The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-01-24, 06:01 PM
194.91 GB/223.22 GB/1.15

DVD Imager produces empty image then shuts down

Re: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=52247

Anyone else having trouble processing this video? I use DVD Imager (OS X) to convert the VIDEO_TS folder into a disk image that can be opened and played or burned to a DVD. This one doesn't work - DVD Imager quickly produces an empty disk image and shuts down. I've downloaded it twice - same result.

Never had any trouble with DVD Imager until now.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-01-24, 06:44 PM
56.17 GB/77.19 GB/1.37

Re: DVD Imager produces empty image then shuts down

Does it play OK with DVD Player/VLC ?

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Tintern Abbey - Vacuum Cleaner
Old 2008-01-24, 07:01 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Have you upgraded your OS lately? If you are using 10.5, then you need DVD Imager version 1.6.

And, as ffooky asked, does it play OK on your mac?

Old 2008-01-25, 06:57 AM
194.91 GB/223.22 GB/1.15

I can't play it w/ DVD Player, cause I can't produce a disk image. The Player can't play the VIDEO_TS directly.
Old 2008-01-25, 07:02 AM
194.91 GB/223.22 GB/1.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
Have you upgraded your OS lately? If you are using 10.5, then you need DVD Imager version 1.6.

And, as ffooky asked, does it play OK on your mac?
* DVD Player can't play the VIDEO_TS directly. I need to make a disk image, then open the image to play it. So no image = no play.

* I have 10.4. And I've never had a problem before with DVD IMager.
Old 2008-01-25, 09:01 AM
56.17 GB/77.19 GB/1.37

DVD Player -> File -> Open DVD Media. Navigate to your VIDEO_TS folder and Bob's your mother's brother.

VLC -> File -> Open Disc ->choose the VIDEO_TS directory option and browse to required folder.

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Old 2008-01-25, 09:28 AM
194.91 GB/223.22 GB/1.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffooky View Post
DVD Player -> File -> Open DVD Media. Navigate to your VIDEO_TS folder and Bob's your mother's brother.

VLC -> File -> Open Disc ->choose the VIDEO_TS directory option and browse to required folder.
The most issue issue is:
When I try to create an image of this particular VIDEO_TS (so I can burn a DVD), the DVD Imager works for about a second, creates a 0 byte image, then shuts down.

Sorry - I'm completely inexperienced troubleshooting things like this, because I've never had a problem creating a burn-able image before.

Thanks,
Charles
Old 2008-01-25, 09:48 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

dreaded_snakes, you need to see if this video plays on your Mac. You CAN play VIDEO_TS folders on your Mac, I do it all the time.

Go to your applications folder and double-click on DVD Player. Then go to the top menu bar and select File, then Open DVD Media. A drop-down will come up for you to browse to the Thunderbirds folder and then select the VIDEO_TS folder in there and hit Choose. A menu screen should come up in the video play, or you may have to go to the control and hit Menu. Then click on something on the menu and it should start. Let us know if the video plays with no problems.

Old 2008-01-25, 09:48 AM
56.17 GB/77.19 GB/1.37

No worries but the first step in troubleshooting this one is to determine whether we're definitely dealing with a playable VIDEO_TS folder here.

Have you checked that the files within the folder definitely have content as opposed to being the "placeholders" that your torrent program creates if you have it set to allocate space prior to the actual transfer ?

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Old 2008-01-25, 12:36 PM
194.91 GB/223.22 GB/1.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
dreaded_snakes, you need to see if this video plays on your Mac. You CAN play VIDEO_TS folders on your Mac, I do it all the time.

Go to your applications folder and double-click on DVD Player. Then go to the top menu bar and select File, then Open DVD Media. A drop-down will come up for you to browse to the Thunderbirds folder and then select the VIDEO_TS folder in there and hit Choose. A menu screen should come up in the video play, or you may have to go to the control and hit Menu. Then click on something on the menu and it should start. Let us know if the video plays with no problems.
Thanks - I'll try that when I get home from work -about 4 hrs from now. I'll check back with results. Thanks for your help...

- Charles
Old 2008-01-25, 12:39 PM
194.91 GB/223.22 GB/1.15

Quote:
No worries but the first step in troubleshooting this one is to determine whether we're definitely dealing with a playable VIDEO_TS folder here.

Have you checked that the files within the folder definitely have content as opposed to being the "placeholders" that your torrent program creates if you have it set to allocate space prior to the actual transfer ?
Yes - I checked the contents. The size of the files indicate that they are real, not placeholders. The total volume of the files is ~ 4GB.

I'll try U2Lynne's advice and see if I can play it from DVD Player and report back (about 4hrs from now).

Thanks!
Old 2008-01-25, 11:26 PM
194.91 GB/223.22 GB/1.15

OK - I can play the VIDEO_TS using DVD Player.

If I try to make a disk image, the DVD Imager works for about 1 second, announces 'Done!', and shuts down. A 0 byte image results.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 2008-01-26, 04:57 AM
56.17 GB/77.19 GB/1.37

If it can play then it can burn.

Have you upgraded to 1.6 ? I know it only lists Leopard compatibility as a change but no reason not to.

As there's an EXTRAS_TS directory have you tried option B as explained on http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/apples...dvdimager.html ?

Did you try all chapters when checking that it played ?

From the files list given in the torrent description all files are named in kosher fashion and 100% playability would confirm this.

Just to rule out any hidden file wierdness in the downloaded directory why not create a new folder‚ name it VIDEO_TS and drag all the files from the original into it. Drag 'em individually rather than selecting all just to rule out hidden files.

Failing all this try using http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/. Choose the data tab and select DVD-Video from the format option. It may produce a coaster but probably worth a try.

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Old 2008-01-26, 08:04 AM
194.91 GB/223.22 GB/1.15

Quote:

Have you upgraded to 1.6 ? I know it only lists Leopard compatibility as a change but no reason not to.

As there's an EXTRAS_TS directory have you tried option B as explained on http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/apples...dvdimager.html ?

From the files list given in the torrent description all files are named in kosher fashion and 100% playability would confirm this.

Just to rule out any hidden file wierdness in the downloaded directory why not create a new folder‚ name it VIDEO_TS and drag all the files from the original into it. Drag 'em individually rather than selecting all just to rule out hidden files.

Failing all this try using http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/. Choose the data tab and select DVD-Video from the format option. It may produce a coaster but probably worth a try.
I have not upgraded to 1.6. I'll do so.

Also, I did check all chapters - they all play OK.

I'll try your suggestions and check in later.

Much obliged.
Old 2008-01-26, 08:16 AM
194.91 GB/223.22 GB/1.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaded_snakes View Post
Quote:

I have not upgraded to 1.6. I'll do so.

Also, I did check all chapters - they all play OK.

I'll try your suggestions and check in later.

Much obliged.
Also - I tried Option A, selecting only the VIDEO_TS. I ignored the EXTRAS_TS, as it only has a text file. Now that you mention it, I'll bet that extra folder is the issue.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble