The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?

Notices

Lossy or Lossless? Please use this forum to post spectral and frequency analysis posts about shows you have your doubts about.

Old 2011-04-04, 09:06 PM
241.42 GB/240.59 GB/1.00

Question TV audio?

I recorded audio from a TV broadcast saved to my DVR to my DR-07. It was recording in 44k, 16-bit mode. I tested the WAVs in TLH and it said they were MPEG sourced? Are they really lossy? Are they okay to post on TTD?
"If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on." - Terence McKenna
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-04-04, 09:14 PM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Re: TV audio?

I would bet that while you recorded lossless, the TV station broadcast being digital has been compressed somewhere either at the Tv studio, or somewhere at the cable company...

Are they allowable at TTD? I have no idea.
Old 2011-04-04, 09:35 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

#7:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...item#faq_rules

---------------------------------------
7. Audio ripped from an MPEG video or DVD is not permitted.
All digital video codecs use lossy audio compression schemes, and therefore audio extracted from an MPEG video or DVD is not permitted for seeding here.
---------------------------------------

What you have there is likely a re-code a cable company or satellite provider has done while passing the programming though its system (or possibly when buffering to the DVR) - likely MPEG2 audio, like on a DVD. A fine codec - but lossy nonetheless.
Old 2011-04-05, 04:55 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

So nothing from TV can be uploaded?
Old 2011-04-05, 06:09 PM
241.42 GB/240.59 GB/1.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggus Dickus View Post
Only video, is what I'm getting out of this. I always wondered why trader's are okay with lossy audio on dvd's, but not otherwise.
"If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on." - Terence McKenna
Old 2011-04-05, 10:37 PM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Arrow Re: TV audio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggus Dickus View Post
I'd say nothing from anything related to digital broadcasting could be allowed audio-wise here, under these rules. Maybe something recorded 20 years or more ago might be cool though... Analog old-school low-def TV ruled!
Old 2011-04-06, 07:11 AM
241.42 GB/240.59 GB/1.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioarchivist View Post
I'd say nothing from anything related to digital broadcasting could be allowed audio-wise here, under these rules. Maybe something recorded 20 years or more ago might be cool though... Analog old-school low-def TV ruled!
Assumably, my DVR (and most) records in MPEG2 with AC3 audio. I'm guessing that it's in the .ts container.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?