The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-08-25, 11:06 PM
61.85 GB/74.30 GB/1.20

How to edit the 2 second gap out of TAO burned discs easily?

OK everyone, here is a newb question.....

I got a Duran Duran live show that was copied without the "no 2 sec gap" option not ticked....now I have a group of .WAV files which were ripped via dBPowerAmp that have silence at the end of them due to the TAO.

What program is the best for this and is there one that will do it automatically so that I may join the .WAV files to make one and retrack?

This is SUCH a pain...and I just noticed it after having these discs for quite some time, at least 2 years. With my new forray into torrent and lossless I now understand why this crap is so annoying, and they were discs that I actually spent money on as well, so that burns me that I didn't know then what I know now.....

Any and all assistance is appreciated.

~Jet

Last edited by Jetrell69; 2006-08-25 at 11:08 PM. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-08-26, 07:25 AM
Alfie Noakes
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: How to edit the 2 second gap out of TAO burned discs easily?

You can rip the cd with EAC in one large file, and save itwith a cue sheet, and then instruct it to remove the gaps.I can't remember exact details at this minute, but I need to do this myself again , and I don't have EAC on my pc just now.Maybe someone else can help you just now.Worked great before when I done it - a lot easier than opening individual waves in an editing prog.
Cheers
Alfie
Old 2006-08-26, 10:13 AM
16.79 GB/15.70 GB/0.94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie Noakes
You can rip the cd with EAC in one large file, and save itwith a cue sheet, and then instruct it to remove the gaps.I can't remember exact details at this minute, but I need to do this myself again , and I don't have EAC on my pc just now.Maybe someone else can help you just now.Worked great before when I done it - a lot easier than opening individual waves in an editing prog.
Cheers
Alfie
There is an easier way than this, but if you want to do it this way then you should, as you have said, extract the CD as a single WAV file with a CUE sheet for the single WAV file. After the extraction is complete, go to the "Tools" menu, then go to "Split WAV By CUE Sheet" where you will find a "Leave Out Gaps" option. Select that option. It will then request a WAV file, which is the one you extracted, then once that has been selected it will ask for a CUE sheet, which is the one that was created in accordance to the WAV file.

This is the faster and easier way to do it. You can also extract the individual tracks, without gaps, directly from the CD with Exact Audio Copy by going into the "Action" menu, ticking "Leave Out Gaps", then extracting the individual tracks and creating a CUE sheet by going to "Create CUE Sheet" (also in the "Action" menu) and selecting the "Multiple WAV Files With Leftout Gaps..." option. You'll want to make this CUE sheet if you're planning to make a new copy of the CD. I've had problems with Exact Audio Copy placing extra silent samples at the end of the first track on CDs if I made the CUE sheet myself rather than having one generated by Exact Audio Copy from the extraction stages.
Old 2006-08-26, 11:09 AM
61.85 GB/74.30 GB/1.20

OK.....

Does EAC detect silence after a track and remove it with the options you mention......? I am so bent about discovering these discs are like this because they are live shows and it didn't really dawn on me until recently that they HAD to be repaired to make them proper....and I have EAC intsalled on my pc but haven't used it yet due to it's obviously advanced user nature....it's time for me to move from the novice EAC user into the realm of master CD ripper....lmao!!!!

I will need to set up my EAC to work with my drives correct? Offsets and such for individual drives as I am sure the numbers might be different?

I know OiNKS Pink Palace has what seems to be a nice tutorial on how to set it up and go......I will begin reading, wish me luck.....

HUGE BIG thanks to you all for stopping and helping, if anyone has anything else to add PLZ feel free to do so, every little bit helps.....

Last edited by Jetrell69; 2006-08-26 at 11:11 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 2006-08-26, 12:05 PM
16.79 GB/15.70 GB/0.94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetrell69
OK.....

Does EAC detect silence after a track and remove it with the options you mention......? I am so bent about discovering these discs are like this because they are live shows and it didn't really dawn on me until recently that they HAD to be repaired to make them proper....and I have EAC intsalled on my pc but haven't used it yet due to it's obviously advanced user nature....it's time for me to move from the novice EAC user into the realm of master CD ripper....lmao!!!!

I will need to set up my EAC to work with my drives correct? Offsets and such for individual drives as I am sure the numbers might be different?

I know OiNKS Pink Palace has what seems to be a nice tutorial on how to set it up and go......I will begin reading, wish me luck.....

HUGE BIG thanks to you all for stopping and helping, if anyone has anything else to add PLZ feel free to do so, every little bit helps.....
No problem.

Are you saying there is just silence tacked onto the end of each track or are you saying that there are gaps between every track? If you go into EAC and press F4 or go to the "Action" menu and select "Detect Gaps" (both do the same thing), then your drive will begin detecting gaps (although there is more configuration for gap detection if you want correct detection). The gap length will appear in the "Gap" column for each track (if each track has a gap). If there are gaps (which are most likely silence), then EAC can detect and remove them.

No, you don't need to set up EAC to work with your drives correctly, but YOU SHOULD. And that is a very big YOU SHOULD. Get Accuraterip for correct read offset correction values for your drives.
Old 2006-08-26, 01:08 PM
61.85 GB/74.30 GB/1.20

It would seem that something else might be amiss....I noticed that EAC removed the 2 second gap but there is still a little space at the front of each song and I used the settings suggested above...this is only first trial though.....looks like it's back to the ripping table......
Old 2006-08-26, 01:25 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Perhaps you now have SBEs and you need to fix those?

Old 2006-08-26, 02:28 PM
61.85 GB/74.30 GB/1.20

U2Lynne,

What are SBE's and how do I fix that? I am wondering if this wasn't a TAO disc copied as a TAO disc which added extra pause...it seems the end of 1 song loses a bit of info with EAC yet the next song has a pause still in front of it........

I have just used dBPowerAmp to rip WAV files into a folder....it would seem that I may have to try and edit these manually one at a time......

Anyone got any other suggestions.....PLZ??

Thanks so much to all responding.

~Jet
Old 2006-08-26, 02:42 PM
16.79 GB/15.70 GB/0.94

You may also want to check if the gaps are silent or not on the CD. With EAC, detect the gaps on the CD again. After the gaps have been detected, press F3 or go into the "Action" menu again and select "Test Gaps On Silence". The program will go though every gap and tell you the percentage of silence that is reached on each gap and how much volume is reached on each gap. This will tell you if there is sound in the gaps.
Old 2006-08-26, 02:59 PM
61.85 GB/74.30 GB/1.20

I tested them and it said 0% silence......the No Gap section said 0:00:02.00, and then it shows assorted peak levels....this is after the Gap Detection and Leave Out Gaps selections are made......
Old 2006-08-26, 03:08 PM
16.79 GB/15.70 GB/0.94

Quote:
I tested them and it said 0% silence......the No Gap section said 0:00:02.00, and then it shows assorted peak levels....this is after the Gap Detection and Leave Out Gaps selections are made......
This means there is sound inside those gaps. What kind of peak levels? The "Leave Out Gaps" thing only applies to when you're extracting tracks. Do you have Accuraterip configured for this drive?
Old 2006-08-26, 03:57 PM
61.85 GB/74.30 GB/1.20

Track one has nothing, the others in order by number are: 43.43, 10.41, 22.10, 17.52, 30.29, 63.17, 4.58, 39.41, 19.81, 38.46 percents....Accuraterip is set
Old 2006-08-26, 03:58 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
U2Lynne,

What are SBE's and how do I fix that? I am wondering if this wasn't a TAO disc copied as a TAO disc which added extra pause...it seems the end of 1 song loses a bit of info with EAC yet the next song has a pause still in front of it........
SBEs are Sector Boundary Errors. Here's a good thread for you about them: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ead.php?t=2422

Old 2006-08-26, 07:52 PM
61.85 GB/74.30 GB/1.20

U2Lynne,

I tried using your FLAC idea and it did NOT work......I still have this little pause before each song starts but it is part of the audio file as I have ripped them from the CD in question to WAV, it looks as though I might have to manually go in and edit each file before I do anything else.....it WAS worth a try though.....

Last edited by Jetrell69; 2006-08-26 at 07:53 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 2006-08-26, 08:07 PM
61.85 GB/74.30 GB/1.20

While looking at a file with audacity it looks as if there is a 2 second gap before each song starts with the exception of song 1 where it is at the end......and my Nero Wave Editor keeps going weirdo on me, something about not being able to read memory sumthin, sumthin, sumthin

Last edited by Jetrell69; 2006-08-26 at 08:07 PM. Reason: spelling

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble