The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2011-03-15, 10:00 AM
405.32 GB/478.78 GB/1.18

Banning of trade lists w/NFT items on it

Any thoughts on the subject matter? Me, I find it hugely annoying to see lists posted in the "Snail Mail Trading" forum containing NFT (not for trade) items. Those lists should be treated similar to those w/official releases. If something is not for trade, then why include it in a trade list?! I won't go all Freud on the motivation leading up to the inclusion of said items, but it is fucking stupid, that much I'll say.

Last edited by Helga Feddersen; 2011-03-15 at 12:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-03-15, 01:15 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: Banning of trade lists w/NFT items on it

realistically speaking, we have hard enough of a time "policing" lists for official material...don't think we really want to add more work to it

personally, i don't list the shows i have that aren't for trade...but i know some who have em there for others with rare trade material, and i understand that...but i'd agree that for most who do it, there's probly some pathetic psychological root motivation in there...remember, this hobby is full of people who actually get some sort of sense of self-worth out of taping or collecting, sad but true
Old 2011-03-15, 01:23 PM
405.32 GB/478.78 GB/1.18

All good, was just a thought. I do get the 'too much work' aspect. Nevertheless, listing something that is not for trade, especially in a distinct trade forum, is beyond me. I mean, just look at this:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=89668
that's pure comedy gold.
Old 2011-03-15, 01:44 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

While there are more in his video section, it's still just a fraction of the total. Implies he has something you want & can't get. Seems most are his masters.

I use my online list as an inventory, as many others surely do as well. As such, it's not just for trades. I may list something as "not for trade" because I was requested to do so by whomever I traded/gave me the show (usually the taper him/her-self).

Those are the only shows I actually list as "NFT," although they might not be the only ones not traded. I tend to mark certain shows as "uncirculated" in my notes, and those are masters which I haven't seeded or traded, sometimes for certain reasons.

If anything, someone like your example is saving you time & effort. Either you're going to have to offer something of equal value or you have no chance to trade for a "NFT" show...either way he's saving you the trouble of asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2011-03-15, 02:08 PM
405.32 GB/478.78 GB/1.18

Appreciate your thoughts, rcspencer. However, if anything, it implies that no-trade items listed in a trade forum is an absurdity at best. Though, I have to admit, it's the easiest thing on earth to turn this around and throw a 'cry baby' into anyone's face that speaks out against the listing of stuff that is not for trade. "I use my online list as an inventory" Oh please..... I could list about 1500 master vids myself, all of them not for trade. Of course this would be for the sole purpose of keeping an online inventory only. For that I'd have exactly 2 words: Laughing stock.

Despite our different outlooks on the subject matter you were right about one thing: It saves me the time to even look at someones full list since I go straight into "have a nice day" mode.
Old 2011-03-15, 02:44 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

Maybe you just have a problem with the wording. Lots of tapers hold things out of circulation as bait for things they really want. If no one knows you have it, no one will offer to trade for it. Maybe you'd prefer "rare trade" or something as opposed to "not for trade."

I prefer to just list it & ignore an offer if there's nothing I want that I'll trade it for.
And the shows I'm asked to not trade either get listed or they don't. Sometimes I list 'em just to document the show if there isn't an etree database entry for that show. Or I've contacted fan sites to tell them there is a recording of a certain date, although I usually don't point out that I have it.

I think it's good to have the info out there, even if the recording isn't.

Quote:
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2011-03-15, 03:11 PM
405.32 GB/478.78 GB/1.18

I wasn't talking about RT items. That'd be a separate and equally controversial discussion.

In the very end it is 'to each their own' anyway. But my experience in over 20 years of trading is plain and simple: What goes around comes around.
Old 2011-03-15, 07:25 PM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

just a lot of "much ado about nothing" ^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
You wall-eyed apple-knocking pig-fuckers! You don't know shit!
Old 2011-03-15, 11:10 PM
67.92 GB/18.51 GB/0.27

dont see anything really wrong with listing shit "not for trade." the only way i can see someone being pissed is they have nothing to offer in return
Old 2011-03-16, 04:15 AM
405.32 GB/478.78 GB/1.18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinajoe View Post
dont see anything really wrong with listing shit "not for trade." the only way i can see someone being pissed is they have nothing to offer in return
Old 2011-03-17, 01:06 AM
872.76 GB/412.35 GB/0.47

If I come across somebody that has a list containing shows that aren't for trade then I don't trade with them. As far as a rare trade goes, who decides what's rare. I don't let these things bother me but I can understand how it can bother some people...I'm just not one of them.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions