The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
• Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2010-11-06, 08:20 PM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Re: Standalone FLAC player to connect to HiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer View Post
I actually plan to buy a desktop just for media. You can get one so cheap, why pay just as much for a dedicated stand-alone piece of hardware?
Because I don't want a desktop, with fan noise etc in my listening room

Because I don't want a monitor in my listening room

Because I don't have a PC in the listening room at the moment, and I want to keep it that way, with a standalone FLAC player (or possibly something like a Squeezebox with a fanless outboard drive)
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-11-07, 07:01 AM
3.75 GB/4.22 MB/0.00

I've heard great things about the Dune Player, and their product line of universal players.

I could be wrong, but I think most of these function similar to a DVD player in that you need some kind of monitor to navigate through menus and files. Even the squeezebox has a small monitor built in.

Last edited by sysoverload; 2010-11-07 at 07:10 AM.
Old 2010-11-07, 07:54 AM
305.86 GB/764.55 GB/2.50

I think a monitor of some sort is mandatory to run a FLAC standalone system.

I can see not wanting to have a PC system that occupies so much space but there are plenty of options when it comes to digital music.
Old 2010-11-07, 08:33 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

By 'monitor' I mean something of 14" and above, i.e. a PC monitor. There's already one TV in there, that's enough.

A small screen built into a standalone player is acceptable.
Old 2010-11-07, 09:48 AM
3.75 GB/4.22 MB/0.00

Your TV could be used as the monitor for the on-screen menus of a standalone I'm sure...even if it's an old TV with only composite RCA video inputs. I'm not sure if it will play FLAC gaplessly, but Western Digital makes a standalone universal player as well.
Old 2010-11-07, 11:55 AM
305.86 GB/764.55 GB/2.50

An iPad would be an option as well as a laptop. Not sure which platform you use, but with MAC, the Remote app works great.
Old 2010-11-08, 06:03 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

The TV is the monitor for your htpc. You just switch to that HDMI input like you would for a TV, VCR, etc. The REVO I have makes zero fan noise. I control the REVO with my phone but also have a wireless mouse/keyboard I used to use. Browsing music, playing, stopping, expanding windows, etc. is much more easy on a touch screen. The REVO mounts on the back of the TV via VESA mount if you desire it is so small. You never see it or here it. You also get the added benefit of internet (and all your other programs) on your HDTV in the living room which looks awesome. A touch screen TV would be the shiznit but probably pretty expensive at 55" size.

Old 2010-11-08, 06:47 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

That's a cool mounting option.

I would like to set something up like this. I'm just not ready yet.
Old 2010-11-11, 09:25 AM
oxymoron
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltman View Post
The TV is the monitor for your htpc. You just switch to that HDMI input like you would for a TV, VCR, etc. The REVO I have makes zero fan noise. I control the REVO with my phone but also have a wireless mouse/keyboard I used to use. Browsing music, playing, stopping, expanding windows, etc. is much more easy on a touch screen. The REVO mounts on the back of the TV via VESA mount if you desire it is so small. You never see it or here it. You also get the added benefit of internet (and all your other programs) on your HDTV in the living room which looks awesome. A touch screen TV would be the shiznit but probably pretty expensive at 55" size.

Acer Revo 3610 is a very interesting part.
The price is also ok so far (amazon/germany ~ 320 €).
With the Blue ray it is also clear?
Even with video's in full HD resolution (mkv ...)?
Windows 7 is well done technically sound better than the older versions, but it is works with ASIO drivers?
However, I am still not quite clear whether he makes full resolution over HDMI Sound (24-bit/192kHz max) and I need another sorround enabled preamp with HDMI input ...

The usual players such as WD's are not bad.
To criticize the menu of these devices and what this is, after changing from dvd to flac itīs need a step into the sound setup.
Old 2010-11-11, 11:10 AM
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

There are a lot of alternatives just like the REVO. I hope I don't sound like a spokesperson.

The key with these REVO like products that use the Atom processor is to use audio/video software that allows hardware acceleration. Not all does. This moves the video calcs from the slow atom processor to the ion video chip (ion2 with the new REVO 3700). I use Media Player Home Cinema which is free. Without hardware acceleration the video is choppy.

I don't know that mine is setup completely correctly because I haven't had a lot of time to play with it. I am having some difficulties with some blurays. I get a little stutter (very minor with no drops in audio) sometimes. I have seen videos on the internet with the REVO playing blurays flawlessly so I don't know if it is on my end or they are faking videos. I get the stutters on bluray files when streamed over my network or with a USB hard drive plugged in.

It plays 1080p mkv with 24 bit audio perfectly. No glitches at all. This make me think it should play blurays also.

Keep in mind the 3610 is the old model. I think they are selling the 3700 now.

It is my understanding that it works with ASIO drivers and is bitperfect.

It does 24/192 over hdmi perfectly.

If I had it to do all over again, I would probably build a super cheap micro ATX computer with a better cheap CPU. Something like a core I5. I think you could do that in a cheap box for about the same price. The down side would be it would use more energy, be bigger, and louder but I think it would be worth it.
Old 2010-11-11, 12:44 PM
oxymoron
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
If I had it to do all over again, I would probably build a super cheap micro ATX computer with a better cheap CPU. Something like a core I5. I think you could do that in a cheap box for about the same price. The down side would be it would use more energy, be bigger, and louder but I think it would be worth it.

i think itīs better
a little bit shutter is too much. the problem is the usb (transfer rate hd) network (100Mbit is not enough, sometimes)
Old 2010-11-11, 01:50 PM
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

Possibly but I don't think it is the network (I have a gigabit cat6) or usb. If I use the same usb hdd on my fast home computer everything plays fine. Same with the networked NAS.

It also plays some blurays just fine. Like I said I haven't had a lot of time to troubleshoot it could be some settings. It's a perfect box for all audio, dvds, and mkvs. Not so great for blurays. My opinion. The new one might be better. Not sure. I agree a little stutter is too much.

Another possibility is something is getting lost in the HDMI pass thru with my receiver since the REVO goes through it which uses HDMI to the TV. I haven't tried plugging the REVO straight into the TV to test.
Old 2010-11-12, 07:20 AM
oxymoron
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Possibly but I don't think it is the network (I have a gigabit cat6) or usb. If I use the same usb hdd on my fast home computer everything plays fine. Same with the networked NAS..
the atom cpu not the fastest, not enough for ALL ...
think your "home pc" are much faster!

Quote:
It also plays some blurays just fine. Like I said I haven't had a lot of time to troubleshoot it could be some settings. It's a perfect box for all audio, dvds, and mkvs. Not so great for blurays. My opinion. The new one might be better. Not sure. I agree a little stutter is too much.
ok, bluerays are not so important in the moment
the price for a machine like yours (revo) are OK. you need for a selfmade
"HiFi" pc more money (good motherboard /i5 / nvidea /cool case)

Quote:
Another possibility is something is getting lost in the HDMI pass thru with my receiver since the REVO goes through it which uses HDMI to the TV. I haven't tried plugging the REVO straight into the TV to test.
by HMDI: short and good cable ! connected way: HDMI source > receiver (most important for the sound) > HDMI display
Old 2010-11-12, 07:22 AM
oxymoron
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Anybody know this?
Audiophile ASIO-Driver
http://www.aqvox.de/Asio-USB-Audio-installation-e.htm
Old 2010-11-12, 11:12 AM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
ok, bluerays are not so important in the moment
the price for a machine like yours (revo) are OK. you need for a selfmade
"HiFi" pc more money (good motherboard /i5 / nvidea /cool case)

I agree. I don't know how you build your own cheaper than the Revo.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble