

TLH does not seem to like a semi-colon being used in the name of the folder containing flac files. I have been trying to generate an ffp but although TLH saw the folder it couldn't read the contents. Has anyone else come across this problem?

Thanks
Old 2017-01-29, 02:59 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRMick View Post
TLH does not seem to like a semi-colon being used in the name of the folder containing flac files. I have been trying to generate an ffp but although TLH saw the folder it couldn't read the contents. Has anyone else come across this problem?

Thanks
Works fine on my side - but at the moment I can only test on Win XP / 7. Is there any error message?
Old 2017-01-29, 05:03 AM
The Generous
2.63 TB/2.58 TB/0.98

No error message. I changed the semi-colon to a comma and it then worked as normal.

BTW: I'm using Win 10.
Old 2018-01-30, 03:47 PM
199.93 GB/50.22 GB/0.25

I've suddenly started having problems with Trader's Little Helper. It will encode files just fine but that's all it will do. If I attempt to decode any file, be it FLAC or Ape, I get the error: cannot open output file (likely it does not exist or is not accessible).

So far, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but the problem persists. Is this a common problem? Is there anything that I can do to fix it? Many thanks.
Old 2018-01-31, 04:49 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambsWool View Post
I've suddenly started having problems with Trader's Little Helper. It will encode files just fine but that's all it will do. If I attempt to decode any file, be it FLAC or Ape, I get the error: cannot open output file (likely it does not exist or is not accessible).

So far, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but the problem persists. Is this a common problem? Is there anything that I can do to fix it? Many thanks.
TLH was written way before Win Vista was released. Security of Win Vista is much improved compared to Win XP (User Account Control, file access, for example).

Workarounds:
1) Move your files to "My Documents" folder. Test...
2) Run TLH as administrator. Test...
Old 2018-01-31, 05:06 PM
199.93 GB/50.22 GB/0.25

Thanks. I've just tried both of these options, moving the files to My Documents and then then trying to decode and then, when that didn't work, tried running TLH as administrator. That didn't work either

I really appreciate the help. This is a real head-scratcher for me.
Old 2018-03-29, 11:09 AM
783.71 GB/2.09 TB/2.73

Okay, here's a weird one.

Windows 10 machine. Pretty certain TLH worked fine "before the incident." The incident: I installed an old piece of software I liked and it horked up Windows but good-- machine wouldn't boot to Windows, couldn't restore from the restore points, etc. Had to do a reset, and reinstall everything.

Since then, TLH works fine for files on the hard drive. I make data DVDs of GD shows for a friend who doesn't do bit torrents, and TLH won't work on discs in the CD/DVD drive. The file manager portion of TLH works fine-- I can navigate to the drive and select files, but when I click the button to perform the action (like verifying checksums), I always get a "file cannot be found in directory" error message in the log. I get this for verifying checksums, checking audio file details, checking for SBEs, etc. I've removed and reinstalled TLH, which didn't help.

Other utilities work fine with the drive, and all the functions can be done to the files on the DVDs using TLH on another machine. While the issue is probably something weird with Windows caused by the reset, I'm hoping the brain trust can point me to a solution. It would be a lot easier to verify the checksums immediately after I burn a disc, instead of having to take it to another machine.

Thanks!
Old 2018-03-29, 11:46 AM
The Generous
2.63 TB/2.58 TB/0.98

Quote:
Originally Posted by iarooster View Post

Windows 10 machine. Pretty certain TLH worked fine "before the incident." The incident: I installed an old piece of software I liked and it horked up Windows but good-- machine wouldn't boot to Windows, couldn't restore from the restore points, etc. Had to do a reset, and reinstall everything.

Since then, TLH works fine for files on the hard drive. I make data DVDs of GD shows for a friend who doesn't do bit torrents, and TLH won't work on discs in the CD/DVD drive. The file manager portion of TLH works fine-- I can navigate to the drive and select files, but when I click the button to perform the action (like verifying checksums), I always get a "file cannot be found in directory" error message in the log. I get this for verifying checksums, checking audio file details, checking for SBEs, etc. I've removed and reinstalled TLH, which didn't help.

Other utilities work fine with the drive, and all the functions can be done to the files on the DVDs using TLH on another machine. While the issue is probably something weird with Windows caused by the reset, I'm hoping the brain trust can point me to a solution. It would be a lot easier to verify the checksums immediately after I burn a disc, instead of having to take it to another machine.

Thanks!
I've had this happen before with files on my HD as well. It's nothing to do with TLH as far as I can recall. I think it's something to do with the headers in the files. Can I suggest you copy a few flacs from the DVD back onto your hard drive and test them to see whether they are ok.
Old 2018-03-29, 01:13 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRMick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iarooster View Post

Thanks!
I've had this happen before with files on my HD as well. It's nothing to do with TLH as far as I can recall. I think it's something to do with the headers in the files. Can I suggest you copy a few flacs from the DVD back onto your hard drive and test them to see whether they are ok.
If the header of a file is corrupted in some way you'd get another error message. So I don't think the issue is caused by the file headers.

Good old TLH ... I wrote it way before Win Vista was released (it all started in the Win 2K era). Security of Win Vista (and newer) is much improved compared to Win 2K/XP (User Account Control, file access, for example). This could be the reason for the "file cannot be found in directory" error message. But I don't know for sure.

I hate Windows OS starting with Win 8... so I switched to Linux long time ago. That's why TLH wasn't updated for years. Unfortunately, for a couple of reasons (most parts of the code need to be reworked, for example) updating TLH would take a lot of time. So far I don't wanted to spend months coding a new release.

The only thing that doesn't take that much time would be to update the installer (from my point of view this could get TLH back to work properly). Don't know - maybe I'll do this in April. I'll let you know...

Robert
Old 2018-04-13, 08:34 PM
783.71 GB/2.09 TB/2.73

Here's a followup on my issue, where I was getting the error that TLH couldn't find the ffp or md5 file when selected from a data disc burned on my new PC: the problem seems to occur on discs burned with BurnAware Free software, and read with TLH on Win10 (or maybe on a 64 bit OS).

-- The fingerprint files were not found on discs burned with BurnAware on the Win10 *nor* on the old WinVista machine.
-- The fingerprint files *were* found on discs burned on both machines but with different burning software.
-- The fingerprint files were found on discs burned with BurnAware on either machine but read on the Vista machine
-- The fingerprint files were found if I copied the folders back to the hard drive from a disc burned with BurnAware on the Win10 machine.

So it would seem to me that the issue is something about the directory structure/format on the disc when burned with BurnAware; the file explorer part of TLH can navigate it fine, but whatever it's passing to the verification module or other modules doesn't mesh with the disc. I'm sure all the terminology is wrong, but that's how it seems to me. And the important part is, I can just use different burning software and everything's hunky dory with TLH on the Win10 machine.

Thanks to roann and everyone else for their interest!
Old 2018-04-18, 09:19 AM
francois truffaut
3.64 GB/2.92 MB/0.00

Hi

Can you let me know what these mean

Audience
Soundboard
Pre-FM
FM Broadcast
Matrix
Studio
IEM/ALD
Multi Track Stereo

I am looking for Acoustic Songs of high clarity Like

Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin Tribute): Heart's Ann and Nancy Wilson - 2012 Kennedy Center Honors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u-PjvRyr0I

Thanks
Old 2018-05-23, 11:08 PM
1.01 GB/49.80 MB/0.05

Question Re: Trader's Little Helper

I need some help. I am unsure exactly how to fix SBEs. I am going through some of my 2005 Pearl Jam FLAC shows released by Nugs a couple years back and they are riddled with SBEs.

What settings should I be using? Here is an example of the SBE output for one of the shows.

Quote:
1-01 - I Believe In Miracles.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 128 bytes).
1-02 - Small Town.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 1676 bytes).
1-03 - Off He Goes.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 1404 bytes).
1-04 - Low Light.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 664 bytes).
1-05 - Man Of The Hour.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 1700 bytes).
1-06 - I Am Mine.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 892 bytes).
1-07 - Crazy Mary.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 1584 bytes).
1-08 - Black.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 932 bytes).
1-09 - Hard To Imagine.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 2008 bytes).
2-10 - Given To Fly.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 472 bytes).
2-11 - Last Exit.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 2056 bytes).
2-12 - Save You.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 1240 bytes).
2-13 - Do The Evolution.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 472 bytes).
2-14 - Alone.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 472 bytes).
2-15 - Sad.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 1884 bytes).
2-16 - Even Flow.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 944 bytes).
2-17 - Not For You.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 1424 bytes).
2-18 - Corduroy.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 1404 bytes).
2-19 - Dissident.flac: audio data is cut on a sector boundary.
2-20 - MFC.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 2176 bytes).
2-21 - Undone.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 556 bytes).
2-22 - Daughter.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 800 bytes).
2-23 - In My Tree.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 1140 bytes).
3-24 - State Of Love And Trust.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 36 bytes).
3-25 - Alive.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 500 bytes).
3-26 - Porch.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 520 bytes).
3-27 - Encore Break 1.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 692 bytes).
3-28 - Love Boat Captain.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 380 bytes).
3-29 - Insignificance.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 996 bytes).
3-30 - Better Man.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 1828 bytes).
3-31 - Rearviewmirror.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 2276 bytes).
3-32 - Last Kiss.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 624 bytes).
3-33 - Crown Of Thorns.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 2220 bytes).
3-34 - Blood.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 1616 bytes).
3-35 - Encore Break 2.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 1200 bytes).
3-36 - Yellow Ledbetter.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 1324 bytes).
3-37 - Baba O'Riley.flac: audio data is not cut on a sector boundary (sector misalignment = 1140 bytes).

There were sector boundary errors.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
tlh, traders little helper