The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2010-11-21, 03:43 PM
Non Serviam
3.27 TB/25.59 TB/7.82

Arrow Phantom Peers

While DL'ing and seeding the Neil Young Rock In Rio Madrid 2008 DVD.torrent I've noticed a number of peers/leachers come and go that do not show up on the torrent page Peers List nor do they ever show up in the "Last Few Who Completed" list. For example, right now, in the attached screenshot you can see that everybody is uploading to...who? I can give you an IP if you want, but not in public. I am getting credit for my upload, but I am just wondering if this is just a glitch in the TTD software or if folks not even members of TTD are hacking into the swarm somehow?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PhantomPeers.jpg
( 150.4 KB, 52 views)

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-11-21, 06:43 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Phantom Peers

If a user doesn't create the torrent as a private user, and you have DHT on in your torrent client, then you may connect to other users and bypass the tracker thus they don't show up on the list and never show up as completes. This is why we recommend creating the torrent as 'private' and turning DHT off.

Old 2010-11-21, 08:16 PM
Non Serviam
3.27 TB/25.59 TB/7.82

Re: Phantom Peers

Thanks for the suggestion Lynne, I just double-checked and both "Enable DHT Network" and "Enable DHT for New Torrents" are not checked (Both are OFF). I am running the latest µTorrent beta build so maybe there is an issue with that.

Been meaning to switch to OneSwarm and integrate a normally-closed (W)IPFW script anyways...still this a good reminder for us all that there are rogue leachers out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
If a user doesn't create the torrent as a private user, and you have DHT on in your torrent client, then you may connect to other users and bypass the tracker thus they don't show up on the list and never show up as completes. This is why we recommend creating the torrent as 'private' and turning DHT off.

Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. --Jerry Garcia

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble