The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2011-06-03, 11:40 PM
491.13 GB/783.96 GB/1.60

Laptop problem.

The harddrive in my laptop just shit itself. Put in a new one then put in the Recovery Disk to get it going again. NO GO.
Apparently, after trawling the net to find info, this particular disk DOESN"T have the OS on it.

How do I go about getting an OS on my laptop? I'm good with desktops but know nothing about laptops.
Old 2011-06-03, 11:51 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Re: Laptop problem.

did you buy a big brand laptop, like Dell or HP? They can provide you with the restore discs for a small fee (like $15 or something). If you bought it new, you have already paid for the OS.
Old 2011-06-04, 12:28 AM
oxymoron
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

http://www.ehow.com/how_4910631_down...very-disk.html

If you're running Windows XP and your computer software crashes or becomes unusable, you may have to run Windows XP recovery to reestablish your software and make your computer usable once again. When purchased, many computers don't come with a Windows XP recovery disk, but you can download one for free. The Windows XP recovery disk holds almost all of the computer software and files that came loaded with your PC and can assist you in rebuilding your hard drive.

Place a formatted floppy disk in your floppy disk drive. Click on the "Download a Windows XP recovery disk from Microsoft" link in Resources below. Click "Download." Then click "Save." Find your floppy drive on the menu and click "OK."

Remove the floppy disk when the Windows XP recovery disk download is complete, and place it in the computer on which you need to use it.

Shut down your computer; then turn your computer back on. Your computer will automatically start up running on the Windows XP recovery disk, which will allow you to install Windows XP once again.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-06-04, 07:54 AM
491.13 GB/783.96 GB/1.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
http://www.ehow.com/how_4910631_down...very-disk.html

If you're running Windows XP and your computer software crashes or becomes unusable, you may have to run Windows XP recovery to reestablish your software and make your computer usable once again. When purchased, many computers don't come with a Windows XP recovery disk, but you can download one for free. The Windows XP recovery disk holds almost all of the computer software and files that came loaded with your PC and can assist you in rebuilding your hard drive.

Place a formatted floppy disk in your floppy disk drive. Click on the "Download a Windows XP recovery disk from Microsoft" link in Resources below. Click "Download." Then click "Save." Find your floppy drive on the menu and click "OK."

Remove the floppy disk when the Windows XP recovery disk download is complete, and place it in the computer on which you need to use it.

Shut down your computer; then turn your computer back on. Your computer will automatically start up running on the Windows XP recovery disk, which will allow you to install Windows XP once again.

I could have sworn that I typed "Laptop" ! I don't remember laptops ever having floppy access.

I appreciate this /\ but 1. no floppy drive and 2. it came with and was running Vista.

BTW: I really love your avatar. I can't stop watching it. Makes me feel good.
Old 2011-06-04, 08:12 AM
491.13 GB/783.96 GB/1.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
did you buy a big brand laptop, like Dell or HP? They can provide you with the restore discs for a small fee (like $15 or something). If you bought it new, you have already paid for the OS.
J. It's a retail Asus, about 3 years old now. I can't be bothered dealing with them 'cause it would take forever. I have a few different OS's I could load onto the laptop but not sure what's going on.

As I stated I put a new HD in it "cause the original died. I put the Recovery Disk in to, hopefully, get the new drive going. At this time I didn't know the said disk DIDN'T have the OS on it.
What actually happened was that it went through "a" process (don't know what), then it kept telling me it needed the OS. Then I figured out I didn't have it (on the Recovery Disk) after looking on the interweb.

All I get now is a dark grey screen and nothing happening. I've tried rebooting it many times - same thing. I've also tried to get into the bios (to set the boot install for one of my other OS disks) but I can't even get into the bios (press delete as it starts up).

Any thoughts...........................please.
Old 2011-06-04, 08:32 AM
oxymoron
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonebloke View Post
I could have sworn that I typed "Laptop" ! I don't remember laptops ever having floppy access.

I appreciate this /\ but 1. no floppy drive and 2. it came with and was running Vista.
in the past ALL lap´s have a fdd, but now we are in the future and nobody miss this shitty tech, thats right

hmm, do you have no windows 7 / Vista install cd/dvd?
use this link:
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

i hope that your laptop have a dvd/cd drive, this is recommended or external usbhdd

Quote:
BTW: I really love your avatar. I can't stop watching it. Makes me feel good.
your not the first guy here who´s will marriaged my avatar
Old 2011-06-04, 09:00 AM
491.13 GB/783.96 GB/1.60

G'day O.

I've seen and read many pages (in the last 24 hours), including the link you posted, and though I appreciate the link it only gives me what I already have. My laptop came with a Recovery Disk BUT NO operating system disk.

If I wasn't married I'd propose to your avatar. My god man, that's yum.
Old 2011-06-04, 09:34 AM
oxymoron
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
G'day O.

I've seen and read many pages (in the last 24 hours), including the link you posted, and though I appreciate the link it only gives me what I already have. My laptop came with a Recovery Disk BUT NO operating system disk.
damned, no friend with an install dvd?

Quote:
If I wasn't married I'd propose to your avatar. My god man, that's yum.
Old 2011-06-04, 09:41 AM
491.13 GB/783.96 GB/1.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
damned, no friend with an install dvd?

O. I have an OS I can install but I can't get into the bios to select the boot source.

I have to get a divorce.
Old 2011-06-05, 01:08 AM
oxymoron
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
O. I have an OS I can install but I can't get into the bios to select the boot source.
connect the new hdd with your desktop, divided the hhd in two partions, make the first bootable, copy the install cd/dvd on it
connect it now with laptop, install the OS on the 2nd partion
after install, connect back with the desktop, run a partion manager, delete the first and make the 2nd to the first
and back in the laptop
ready

Quote:
I have to get a divorce.
from your laptop or your wife?
Old 2011-06-05, 09:16 AM
223.40 GB/326.57 GB/1.46

Quote:

I have to get a divorce.

Have you tried starting it in safe mode?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...r-in-safe-mode

Remove any discs in your drive , turn it off snd while it's restarting, press the F8 key a bunch of times. When it starts in safe mode, you should see some advanced boot options, and you can change the boot order in there using the arrow keys to make it boot from the installation disc. Then insert the disc and reboot, and it should install on startup.

Good luck.
Old 2011-06-06, 01:33 AM
491.13 GB/783.96 GB/1.60

Problem solved. Reformatted the HD, again, and finally got it to boot from CD.

Thanks for the imput people.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble