The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-07-26, 08:09 AM
3.74 TB/2.31 TB/0.62

how to put .cda files from cd to hard drive then....

make a copy for a trade? I'm trying to trade with someone but on my original cd all i see are .cda files, how to i transfer them to my hard drive and then from there what would i need to do special in order to burn that back onto a blank cd to send out?? anyone have a simple answer? Thanks
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-07-26, 09:01 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Re: how to put .cda files from cd to hard drive then....

Get a program called EAC (Exact Audio Copy).

It will extract the .wav files from your CD, which you can then encode to FLAC for trading.

It is important to etiquite that you note the CDR being in the lineage, since there is a chance that the audio was altered SLIGHTLY between burning the originals to CDR and extracting back to WAV.
Old 2007-07-26, 11:07 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

make sure EAC is in secure mode & check the report it gives you to be positive there are no errors (usually there aren't!)

more info in this thread if you want to get into the nitty gritty:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=41476

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-07-26, 11:53 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

..... forgive me, but it sounds as though all the original poster wants to do is copy the CD; in which case something like Nero has a copy option built in, and all that's required is (assuming 2 available CD drives in the PC) to insert source and destination CDs in the 2 drives, and click 'copy'.

With only one drive, Nero takes care of storing the source CD on the HDD while you insert the destination CD into the drive, all behind the scenes.

Surely a better option than CDR -> EAC to .wav -> TLH to .flac -> Burrn to CDR, which requires three separate software packages, and will be far more time-consuming ....?

Regards, Graham
Old 2007-07-26, 12:49 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

www.exactaudiocopy.de
"The main differences between EAC and most other audio grabbers are :

* It is free (for non-commercial purposes)
* It works with a technology, which reads audio CDs almost perfectly. If there are any errors that can’t be corrected, it will tell you on which time position the (possible) distortion occurred, so you could easily control it with e.g. the media player. With other audio grabbers you usually need to listen to every grabbed wave because they only do jitter correction. Scratched CDs read on CD-ROM drives often produce distortions. But listening to every extracted audio track is a waste of time. Exact Audio Copy conquer these problems by making use of several technologies like multi-reading with verify and AccurateRip."

For copying audio CDs in Windows, EAC is the best program to use. It has error correcting extraction, something Nero doesn't have, so it will re-read sectors that it had trouble with the first time. After several attempts to read a bad sector, EAC will give up and report an error, but it will continue to read the rest of the track if possible. Nero will stop copying a track and report an error if it is major, and it will give up after the first try. EAC will also burn audio CDs, and it is free. Nero is about $80.

If you want to get more advanced, all the offsets (read, write, combined read/write) can be corrected with EAC. Nero can't correct any offsets. So with EAC it is possible to take a FLAC set > burn audio CD with EAC w/write offset corrected > extract audio CD w/read offset corrected > burn audio > extract audio > burn audio > extract audio > ad infinitum > compress to FLAC, and still end up with the original FLAC fileset that will match the original FLAC fingerprint. That isn't possible with Nero.

Last edited by Tubular; 2007-07-26 at 12:56 PM.
Old 2007-07-26, 02:05 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRC
..... forgive me, but it sounds as though all the original poster wants to do is copy the CD; in which case something like Nero has a copy option built in, and all that's required is (assuming 2 available CD drives in the PC) to insert source and destination CDs in the 2 drives, and click 'copy'.

With only one drive, Nero takes care of storing the source CD on the HDD while you insert the destination CD into the drive, all behind the scenes.

Surely a better option than CDR -> EAC to .wav -> TLH to .flac -> Burrn to CDR, which requires three separate software packages, and will be far more time-consuming ....?

Regards, Graham
no offense, but I STRONGLY disagree

everybody stopped trading audio cdrs a few years back because they are too error-prone and most times there is not even an option to verify that the burn is error-free. I have a couple hundred audio cdrs around my house from the old days, 85% are okay, 15% have glitches when you least expect it

so it is better to trade FLAC, then let the person on the other end burn an audio cd to play in their car if they need it.

Quote:
Old 2007-07-26, 04:30 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRC
I think you may be right, he may have meant to just copy the audio CD, but even if that is the case, he should use EAC to do it, since the copy method it uses is to securely extract the audio, then burn from those files to the new CDR - making the closest copy possible to the original CDR.
Old 2007-07-27, 12:35 PM
The Rover
166.83 GB/98.96 GB/0.59

I am going to go out on limb here and assume he is talking about bootleg audio CD's

I f he not, then this whole thread should be banned as trading commercial CD's is illegal, as far as I know or understand the law.

p.s. - Five - i thought trading audio cd's is what we do here - in a round about way?

lol - Evan772
Old 2007-07-27, 03:00 PM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.79 TB/5.01

Making a single copy for personal use of ANY disc, tape, etc. is allowed by law.
You are allowed to backup anything that you own for yourself only.
Therefore, even commercial CDs have a time and a place to be copied.
-Only once, at home, by the owner, for the owner.

Of course it's better to use EAC to make sure the copy is as accurate and complete as possible.

As for fan based tradeable stuff, making audio CD copies for folks to enjoy listening to is great, but if someone is going to trade that music further, they should trade with the original flac/shn/ape fileset, not from an audio CDR rip...
Old 2007-07-27, 04:28 PM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

... having only used EAC for making WAVs, I didn't realise it had a copy feature built in; I find its interface, and user guides, a touch obscure.....

I cited Nero merely as an example of something that might just copy the CD in one pass, rather than mess around with multiple programs; but if EAC will do the same at the click of a button, then I applaud it...

Regards, Graham
Old 2007-07-28, 12:06 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

No, EAC can't copy CDs to your hard drive, then burn a copy with a single click. But sometimes you trade convenience for quality and features. It's worth it IMO.
Old 2007-07-28, 01:04 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAN772
I am going to go out on limb here and assume he is talking about bootleg audio CD's

I f he not, then this whole thread should be banned as trading commercial CD's is illegal, as far as I know or understand the law.
yes, of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAN772
p.s. - Five - i thought trading audio cd's is what we do here - in a round about way?

lol - Evan772
yes, but making copies of copys of copys of audio cdrs, then extracting WAV>FLAC, putting it on the internet, burning that to audio cdr, oops I lost the info & screwed up the date, mailing that, copying it again to audio cdr, put this in my cd player & what's that sound? click, crackle pfffft oh shit maybe we should avoid this.

at stg ppl were still vineing audio cdrs sometimes and that got put to an end because of the errors that creep in and the hundreds of variant files that result. we don't allow audio cdr > FLAC > torrent > audio cdr > FLAC > torrent here, either. Its to preserve the quality.

If you are capable of going FLAC > audio cdr > FLAC and get a perfect (and I mean perfect) match on the files using checksums and also manage not to lose the info and stuff then it is okay, but anybody who has their system configured that tightly (I do) wouldn't do that!

Quote:
Old 2007-07-30, 06:45 PM
The Rover
166.83 GB/98.96 GB/0.59

I understood , I was just tryin to get a rise outta ya - I guess it worked - ha ha

I was alo bringing up a point - that's all

I check all my downloads now since I am now in head - and I've only been doing this since April of 2007
I have a lot of free time with the construction market being so bad right now. As being a contractor and boss I am in my office at pc all day, and this is what i do in between bidding jobs. I have learned an enormous amount of knowledge as well as about 1TB of bootlegs since starting. I also use the dc++ system.
I personally back up all of my boot with Retrospect as well as a tape drive I have for the business. And i catalog with orangecd. I'm lovin this shit
talk about changing subject of thread
sorry didn't mean to go off on a tangent.
Peace

Last edited by EVAN772; 2007-07-30 at 06:53 PM.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble