The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2012-01-21, 07:29 PM
270.68 GB/197.03 GB/0.73

Uploading videos with unknown dates/setlists...

I recently remembered that my dad has an entire cabinet full of 1st gen beta tapes of concerts aired in the 80s. These have all been kept in their house, not in a garage or attic, and are in air-tight cases. He hasn't even really played them since they were recorded. My thought is that they should all be in relatively good shape. I have never uploaded anything on here, so I have a few questions.

1) These tapes are unlabeled other than artist, any maybe a year on some of them. Other than whatever information is made available during the broadcasts, I'll have no information as far as confirmed set lists, performance date, original air date, etc. Is it a problem if I upload them, only to find out they are already posted on here?

2) If I post a video, and later people in this community are able to better identify specific information about the videos, can I modify the info file without having to delete the original post and start over?

3) Any tips on getting beta tapes converted to digital format?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2012-01-22, 06:49 AM
81.11 GB/305.06 GB/3.76

Re: Uploading videos with unknown dates/setlists...

I'm guessing that spending a couple of hours with google (or somesuch) will turn up many of the dates and venues for these shows your dad recorded from the tv. Some of them may already be out there, so easier to identify.

You could even ask for help in identifying shows on here.
Old 2012-01-22, 07:29 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

a good place to research if the shows are already out there in trading circles is db.etree.org

as for transferring to digital, you'll need a beta deck, some sorta A/D converter, and video editing suite for capturing/editing/authoring to DVD
Old 2012-01-22, 10:29 AM
IC Elvis & hear God on my iPod
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Location: Latitude: 52,3500°, Longitude: 4,9167°, Altitude: High

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89gtsleeper View Post
I recently remembered that my dad has an entire cabinet full of 1st gen beta tapes of concerts aired in the 80s. These have all been kept in their house, not in a garage or attic, and are in air-tight cases. He hasn't even really played them since they were recorded. My thought is that they should all be in relatively good shape. I have never uploaded anything on here, so I have a few questions.

1) These tapes are unlabeled other than artist, any maybe a year on some of them. Other than whatever information is made available during the broadcasts, I'll have no information as far as confirmed set lists, performance date, original air date, etc. Is it a problem if I upload them, only to find out they are already posted on here?

2) If I post a video, and later people in this community are able to better identify specific information about the videos, can I modify the info file without having to delete the original post and start over?

3) Any tips on getting beta tapes converted to digital format?
1) I wouldn't worry about not having a (complete) setlist too much. The key here is to identify the name of the show and artist you dad recorded and work from there. Like Aaron said http://db.etree.org/ is a good place to start your research. If you have to name of the show/artist a simple google search of those two can work miracles (sometimes).

2)NO! Once you have posted (uploaded) your torrent of a show, you can't change anything to your torrent file anymore.

3) Referring to Aaron's post. And here in the Technobabble section you can also find a lot of info about video transferral.

I guess that asking your dad if he can remember some more information about these recordings, like the name of the programs, years etc could help as well. Good luck!
Old 2012-01-22, 06:04 PM
270.68 GB/197.03 GB/0.73

Thanks guys. I would ask him if he remembers more details about the shows, but with the amount of Xanax he takes, it's pretty unlikely.
Old 2012-02-01, 01:22 PM
91.46 GB/115.44 GB/1.26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabulon View Post
2)NO! Once you have posted (uploaded) your torrent of a show, you can't change anything to your torrent file anymore.
That's true. BUT you can edit your thread to update the info (if more comes to light) in your first post LEAVING THE ORIGINAL INFO FILE UNCHANGED, and you can always create an updated info file and add it as an attachment in a later post in the thread.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble